Why german?!?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
ken007
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why german?!?

One thing I don't understand is, why make the games in german?!? I mean, it would be so much easier if they just made the games in english in the first place... then it wouldn't be necessary to translate the games from german to english!

Take IO Interactive (A danish company by the way) who made hitman 1 and 2... they didn't make the games in danish first and then translated them to english afterwards!!! Hitman 2 has sold 3 million copies by the way!! And I also think that they would suck so much if they were in danish, so I don't get you germans!!
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:23 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

The german market is much bigger than the danish market:

German is the first language in Austria, Switzerland and Germany.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:53 pm
ken007
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I also want to say that I hope that PB will make gothic 3 in english and I also hope that the voiceover will be a lot better this time around, sounding brittish and medieval and not like some gangmembers!!!!!
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:58 pm
Angelo
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I think Atari is to blame, not PB. PB brought a good german version and then Atari screved it all with poor translating and the english version is also very buggy.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:37 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: Why german?!?

quote:
Originally posted by ken007
One thing I don't understand is, why make the games in german?!?

1) Because Gothic I&II have sold very well in Germany? Better than anywhere else?

2) Because text-laden games in English wouldn't sell that well in Germany?

3) Because Gothic 2 may not have come to live without the good sales of Gothic in Germany? (Whereas it sold rather poorly in NA.)

4) Because, 1) and 2) in mind, it would be an extremely stupid decision to not offer a German version in the primary market?

5) Because - as already pointed out - comparing Hitman, Gothic, the Danish and the German markets would be doing the 'apples&oranges'-thing?
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:42 pm
Angelo
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic would sell much better if it wasn't so buggy!
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:33 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I doubt thats true. People who dont buy Gothic do so because its not their type of game. Doesnt matter how bug-free it was.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:43 pm
Angelo
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Look. Gothic is one of the best RPG games I have ever seen. I NEVER played RPGs before, I started loving RPGs after i tryed Gothic! Gothic2 is good too, but many people have problems with game crashing for no reason and numerous other bugs. Its a great game, but english Gothic2 urgently needs a patch.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:50 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I never said it didnt need a patch. I just disagree with you that if it was bug-free then more people would have bought it.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:52 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

the advertizing was not that good thats why many ppl dont know about it
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:16 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

It is not that buggy at all. It is ad Daduleas said, It was NOT advertised for shit in NA.

Most people that did get a chance to play the game loved it. Most never heard of it in NA.

English is a more universal language for all to use.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:15 pm
K_Murx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why didn't they do e.g. DeusEx (not II) in german? They didn't even provide german voice acting... Or Diablo (again, not the second one)? Or Doom? Or about 99% of all games? Hey, and do you know with what kind of translations we learned to live through the couse of years? Okay, most times it was pretty funny (Civilisation I) , but some times not (JA2 vs. JA2: UB). The only thing you can blame Atari for is screwing up the english version. Nothing to do with PB, nothing with Gothic being primarily programmed in german.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:45 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

GothicI was a game wich was first released in German. Because of the good reaction they also brought out the game in english, and in english it also became a decent succes. When GothicII was planned it wouldn't be fair to the German people (who made it succesfull) if the game came out in english.
I personnely don't care if the game comes out in German first, as long as it also comes out in english and I don't care waiting for a while until it does. I love the game no matter the language (although I prefer english because I'm better in it).
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:04 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

indeed the game was made in germany why it cant be first in german language ? if u wanna play the game very soon learn german language
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:09 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

As a more general reply, germans are much less used to entertainment in english than other (nonb-english speaking) european nations. E.g. almost all movies in cinemas and TV are shown with german voice overs, while other countries show originals with subtitles. In effect most gemans don't have much practice with the language and aren't terribly good at it. Same is true for Computer games. Deus Ex was rather an exception than the rule.
So I think its best if gemrans make games in german and have them professionally translated later. Problem is that some of these professionals arent doing a really great job.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:18 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next