View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

Gothic's future - speculations, what we know, and a wish

First, a wish of mine:

I hope Necromancer will be a playable character class in Gothic 3. Melee fighters already have a good and "evil" choice, but Magicians can only be good (I realize Mercenaries are more like opportunistic rebels than "evil", but you get my point). So as a magic user, we should be able to go with either Fire Magician or Necromancer (and possibly Water Magician).

Another point to this is that we should be able to work either for, or against Xardas. Paladins and Fire Magicians should be considered good and work against him, while Water Magicians and Mercenaries should be considered neutral and do as they wish for money of personal reasons, and Shadowknights and Necromancers should be evil and work for Xardas.

And now about the expansion - what do we know? I'm guessing that the soul-gem of the Undead Dragon and the letter found near the Ice Dragon will be dealt with in the expansion which will be about the Water Magicians (Was the letter from a Water Magician in Gothic 1?). Something will most likely open up on the way back to the ship (perhaps those three empty tunnels will lead somewhere then). It would explain the wierd ending after killing the Undead Dragon (just walking to the ship).

As for Gothic 3, we have been given some clues:

- The storyline will most likely take place on the mainland, in the capital and the surrounding areas.

- The orcs will have taken over, or destroyed, the capital.

- Playing as a Mercenary, the "main sidequest" will most likely be to take vengeance upon the King (whom sent Lee, once his trusted general, to the Prison Colony).

- The "friendly orc" (was is Uhr-Shak he was called?), will now be back on the orc council and possibly overseeing the siege on the capital if it has not already ended. We'll probably deal with him and try to win back his trust in order to make peace with the orcs.

- The person most likely to be the "big bad", is Xardas (duh). I doubt they'll make up some new villain. Perhaps some of the "old guys" will have been corrupted and joined him (Like Lester or Angar).

Have anyone got anything to add, or any comments?
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

We will learn the protagonist's name! And why he was imprisoned!

...hopefully.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:57 pm
ballistic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

As much as I'm enjoying Gothic 2... I, for one, hope they go back to the Gothic 1 feel in Gothic 3. Just a lot of factions that scheme against each other. Including the orcs and the demons. The player will decide who to side with. No clear cut bad gus/good guys. For one thing I'm utterly sick of this in all the other games. And for another, it completely destroys the Gothic gameworld.

some potential spoilers below...

The Gothic 2's story really started to go downhill around the end of chapter 3 for me (although the opening speech by Xardas was pretty lame too). And the goofy dragons took the cake, of course - "I'm so Eviiiil, muhahahaha, I shall crush you, ", the nameless guy - "No ya wont', take that you big bad evil guy", Whabam! the big evil keels over from a fireball. Was that nspired by Marvel comics, or something? And what happened to the whole "the orcs are an ancient culture who've lived with the humans back then, blah, blah,..." intrigue of Gothic 1? I hope Pirahnia will do away with the 'kill the foozle in a cave' template. And frankly the Paladins as 'good'? Looked more like the King's goons to me. Especially the big cheese in the Castle (what an annoying character). Came to get some ore and flee on a boat.

But! if these 'mixed feelings' about the Pals was intentional that was actually GOOD THINKING on the story writer's part. Give me more of that 'grey' kind of thing, please. It helps immersion.

This is my biggest critisism of G2. Everything else was topnotch thou. awesome game. cheers.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:54 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just a few comments:

Xardas will probably be killed in the add-on to Gothic II.

Lee was sentenced because of the nobles around king Rhobar the 2nd, not the king himself(he didn't have much choice after the nobles framed Lee for the murder of his wife).

Orcs and demons are all servants of Beliar, and therefore on the same team.

You are the chosen of Innos, so you can never be evil, the ultimate goal is always good.

According to the undead dragon at the end of G2, the nameless hero was nameless, meaning we will probably never know if he ever had a name, and I'm pretty sure that even if he had a name, we will never get to know it. The reason is simple, it is YOU, the player, so he's got YOUR name(at least I think that's the idea).

I am pretty sure the following will make an appearence:
Lee, Angar, Milten, Gorn, Diego and Lester(the others might die in the add-on, or be left behind on Khorinis).

Lord Hagen isn't the bravest man I've ever come across in Gothic, and the same goes for Gerond, but the rest are honorable warriors. Sergio for instance.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:11 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

-I'll hope they add few more voiceactors this time to add more variation..And give us back Diego's old voice!

-In Some point of the game dialogue was rather poor.Remember how stupid did hero sound when he talked to dragons.I thought he was talking to some stupid orc rather than a beast with the wisdom of thousands years.Dialogue has to feel more "epic", if you get what i mean..

-Improve combat by adding those shields, so arrows/bolts can be blocked.Also improve sword fighting.For instance when i hit my sword from left to right it would actually hit everyone on its path not just the enemy who is selected.

- About mana i know this is lot to ask, but god damn its annoying to drink those potions all the time..How about making the mana to refill itself abit by bit if player doesn't use magic for a while..

-Rideable animals would really make traveling bit faster.Ofcourse player shouldn't be able to use them rightaway, but in certain point of the game you would have a choise to buy a horse for instance..IT maked sense not to have horseas on an island but on the mainland things are different.

-More neutral animals like sheeps to add depth into game.

-Bring back acrobatics, but make it feel more natural like flips,rolls and such

-Different kind of arrows to make or echant.Lets say you know bit of alchemy and you are expert archer, so how about getting some plants and poison your arrows to make them do extra damage or stun your opponents when they hit.Same thing you could do to sword.

-Better ending this time wouldn't hurt either.It wouldn't hurt to see diffent endings depending the choises you made in the game..

Last edited by Dez on Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:19 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah get some more voice actors... and for god's sake get diego's voice back it sounds like someone kick him in the nuts right before you talked to him

and get rid of that damn vdfs or whatever the fuck its called
i think we can all put up with the game taking up more space if it starts up in 1 minute instead of 10
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:46 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Will there even be an English release for the G2 expansion 'Night of the Ravens'. I see no release date for it. Also there is a patch coming for the UK G2 version; I assume that would be included into the add-on? Has anyone heard of a release date for English version of expansion?
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:30 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

xerxes chill out the original was released 8 months after it was in germany so it would make sense that they dont have it out yet since its coming out in germany in about a month
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:39 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The story of G2 was neat. At the beginning, I thought it was really cheesy since the characters were speaking in 20th century American slang... but I was able to overlook that, and a number of the characters/voice actors really fit the character well. Like Vathras and his amazing sermon in the town.

From what's been recently posted in the forums, it sounds like the G2 add-on will NOT take place after the ending of G2, but will be integrated into G2, so it sounds like it will add more "areas" to explore, stuff like that. So if that's the case, then Xardas can't possibly die in it or become "the bad guy".

Anyways my major qualm with G2 was that for me I seemed to exponentially grow in power during Chapter 3 and after that, battling anyone was a bit of a joke. Chapters 1 and 2 were the most challenging and therefore the most fun. Chapter 2 was a very enjoyable experience, as I had to navigate through the whole valley at night without a map. Chapters 5-6 were both a joke, in terms of difficulty level. Most people like doing the lame L,R,L,R all day long but I managed to perfect timing on the F,F,F without leaving yourself open to a counterattk (hint... strafe). It seems as if F,F,F gives you an auto-crithit at the end of the combo so its a 3-second battle for many of the weaker opponents.

And I always suspected Xardas would turn into a bad guy or something. After all, he was the one who represented Beliar at the Circle of the Sun ceremony in chapter 3... no-one paid attention to that? And no-one wonders why the High Priest of Innos (Pyrokar) can't stand him?

So for me, G2 started as a game with seemingly generic story with bad voice acting to a good fantasy that was too easy because my character was a walking SuperGod... next time I play it I'm going to use fists only!
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:09 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Xardas was my favorite character btw and also Diego also Gomez was cos he had power and i still dont know how did he get the chief place heheh
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:08 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i agree gomez was to much of a punta to be the strongest person in the colony, the only reason he never got his ass whooped was because he had his inulnaribility flags on for half the damn game
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:52 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Oh another thing... we already recieved a hint as to what's to come in Gothic 3, I guess you guys overlooked it...

The "psychic" in town, who gave only accurate advice... listen to his final vision.... "Darkness... evil will triumph... king loses his battle with the orcs... You (nameless hero) returns, but no peace to be found" etc.

evil will triumph: Xardas becomes Beliar's new member of parliament on earth and starts acting evil

king loses: self-explanatory, capital city gets razed to the ground

no peace to be found: probably you (hero) washes up on some war-stricken barren part of the mainland where there was once a town or something, but now is just orcs... blahblah

Or maybe you get to go back to Khorinis except now its partially destroyed and under siege? that would be cool...
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:55 am
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by konny666
Oh another thing... we already recieved a hint as to what's to come in Gothic 3, I guess you guys overlooked it...

The "psychic" in town, who gave only accurate advice... listen to his final vision.... "Darkness... evil will triumph... king loses his battle with the orcs... You (nameless hero) returns, but no peace to be found" etc.

evil will triumph: Xardas becomes Beliar's new member of parliament on earth and starts acting evil

king loses: self-explanatory, capital city gets razed to the ground

no peace to be found: probably you (hero) washes up on some war-stricken barren part of the mainland where there was once a town or something, but now is just orcs... blahblah

Or maybe you get to go back to Khorinis except now its partially destroyed and under siege? that would be cool...

Yep that's what I based some on the "what we know" stuff on, like the capital being taken over by orcs or destroyed. I just figured the "evil will triumph" to be relevant to Gothic 2, as in Xardas taking the power of the evil and become a greater evil himself. I doubt there will to two "bad" endings after eachothers.

I guess I overlooked the "You (nameless hero) returns, but no peace to be found" though, so thanks for the input.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:11 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

it would be cool indeed to see again Gothic 1 places maybe the old camp ruins still would be there abd the new camp has no snow anymore that would be cool and what was behind that orcish wall i mean not in gothic 2 but in gothic 2 addon
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:46 pm
Milten Rulz!!!
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

In the addon i hope that we return to khorinos and the war has moved to khorinos. I mean orcs everywhere, onar's farm, the monestary, and especially khorinis being sieged like the old camp. But i also want lord hagen and the paladins to go with me to fight against the orcs in the vally of mines. That would be the 7th act. The 8th would have something to do with the aztec pyramid thingy as seen on the picture.

Now for gothic3 im not so sure about what some of you have said:
~We wont fight Xardas until like gothic7 or so.
~Yes we will be going to the mainland and it will be sieged but not the main area where you join a guild, it will be like gothic2 where the vally of mines is attacked, so i think neighboring farms will be attacked of taken by the orcs.
~The guilds will be like for Lord Rhobar, For Lee, Or for the mages: and i guess you can choose fire, water, or necromancy: but necromancy wont be evil, it will be on good like xardas used to be.
~Milten,Diego,Gorn,Lester,Lee, and a few formiliars will be in gothic3 and they will probibly have a big inpact on the storyline.
~Now if you are on the side of rebels(lee) or mirtana(Rhobar) You will actually be fighting each other. When gothic2 came out i was disapointed at first about the guild's interaction, I thought that the mercanaries and paladens would be at hostile war with each other, and the mages would try to be keepers of the peace, (but the storyline made up fo that). But now that will actually happen.

Thats my opinion on what these games will be like
For me
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:52 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next