Usergroups
Planescape: Torment - Gamespy's 9th Most Underrated
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Mabon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

One of the two best games ive ever played.

Granted some people couldnt get into it because its not in quite the same mold as more popular rpgs (all the dialog etc). But for me, and im sure many others, who were able to get into the game it was an amazing experience. No other game has evoked any kind of cartharsis for me before, but PS:T did.

For the perpetually narrow minded out there that like to say video games are not a form of art, PS:T is a great example to through back in their face.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:02 am
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

Like I said, I like Baldur's Gate. I also like many other RPGs, including the statistics-heavy games of the past.

But PSTorment is like removing all of the fun from BG and leaving you with the unnesessary overload of endless reading. Reading a book on your couch is much better than hurting your eyes trying to read it on a computer screen, much healthier for you.

And I'm someone who can play a MMORPG for 17 hours a day for 3 months straight, without fail. The gameplay of the MMORPG doesn't strain my eyes and bog me down with reading. And I still say PSTorment is a big chore, not a game.

That is partly why the game wasn't such a big thing... Remake PST with the equivalent amount of text of Baldur's Gate 2 and maybe it can be called the greatest RPG ever. But as it stands, it is "like Baldur's Gate, but innundated with an unnesessary overload of required reading, taking away from the adventure and gameplay and fun".
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:09 am
ballistic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

awesome game

Yeah, PS:T was a great game. Well written dialog was just one of the many good things about this game. NPCs, quests, factions, combat, magical tattoos, etc, etc, One of a kind. always hoped for a sequel (and the ending set up perfectly)
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:51 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Planescape is one of my personal favorites; just a great story and a great game.

That being said, no, it's definitely not for people who don't want to get bogged down with plot, characterization or story.

For those folks, I'd say stick with action games like Diablo or Everquest that have a lot to offer in terms of 'power leveling' but little in terms of engaging story or plot.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:46 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
Planescape is one of my personal favorites; just a great story and a great game.

That being said, no, it's definitely not for people who don't want to get bogged down with plot, characterization or story.

For those folks, I'd say stick with action games like Diablo or Everquest that have a lot to offer in terms of 'power leveling' but little in terms of engaging story or plot.

How bout I stick with Gothic that has all those things, but presents them in a more immersive way? Seems like you think you are superior because you tolerate reading tons of text in a game. You are deluding yourself.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:18 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I hate reading a bunch of text in games. I always spend a bunch of time creating my character or party, getting every detail just so... then I get to the "First Town". This, sadly, is where I stop playing probably over 50% of rpgs. I just don't feel like talking to all these people to find out what they want me to do.

I think I started, and quit PS:T 3 times, all while still in the mortuary which is the very first area. I just couldn't get into it and I didn't really care much about what all these characters had to say. But I always read posts from people like the ones posting on this thread talking about how great the game was, and always had sort of a nagging feeling that maybe I was missing something.

Finally one day not all that long ago I started the game up again and got through most of the mortuary. Then I talked to an npc there and what she had to say got me interested in the story. That was definitely the turning point, and I actually made it out of the mortuary. I think I was about one third to halfway through the game when I realized this really was something special and it just kept getting better all the way to the end. Like I said before, I hate reading alot of stuff in games, but not in this one. After a while I wanted to talk to everyone and read absolutely everything they had to say. I would even reload and say different dialog choices just to see what they would say then.

I am prone to getting attached to my party as it is, but by the end of this game I was way more attached to the characters than in any other game I've played. I even killed a powerful npc that would have joined my party just because I didn't like how he was talking to another party member. It actually made me angry.

I couldn't possibly pick a favorite game ever, but if I were to try, this one would easily be in the running for it. Anyway I'll stop carrying on about how great it is. I don't think I'm superior for reading all the stuff, but I am glad I finally did it or I would have missed out on a really amazing game. Of course I can't say that any of you that didn't like it would have the same experience, but I'd bet that at least some people started it and gave up too early just like I did a few times.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:32 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought it was a good game as far as stories goes. I thought it was great with NPC interaction. I didn't like that the only way to use high lvl spells was to become a mage yourself.

What killed the game for me was the RT combat. I hate the diablo "hit em with a million week enemies style" of combat. The mordron maze was good combat (because resting was a pain as well as getting back to where you were), as well as the sewer under the temple district. But thats about the only challenging combat I can think of in the game. But I also didn't finish the game, I only made it to the desert screen past the prison where the genie guy that has to help you is.
Post Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:03 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2