Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Baldur's Gate 3 (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread

Re: Baldur's Gate 3 (PC, Single-Player RPG)

quote:
Originally posted by RPGDot Admin
Atari has revealed BG3 is in development but no other detaisl have been released at this point - not even the developer.<br><br>Show more about this game

Info has been released, such as, this is not going to continue from the Bhaal Spawn Saga, it will be have a completely new storyline
Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:41 am

NickThieves

Well...

Here's to hoping they're using the name 'cos it shares the scope & setting of the originals.

I seriously hope they don't make it 3d, but if they do, it better be isometric, and it better be without bland, repetitive, blocky graphics.

Worrying about crappy framerates, AA & inane camera control does nothing to submerge the player in the story. Sudeki would be a perfect example of why 3D never works, as would ES3:MW. In the latter, I couldn't see 3 feet infront of me untill 2 years later when I bought a new PC... And first-person perspective is rotten for RPGs. Lack of vision does nothing to suspend disbelief.

So here's what I do hope will happen:

The game will be 2D isometric, with 3D characters, effects & whatnot.
The game will have ~120 hours worth of gameplay.
The game will feature tactical, hopefully turnbased, combat a la ToEE.

And I hope they scrap the kiddy stories. I don't need my characters to fall in love with eachother, especially if the telling of the relationship is as infantile as in BG2:SoA.
And I WANT to see how my responses influence the characters I interact with. If I make rotten choices, I want to miss out on important information. I don't want a dialogue tree that repeates itself over and over, where no choices have any sort of consequence at all.

And I want a story that I, as a 28 year old adult, can actually get submerged in. Not some twat winged elf, who instead of comming across as a tragic victim of torture, who comes to terms with her situation, just comes across as a whiney teenager.
How on earth did they get the idea an elf - with a good 100 years worth of life experience - should act like a pre-teen gril from the suburbs?!

It's tragic that in a game of roleplaying, great heroes & vile villans, the actual roleplaying has almost no impact on anything - main story line to dialogue - and the only memorable characters are the villans.. Not the party.
Torment pulled off a damn good story, and some very good characters. It was not an adults game in any way, but the story was serious, and most of the actual dialogue was as well.

So let's see some proper D&D story telling, some real roleplay opportunities, and some fascinating characters. If they get the roleplaying & story right, the game can be txtbased & without combat for all I care. I'll still buy it.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:08 am

bahn_99

Bg3

I really don't see why they should change the dimensions of BG3. Don't mess with success. I think one of the things that became very apparent with the immense success of the BG and IWD games is that teh graphic really aren't too important, as long as they aren't tacky or gaudy. It's a hell of a lot better than pencil, paper, and die with a whole lot of imagination. The good storylines combined with plenty of room for freelancing are what really make it unique and so special to the PC world. I think BG2 was probably the best RPG I've every played.
Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:35 am

Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What I expect is a good gameplay along with good storyline. Then comes graphics and sound. Though, I like to hear some unique spellcasting voices and effects. "Vita, Mortis, Kalia" And I like to hear more than just 3-4 different voices of spellcasting. Actually all D&D games should have spellcasting voices, because of the rules. I think BG, IWD and NWN has it so far... OK Wizardy8 also has some, but they are terrible. I forgot about TOEE. That game was too short and bad.
Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:11 am
Gaidal Cain
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't know what people are talking about saying Lands of Lore, Ultima or Fallout were better than BG or BG2. BG2 was arguably the best PC RPG to date. BG was the first game to really make a PC RPGs that did not totally SUCK, and it did so by being completely different than anything made before. From the character portraits to the party-based system. It WAS non-linear, because it only became linear when you chose to actually follow the main quest, kinda like in Morrowind except that the MQ was a longer string of quests. The myriad interaction with your fellow party members was what made BG2 the most awesome RPG to me, and the quests were easily the best designed of any PC RPG I've played so far.

Aside from the ToB expansion, which detracted from the game, it was very epic and it managed to bring a detailed and extensive storyline without being linear.

Baldur's Gate series was as important to PC RPG as Warcraft series was to RTS. That means Very.

About a new Baldur's Gate, I applaud it... but they better make it good.

As for people nagging about the storyline, you just cannot be serious. Give me a game with a better storyline than BG. Fallout? *laughs harshly* I repeat; you CAN NOT be serious.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:13 am

I think that BG3 will follow the recent trends of having phenomenal 3d graphics. The problem that I had with NWN and KOTR is that you can only have 1 or 2 followers, and there was no isometric view. If I could zoom out and easily control the whole battlefield, have 6 characters, and still be able to zoom up and see the awesome graphics, it would be awesome. Some of the features of Warhammer 40k Dawn of War would be a good example. I know it's a RTS, but all that the combat of BG1 and BG2 was, was just a small scale turn based strategy game.
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:30 pm

Antiparadox

BGIII will suck if it will be in full 3D

Hiya,

I been playing RPG's since the dawn of gaming and what Bahn, Scoundrel and Nick state is just spot on, RPG's aren't about fancy graphics, hell BGI and II had the most amazing 2D backdrops any game had of their time, its storyline was the most indepth of its time and it still circumpasses games that came out years after them and by now we'r talking like 5 years ago.

When you incorporate 3D graphics a whole heap of things can go and will go wrong, but why do you think Atari is pressing for full 3D? They have a 10 million $ deficit to make up so they will go forth and bring it out in 3D anyways just to rake in the extra bucks in hopes of targeting a bigger audience.

Big big mistake in my book, what they should do is clean up the infinity engine, get full 3D latest graphical effects for all spells and swordswinging, 3D views of inventory items and such and just keep the 3D isometric views and 2D backdrops, hire some artists to make even more beautiful and crisper 2D backdrops BG and IW had and use your 3D to get crisper looking ingame characters. Get a storyline as indepth as planescape torment where you really had like a gazillion sidequests, interactive NPC's where your own party would actually talk to you(I just loved the little green skull in PT, he even had his own agenda and on later levels he became the meanest thing you ever saw with comments on him that you would not even dare tell your momma about).

So Atari plz stop ruining a good franchise and stick to what worked.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:41 am

Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Amen to that,

Stick to the original soul. You cant go wrong with that.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:29 pm

x.x

Fan boys fan boys... though i am looking forward to it.
Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:17 am

Risine
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's what all the ones who like BG wish, the gameplay provided and therefore the use of an "extended" and "updated" IE engine for BG3. But those are not mass market people....so if BG3 comes one day, it will be 3D, action oriented, and done in a way to be played and easily ported on consoles.
Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:45 am
yanof
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Atari & BG3

Atari will produce what they always produce. A much delayed, bug ridden, franchise busting, piece of crap. Count on it!
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:23 pm

Hi,

I came across this thread searching for news on Dark Alliance 3 as my son's 8th birthday is coming up and he absolutely loved 1 and 2. In the absence of Dark Alliance 3, what would you recommend as the best alternative game on PS2 to get for him - preferrably as similar as possible to the style of Dark Alliance, because I think he would be wary of anything that was too different.

Thanks.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:51 pm

modret
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just to reply to "Guest" I'd recommend Champions of Norath, or perhaps the sequel to it, can't remember it's name now. But you could buy the 1st one now and get him the 2nd one next year for his birthday
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:31 pm

quote:
Originally posted by modret
Just to reply to "Guest" I'd recommend Champions of Norath, or perhaps the sequel to it, can't remember it's name now. But you could buy the 1st one now and get him the 2nd one next year for his birthday

Thanks modret.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:38 am

bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Gaidal Cain
I don't know what people are talking about saying Lands of Lore, Ultima or Fallout were better than BG or BG2.

Yes I did enjoy some of the ultimas/fallout more than BG1 and I would rate them on par with BG2. Enjoyment is based on the player, who the hell are you to say what is good and what isn't?

quote:
BG2 was arguably the best PC RPG to date. BG was the first game to really make a PC RPGs that did not totally SUCK

*yawn* you must be new to the genre. I've been playing rpg's since the early 80's and I can state quite a few that were better. "First RPG that did not totally suck", give me a break....I take it you never played wizardry 6? Did you play the gold box games? Did you play ultima 4?

quote:

and it did so by being completely different than anything made before.

Nice vague comment there. How was it "completely" different?

quote:
As for people nagging about the storyline, you just cannot be serious. Give me a game with a better storyline than BG. Fallout? *laughs harshly* I repeat; you CAN NOT be serious.

Childish comment, Story lines are very subjective to the player, some enjoy fantasy settings others don't. I would say Ravenloft:Stone prophet, Ultima 7 part 2 and Buck rogers countdown to doomsday all had a better storylines.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next