Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
any new or recent turn-based RPGs out there?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

any new or recent turn-based RPGs out there?

So, I've been away from computer games for a little while. (well, I have been playing Civ2 a bit... ) Have the consols taken over everything, or are there still any turn-based rpg's out there? Last turn-based game I got was Temple of Elemental Evil...anything out there or on the horizon? Anything at all...?
Post Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It's pretty thin beyond NWN2. There are some indie titles (Eschalon, Dungeon Delvers) that look promising, but you're going to make some compromises dropping down to indies.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu May 18, 2006 10:48 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

I remember hearing that Gods might have found a publisher; it's a TB game and there's always Grimoire somewhere on the horizon!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri May 19, 2006 6:46 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Seems like turn based RPGs are very very very... rare these days.
Post Fri May 19, 2006 7:07 am
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks anyway.
I guess I just have to go back to Civilization 2 and Alpha Centauri.

I'll come back in a years time or so and ask the same question over again. hehe.

dteowner: isn't NWN2 realtime with pause-option?

corwin: how long do you think we have to wait for Gods and Grimoire?
Post Sun May 21, 2006 8:47 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Grolav
dteowner: isn't NWN2 realtime with pause-option?
It's D&D rules, so it's turn-based. They've set up combat to play continuous, but each side is still getting a discrete turn which you can control. It was sort of like the option in Wiz8 (I assume you've played that gem) where you could have combat continue from turn to turn without your input.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun May 21, 2006 9:14 pm
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
It's D&D rules, so it's turn-based. They've set up combat to play continuous, but each side is still getting a discrete turn which you can control. It was sort of like the option in Wiz8 (I assume you've played that gem) where you could have combat continue from turn to turn without your input.

Sorry, no I haven't playd Wiz8 (bow my head in shame ). I played a demo, and the first person wiev confused me. I felt I lost the overwiev of the battelfield/combat...but at least it was turn-based. I have played NWN and never got any longer then to the first chapter, I got tired of running around the city and clicking on enemies...but if NWN2 will have the same combatsystem as NWN, then I think I'll pass...
Post Sun May 21, 2006 9:32 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
quote:

Sorry, no I haven't playd Wiz8 (bow my head in shame :oops: ). I played a demo, and the first person wiev confused me. I felt I lost the overwiev of the battelfield/combat...but at least it was turn-based. I have played NWN and never got any longer then to the first chapter, I got tired of running around the city and clicking on enemies...but if NWN2 will have the same combatsystem as NWN, then I think I'll pass...

I know how you feel. I also never played further than the 1st chapter of NWN. To be blunt, it's a boring game. It just didn't have the atmosphere or the epic feeling of adventure of other Bioware games like Baldurs Gate 1&2 or Planescape. I'm sure it's a great game for multiplayer purposes, but the singleplayer game was sorely lacking.

Just recently finished Wiz 8 by the way, and I must say, it was very good. Be prepared to invest a lot of time if you ever play it,
Post Mon May 22, 2006 12:01 am
corwin

The OC of the original NWN was boring!! HOU however, was excellent. There are some very good mods out there, but MP with a group of friends is where it really shines. Don't forget, we run a NWN PW here at the Dot and can schedule DM run gaming sessions. There is a separate forum for discussions pertaining to that.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon May 22, 2006 6:21 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Sorry, no I haven't playd Wiz8 (bow my head in shame ). I played a demo, and the first person wiev confused me. I felt I lost the overwiev of the battelfield/combat...but at least it was turn-based.

I would suggest to get back to Wiz8 and give it another try. It was without doubt very good game. Sure there were several glitches...

Anyway, I understand that it may not suit your personal preferences.
Post Mon May 22, 2006 7:12 am