Usergroups
The sandwish sindrome
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Basing items on character stats can be ok, but it can also be really, really bad. I'll go into that more later when an NDA has been lifted.

My personal opinion is rather than worrying about having to make items stat limited, return the emphasis to character development instead of item accumulation. Someone with poor sword skill shouldn't be any more likely to kill someone (other than himself) with a rusty old tetanus blade than a super-pointy shiny thousand-teethed flaming blade of dragon-snuffing.

-vaticide
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:40 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The thrill of killing a mob and the curiosity to see if that "ubber" item droped is a formula that prooved to be a winner.

On the other hand, skill based games dont deal with disadvantages like endless and boring camps and griefing.

Lots of games due to come out this year and 2004 are trying to get the best of the two worlds, its a dificult task, but the one that better succeed will have the mmrpg throne.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:48 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

It's pretty early in the race, but what's your money on right now Ligi?
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:07 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by vaticide
a super-pointy shiny thousand-teethed flaming blade of dragon-snuffing.

-vaticide

I have that sword!!!!

Agree with Vati-boy, and with Ligi, it's fun to see that spsttfbods (see above) drop, but then how about making it so a uber weapon is one with +1 to str. Or a super uber one would be +1 str +1 con. If you keep weapons closer together it will still be really fun to see that magical weapon, but it won't hinder a player whom can't obtain one.
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:26 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

RedTiger I will answer your question, but first I need to give you some info about my preferences.

My playstyle is around PvE mostly, the best times I had in a MMRPG were raiding or dungeon crawling with friends (pick up groups can be fun too, but sometimes things get out of hand)

Putting together a balanced group and knowing the capacity of each one and adventuring into the deeps of a hard dungeon can be lots of fun. Feeling that the group can only advance if no one makes a mistake gives alot of adrenaline and keeps everybody in the group on their toes and focused.

Having said that , for the near future (tomorow) I am putting some hopes on the expansion Lost Dungeons of Norrath which will create private dungeons considering the average level of the group.

For the exact same reason I am looking forward to play Mhytica (Private Realms Technology).

Some would argue - If you want to play on private zones why buy a MMRPG? The thing is that somedays I dont feel like raiding, questing or crafting and I just try to get a group of friends and go adventuring without the need to play a diferent game. And there is the advantage of gaining some items and money while doing it also.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:32 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think your playing style is very similar to mine in general. I've been more of a traditional single player RPG'r so PvE is mostly my preference as well. One of the things that's become attractive to me about MMORPGs is the idea of questing with a group of friends, that's why the idea of private gaming zones is so appealing. I'm more of a quester than a raider as far as personal playstyle. I will try the Lost Dungeons expansion for EQ, and I'm also going to try UXO for the same reasons.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:58 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Keep an eye on Mhythica too, Devs said that they arent even thinking about PvP, so the game will be only PvE, with private zones (like LDoN).

Also, Microsoft his developing it, so I dont think they will make the same mistakes twice (AC2) and they showed already what they are capable of (AC). Another advantage is that they should be swimming on Bill Gates money while producing it
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:53 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Daddy Gates money is a nice advantage to have. If they also have the advantage of time that should be a nice combination for the developers. I'll definitely keep a watch on those. Thanks!
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:08 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Someone should invent the "Glove" like they had for the Nintendo. Use that during combat. I'd like to see a person eat a sandwich then. Or make it so the "Glove" has the ability to shock, or pinch or bludgeon you when you get hit...lol...ahh thats classic...just don't get it wet a guess.
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:52 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

It'd be great if the glove would work both ways so that if you actually got up to get a sandwich it would suddlenly replace your sword in the middle of the fight.
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:33 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Lol....Crusted Sandwich with Mustard. Stats...1 Handed; Dmg 2; Spd 24 (Magical properties Dmg -3; Fatigue +4; Adds sleepiness to user)
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:26 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Don't forget Stinking Cloud!
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:39 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2