EverQuest II: Beta NDA Lifted
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

EverQuest II: Beta NDA Lifted

Sony Online has officially lifted the 'EverQuest II' Beta NDA. Head to the <a href="http://eq2players.station.sony.com/" target="_blank">official site</a> for more info! Thanks, Ben.
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:04 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Okey, somebody tell me about it!

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:04 pm
Benedikt
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

[quote="Ammon777"]Okey, somebody tell me about it![/quote]

what do u want to know?
if it will be imho such big hit that MMORPG players will stop play their games and come to play eq2? dont think so.
if it will be another good playable MMORPG? yeah, i think it will be.

but wow in beta is more or less finished game, eq2 in beta has still bugs and imho is not prepared to be released in same time as wow
ben
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:45 pm
RPGPorkster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

AS long as they patch during the masses playing the game, then I will be happy.

It has been a long time since the last big mmoRPG was released.

Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:41 am

Hi,

I played WoW and EQ2 Beta. While WoW is a game which is finished and pretty much bug free it is quite a simple game. I dont think that anyone who wants a game which is more complex than Diablo will enjoy WoW.

EQ2 on the other side, you start it and risk to get seriously addicted. Everything seems more complex and immersive. 24 classes around 16 races,...

The combat system is much more fun than WoW. The graphics of EQ2 are increadible, but they come at a price. I had to buy 1 Gigabyte of system memory and a new graphic card and still cant play it without lagging.

Quests are more complex than in WoW and more interresting. Although they don't help you to gain a level, as they do in WoW. At a point you will be flooded with quests in EQ2 and you will start ignoring them. I think that I got over 50 quests in my quest journal.

You have a blast and believe that this is THE mmorpg of the next years until you realize...

... You realize that SOE doesn't have such a bad reputation for no reason. There are tons of bugs. Things which worked when you started playing might get broken at a point and not be fixed for months.

You realize that the class system is not as complex as it sounds. SOE became so afraid about class balancing that they made 4 base classes: Fighter, Scout, Mage, Priest. Most sub classes(such as Necromancer) are copies of each other. The difference between a Wizard and a Necromancer are 1 Pet spell vs 1 Nuke and 1 AE DoT vs a high damage DoT.

At the end there are maybe about 4 different unique spells but thats it.

You realize the greed from SOE. They wont give you a convenient Auction/Vendor system. They make a system where you need to be online and stay in your appartment to sell things to other players.

Official reason: To not trivialize selling which would break the economy.
Reason why you have to go afk: You don't have to. There are plenty of things to do such as interacting with your pet or decorating your appartment. At one point you will be able to craft inside your appartment as well.

Inoffcial reason: So you buy a second EQ2 account which you keep running to be able to sell stuff.

You realize that what happened in SWG with bannings will happen again. There are so many exploits that its not funny. Is SOE in hurry to fix it? No.
Those things, even if they are reported might stay for months in release and then its too late. The economy will be broken, not because of player vendors but exploits. It is possible to gain over 20 silver with one tradeskill combine. Thats a lot of easy money...

At some places it is possible to make a lot of money and companies like Yantis know them. They will exploit whatever they can and break the economy by selling ingame money for real cash.

Since EQ1 I didn't play a game with such a huge potential but I'm afraid that the rushed release, exploits and bugs might hinder it to become the biggest MMO of the next years.

I suggest everyone to try it out though. Its an awesome game after all.

- An EQ2 reviewer
Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:05 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

thx for the review!

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:25 am