Questions About Thieves Dagger
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I bought this item in Arnika, it's called 'Thieves Dagger.'

It has very nice stats, but the one I bought is cursed.

My first question is this. Are all of these daggers cursed? If not, any ideas on where I can find one that isn't?

Second, assuming that all 'Thieves Daggers' are cursed, what are the negative effects? I don't mind using a cursed item as long as the negative effects don't outweigh the benefits of using the item.

Just wondering if anyone has used this item and what their experiences were. Thanks!
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:21 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Yes...I've used the thieves dagger often enough...usually when I have myles in my party, I give him that as a melee weapon. For the record, the ones I've used haven't been cursed..But I don't recall where I got them..

As for the second part of your question, I THINK the only effect of cursed items is that you cannot remove them. i.e. once you put them on, they are on for good, until you cast remove curse (or something like that.) This means that you cannot switch weapons in battle, either...so, if you want a guy to have melee/ranged combat abilities, one of his weapons cannot be cursed..

Hope this helps!

Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:42 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well, a Bishop can remove a cursed item anytime without magic, but not uncurse the item.
All thieves daggers are cursed in the game!?
The biggest problem with cursed weapons, is that you can't automatically switch between ranged and melee weapons during combat.
But don't worry, you will find better second hand weapons out there!
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:46 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

OK, thanks for the input, I just didn't want to equip the dagger only to find out it drains HP's or Stamina, like I've had happen in other CRPG's.

Thx again :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Markus on 2002-02-11 09:16 ]
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 3:15 pm
Fwang Thunk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, I've never seen a thieves dagger that wasn't cursed. It was the off-hand weapon of my thief-tank for the longest time - with bloodlust as the main weapon. It's a sweet little dagger! Some people focus only on dagger skills and wield 2 thieves daggers. That will boost your dagger skill for better short term results, but bloodlust will do more damage and in the end you want that sword skill for your thief...plus a thief can afford to build 2 weapon skills (unless you're trying to build pickpocket along with locks and stealth - which I would advise against if you've patched the game). Breath. Sorry for rambling! This reads like Rainman wrote it.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:26 pm
hatrossRig
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i was able to build my rogue up with sword and dagger all the way up to like 80 or so and pickpocket, locks+traps, and communicationall up to 75 too, with a patched version of the game. it was easy, i never spent any points on the combat skills, i let those go up on their own and i only put points in pickpocket locks and communication. by the time his theif skills were topnotch i turned him into a fighter and gave him some nice armor, the black sword fang with a kill% of 10 and a stilleto with a kill% of 10. so even with no critical strike skill, he was stilll pulling plenty of instant kills. going berzerk with these two weapons is excellent when combined with medusa stones or something with good ko %. my thief/fighter was practically just as tough as my =regular fighter.
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:07 pm