Usergroups
Very Slow Site Navigation?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > RPGDot

Author Thread
Kaniver
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree it's the damn ads. I realize this is an important revenue stream but someone needs to streamline these things. The adds are using 90-100% of my cpu cycles. Now if that continues it sorta defeats the purpose of the adds as no one will want the hassle. I have noticed this problem occasionaily several months ago but it seemed to clear up in a day or two. This is getting persistant now.

I'm pretty computer savy......the ads are using to much horsepower.........very frustrating................help guys.................this is an important site.
Post Mon May 09, 2005 5:24 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If you are using Firefox, then look here.
Post Mon May 09, 2005 5:35 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Check out this thread:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331888

Our best suggestion is to use the AdBlock extension (or use IE to access RPGDot for the time being).

Edit - Ah, Val was too quick for me.
Post Mon May 09, 2005 5:36 pm
CassRo
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

Yes, you can use AdBlock, but there is a problem - not important for now, but...

AdBlock stops almost/all the banners etc., so if this thing grows to a larger scale (check out my sig), it will mean that some companies will stop advertising on the Internet, so thousands of sites shall grow bankrupt (don't think the Dot will follow these sites), I mean those that use up a large quantity of space and need money, but have no source of income other than ads.
It is true, though, that the effectiveness of these ads (for games or other pricely programs/services) is very small.

...just wanted to inform you on this matter, if you already know then I am sorry.

You read this text AGAIN?! ARGHH! Stop reading! Now! You're still reading this, aren't you. *sigh* Sure, read, I doesn't bother me. Really! Read on, dude. Cool. READ. Ok, enough! Stop! ... I hate you ... If you don't stop I'll replay Manhunt and I'll show you what I can do with a toothpick!!!11 Save the Whales!!!!!!111oneoneone
Post Tue May 10, 2005 10:54 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by CassRo
AdBlock stops almost/all the banners etc., so if this thing grows to a larger scale (check out my sig), it will mean that some companies will stop advertising on the Internet, so thousands of sites shall grow bankrupt (don't think the Dot will follow these sites), I mean those that use up a large quantity of space and need money, but have no source of income other than ads.

Good point. I agree with you. Extensive use of adds blocking can be a very dangerous problem in future.
Post Thu May 12, 2005 8:09 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

One thing you can do with AdBlock is to choose "Hide Ads" instead of "Remove Ads", this way you will download them anyway, and the site will get payed, you just don't see them.

I'm not sure if it works if you have this Ads/Flash slowing down very much problem though.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu May 12, 2005 9:50 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Didn't see a reason to open a new thread. I have gotten the following error message on a few seamingly random occassions lately and I don't know if it is my set up or just a site situation. If someone knows the answer I would be curious to know.

phpBB Critical Error
Could not query config information.

Seems to always hit when going from a view topic back to the index or from a link back to topic. Doesn't do it all the time. No rhyme or reason I can figure out.
Mark Twain
Post Mon May 16, 2005 8:46 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have had the same problem recently, I think it has something to do with the system refreshing or something, afaik it happens randomly and you just have to wait a minute, then everything goes smoothly again.
Post Mon May 16, 2005 8:54 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

I think that happens when site overloaded. When too much people access it at the same time. At least at sometimes happened to me when the guest count + the member count online was in high numbers.

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Mon May 16, 2005 8:57 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Site situation. Seems to happen when there are more than 150 viewers (at least for me - only sometimes though).
Post Mon May 16, 2005 8:58 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks guys. As long as it isn't me I can live with it. It is good news if it is the site overloaded. lol Means we are doing a booming trade here. lol
Mark Twain
Post Tue May 17, 2005 3:06 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Just to add my 2¢ worth. The site really crawls for me as well. It's been doing that for a while. I've switched to other crpg sites for my news now but still like
to come to the dot. I'm in St. Louis, Mo USA and have a T1 at work and a 5 mb cable connection at home. It's slightly faster at home but still dog slow compared to every other site I visit. I visit 40-50 websites daily. I don't ever see a pop-up add but I guess that is what's taking so long for the page to load.
I don't pay anything to use your site, so I'm definitely not complaining. I get exactly what I pay for.
Post Tue May 31, 2005 10:40 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Just out of curiosity. Why was the forum yesterday evening until today morning not reachable ?
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:40 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

It was for me. Got the "phpBB2 Critical Error, could not query config information", or something like that, message all the time.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:29 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

There was a problem on the server that was not fixed until today because I was offline for the better part of yesterday. As such I never noticed it and could not take care of it until today.
The problem itself could occur again in principle and we are working on making sure it doesn't.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:03 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next