World is seeming sterile..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

World is seeming sterile..

Need more missions. More random events. I like the world but.. it needs more to rise to ultimate greatness. After I get my Ody and conquer the world what will be left.. Caesar, alone with no friends...
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:57 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That's why I played EVE for a little bit (I don't anymore) ... I felt alone in the universe, like playing Morrowind...

But after the whole online thing I realized that being alone in the universe isn't always a bad thing, since you usually end up playing solo in online games anyways.

Restarting and keeping my assets personal. It should be more challenging to not have a legion of factories churning out assets as I SETA around the universe.

Don't use PSGs and take on Khaak sectors if you want a lesson in humility. Those capital ship Khaak weapons can strip an Ody in a few seconds...

Patch 1.4 has hinted at a possibility of combat enhancement and a few more high powered missions involving fleets of capitals ships sacking hapless sectors unless you mobilize your own fleet to save the day, etc.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:08 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Just curious Xen...why did you stop playing Eve?

BTW, anyone thinking of trying SWG to check out Jump to Lightspeed when it comes along?
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:08 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I don't play online games, other than NWN for 2 main reasons, time and cost. I refuse to pay to play a game I've already bought. However, I do enjoy playing NWN with others from the Dot.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:11 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Just curious Xen...why did you stop playing Eve?

BTW, anyone thinking of trying SWG to check out Jump to Lightspeed when it comes along?

The offline leveling was brilliant... I loved it. It seemed to be for my current free time lifestyle a perfect thing... then I realized I was logging in for 5 minutes every two or three days to do nothing more than make sure I was learning a new skill because I didn' really have the time to grind away at money making.

I lost three cruisers in the month I played... one to a gate camping battleship, one to a bad run of luck against a few 20k bounty pirate NPCs, and one in a storyline event (I was the hardest ass roleplayer in the event besides the Polaris employee... I debunked the GMs arguements for slavery with logic so the mission target, a super-heavily upgraded Apocalypse battleship hit me with 8 heavy tachyon cannons, vaporizing my Rupture instantly)... so combined with the 'play for maybe an hour a day and take in 200 to 500 thousand' I was a HELLISH amount of time away from getting a battleship. Not three months, as is average, but more like a year and a half...

Which I wouldn't have minded had there been other shiny things to distract me and keep things interesting on the way to that goal... but really there wasn't. I had the best weapons and modules for my mining cruiser and my battle cruiser, level 2 combat missions were getting boring, and level 3 combat missions took three or four or five times as long to complete for double the money and 10 times the risk. Mining was ok but nothing I'd want to do constantly.

Too much distance between ship 'levels', I guess. In a MMORPG I like to think that I'm advancing (part of SWG was that I maxed out my skill points in three months, which meant I stayed in the game for another three helping out my PA, and then when most of them quit from being sick 'grinding' for Jedi I logged in once or twice a month for two more months and called it quits a week ago (10 days left in my paid subscription as of today)...

A steadily rising bank account to me wasn't really advancing... it was just a steadily rising bank account. EVE was a great space MMO, definitely... though more active a community would be nice... but at the end of the day I guess I do like having a level or two, or hard earned skill ranks, change to my character. I guess I play to socialize and advance, though I rarely care about being 'maxium' level, and Socializing in EVE was chatrooms, which lacked an 'in game' feel to me, and advancement was time you had been playing times credits per hour.

And there was nothing to explore. Each sector looked the same after a while...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:54 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Like Xen said, v1.4 should address some of the concerns you're having. Ultimately, though, the game isn't as open-ended as it would seem. Like Morrowind, after you achieve a certain amount of power, there isn't much left to do. I'm still looking forward to the patch, though- I figure it might take me 6 months to gain "a certain amount of power", which ain't bad for my $40.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:09 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

More than got my money's worth!

Like Zen I might restart and not build the factory superstructure I have. Just do missions. Maybe be a pirate and trader. Would be fun to restart like that after I conquer the known world. Think my world will burn dim in a Chronicles of Riddick scenario where I sterilize all other races but the Argon.
Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:26 am