Exalted Potentate

Wizardry 9?..maybe yes, maybe no

i don't remember where I read it; but there is a chance for WIZARDRY 9
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:46 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Recent news
Keep in mind that Robert has always been overly optimistic, so I wouldn't pre-order just yet.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:53 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Didn't read that article. I saw a picture from a trade show with a Wizardry 9 banner over a booth
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:40 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Wow. A picture like that is more positive than the interview. Perhaps Strategy First is serious about getting Wiz9 made. The only trick remaining would be to get the old development team put back together.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:13 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

Brenda actually did respond to a couple of threads over on the VN Boards about Wizardry 9. Here are the links:

http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=51005371&start=51053342

http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=51247207&replies=52

Not any information really, but if there was something in development, she probably would not be able to talk about it anyway.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:13 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I wonder how strong is Wizardry fan comunity. Is it strong enough to push this idea forward? I think this is important. Btw. how many people bought Wizardry 8?
I really want Wizardry 9!
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:23 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I do not have data on units sold.
I dont have data on the contracts, and if it made money who did. Or whatever.

I do have the impression that wizardry 8 moved far more units than the average game. Because, as of 2003 it was still in print. Compare that to most of the games in your rpgdot top 100, it was sold as new through stores for two years. I have to believe its among the top third of units sold of any of them and probably better than that.

Only a few crpgs in the same time period were more successful in terms of units moved by my unofficial estimate. Games such as Arx fatalis or divine divinity or icewind dale 2 or probably even planescape torment or what have you sold fewer copies, at least in the american market. Im using examples from the forums on this message board.
Not as many units as morrowind or neverwinter nights or thereabouts.

Whats weird, is the game came out and at the same time the company went out of business or something along those lines.

It may have sold fewer units than wizardry 7, it might not have also. Its quite possible it sold less than was expected. Whatever amount it did sell was very high and you would think the next one would be capable of making a lot of money if you put things into perspective.

For someone at least.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:25 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So then I do believe that there will be Wizardry 9 :].
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:25 am
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If there is a Wiz 9, I don't know if you would be able to import the same "party" you had in Wiz 8 as you could from 7 to 8...as someone pointed out a long time ago, what would be the point?...Although I would love it if they found some way to do it...sort of like in The Highlander Movie series where they kept finding these implausible ways for Sean Connery's character to keep coming back, even though there it's impossible(he had his head chopped off) and not necessary for the story, you just liked his character so well....
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:56 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Take heart, Shrewgirl. There was nearly a decade between Wiz7 and Wiz8 and they still managed to make use of imported parties. Supposedly, the Wiz8 team had mapped out some of the basic design for Wiz9 before they disbanded, so imported parties should have been fresh in their mind this time.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:40 pm
Garrett

Robert Sirotek alse hinted, that there is an excellent chance for Wiz 9 (& JA 3) in an interview I did with him a few weeks ago on this very site

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=598
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Recent news
Keep in mind that Robert has always been overly optimistic, so I wouldn't pre-order just yet.
Gotcha covered, Garrett. Any chance you could pull off a similar interview with Linda Currie? I'd take any info she gave you as gospel.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:05 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

BTW, the SirTech website is back. It used to take you directly to wizardry8.com.

http://www.sir-tech.com/

Only the non-flash site works, and none of the links in there work.

Also, wizardry9.com takes you to the SirTech site.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:34 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
So then I do believe that there will be Wizardry 9 :].

Well Im trying to give one reason why you would think there should be.

I mean theres arx fatalis 2, divine divinity 2, gothic 2, dungeon seige 2, etc ad nauseum.
Theres sequels to games Ive never heard of that dont make mass marketing numbers. You can even read regular news about one of the wizardry 7 people making a retro wizardry 7 type game 10 years and counting later, and aparently it is being published.

Why there isnt already a wizardry 9 and an ultima 10 doesnt really make sense in comparison, those games sold lots of copies.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:10 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wiz8 was specifically designed to have characters exported into Wiz9. Like Wiz8, the concept was that depending on which ending you reached, you'd start the next game at a different point in Wiz9, including a beginning for non-import (or non-winning import) parties. This is all info that was back on the old Wizardry8.com website.

If 1 or more people from the old development team do work on Wiz9, I'm certain the characters will be importable. The data is easily retreivable, and can be converted even with significant changes. (Ex: Wiz8 modified the bard class, added the gadgie class, added many stats, added races, etc.). Consider the history of Wizardry in this context:
1 -> 2: import at same level
2 -> 3 (or 1 -> 3): import back to level 1; no exporting from 3
4, 5, 6 - no imports; you can't export from 4 or 5 at all
6 -> 7: import at level 5, IIRC
7 -> 8: import at level 5; while originally planned to permit an export from 6 -> 8, it wasn't implemented in the final version for whatever reason
They definitely try to lure returning players by keeping continuity through imported parties.

Would there be demand for Wiz0? Absolutely. Enough to make it profitable? Maybe. I'd love to see Wiz9, but I'm not holding my breath.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:38 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next