Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
please help! Do I need to find the gothic 1.28 (or before?)?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Fifl
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

please help! Do I need to find the gothic 1.28 (or before?)?

I am trying to get my german version of the Notr to work with my english game. I bought the english game in america at bestbuy, The notr I have I believe is german since all the text is in german ((not entirely sure where it is from I got it from a used software store)). I've been reading all the directions everywhere on the site but none of them seem to work.

So far I have installed the english 1.31 game. Then I renamed the Vdfs32e files to Vdfs32g. I go to install the 1.29 patch I Found on the jowood site like the directions say. When I go to install the patch though it won't let me , my german isn't very good but I believe it says I have a later version, being 1.31 and it won't install a lesser version.

Can someone point me towards an earlier exe file I Can use so I can get this to work?

Thanks a ton in advance!
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:24 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Fifl,

There is a shortcut. All you need to get is the German 1.30 patch and run it in extract mode. Extract the exact file "Gothic2.exe" from it and replace it with the english one. This will make the NOTR installer beleive you have German version 1.30 and it will pass installation.

These instructions from an older thread (by Cothyso, the guy who led the translation mod team) describe the procedure. You would start at step #2:

==============================

Step 1) Install Gothic 2 english version

Step 2) Launch the Gothic 2 german v1.30 patch in extract mode ( run Gothic2_v1.30.exe /X ) and extract Gothic2.exe file from it. Put it OVER (overwriting) the Gothic 2 english version's original one (it can be found in Gothic 2's install directory, System folder)

Step 3) Install the german addon

Step 4) Install Gothic 2 german addon's patch v 1.26

Step 5) install the latest version of G2aTT-g2DNdR ETM

Step 6) Use GothicStarter.exe to launch it

That should be all :PPP
===============================
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:45 am
Fifl
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thank you so much elkston!!

edit: Damn the Notr addon still won't install. I followed those directions exactly, but when I go to install the addon nothing happens at all. I click install and it just sits there
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:02 am
Fifl
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think I figured out the problem. I finaly went over to a translation website to translate the error message and it says theres a problem verifying the CD authenticity. I think I got scammed by this used copy :/
Seems official though, full printed cd, not like a memorex CDR or anything. Really frustrated now, I was wanting to play the addon! Maybe they will finaly make it for english. oh well 15 bucks down the drain.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:02 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Fifl
I think I figured out the problem. I finaly went over to a translation website to translate the error message and it says theres a problem verifying the CD authenticity. I think I got scammed by this used copy :/
Seems official though, full printed cd, not like a memorex CDR or anything. Really frustrated now, I was wanting to play the addon! Maybe they will finaly make it for english. oh well 15 bucks down the drain.

Fifl -- You wouldn't be the first person who had CD Verification problems with an otherwise legitimate copy.

Sometimes I think these glitches are due to CD ROMs and their drivers. Do you have a farily current computer? Unfortunately I'm really not sure how to resolve this. I've seen Gorath post some trcks before.

OH WAIT --- there is a way to install the Add-On manually by extracting the files from the CD (simply copying them, not running the install program). I know it becaues people have done it before when they ran into problems like yours. There is a post in one of the Gothic 2 General threads about how to do this.

Please make a new post in Gothic 2 General asking for help about this. I don't think people read the troubleshooting forums as much.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:16 pm