FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Adventure aspects
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Adventure aspects

Ok... I'm a hardcore adventure gamer and I'd like to know what the adventure aspects are like in MW. I don't really care too much about puzzles and stuff but dialogue and plot and exploring and character interaction is important.

Now I know I'm fully covered for the exploration part... I doubt that it'll be anything short of brilliant. But what are the dialogues and things like? I'll take two extremes, Torment, and Baldur's Gate, for example. Now Torment was abso-fugging-lutely awesome. The stuff is like on par with the best novels out there. And also, the options available allows you to actually play your character and your responses are intelligent. There isn't once where the designers force you to anything; any choice you make is entirely based on your character. The Baldur's Gate series on the other hand is completely sh*t. For example, when you kill this guy picking on a weakling and the weakling thanks you, your response is either: "That was the right thing to do! I only wish I could have done more!" or "I would never have allowed such evil to go unpunished!" or "Help you? I only did it to pick a fight. Now you're going to die too!" and then your reputation point goes up or down accordingly (and reputation does nothing except give you discounts at stores) I mean, puhleeez! The only Role you ever Play in that Game is that of a dumbass. The designers only left room for you to play either a generic holy good samaritan dumbass or a generic evil (but equally dumb) ass.

Now I read that Morrowind uses an open dialogue system similar to Wiz8 where you have a lot of common topics that you ask anyone. Is this similar to the system implemented in Redguard, Bethesda's previous adventure (if you can look past the really crappy action elements and call it that) title? It was pretty good but the only thing that bothered me was that you don't often make responses but rather are just given a list of topics with which you interrogate everyone, but of course everyone's response is different. But what bothered me was the Stratos Group review of MW. It claimed that all the NPC's were "as generic as they come", all giving the same responses to the same topics and not having any character of their own. Is this true?

And I hear there's this bartering system? Is it similar to the one in Fallout 1&2? I HATED that! You can never get rid of all the sh*t you have, because although the minigun you're carrying is worth $5000, none of the shopkeepers etc. ever have much money on them so you either have to dump it or swap it for another whole bunch of sh*t that you don't need.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:40 am

TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

I will try to answer, but this is only my opinion:

Dialogue: Pretty much just as you suspect. You are given the list of topic choices and the answers from each NPC will be the same for each specific topic. However, some npc's have a different list of topics. Sometimes the answer will be different or you may have a keyword that leads to another quest where you get to choose to do it or not. Nothing at all brilliant about it.
On a side note, there are a lot of books involved. Many many books, and the writing seems pretty good. Not like I sat down to read 100 novels or anything though; not my thing.

Bartering: also pretty much like you suspect. Most of the shops don't have much cash and many of them will not buy most of the stuff you carry. It's a total PITA to try and barter your way through this game. There are a few exceptions where a few may have tons of cash and buy all, but it will take a lot of searching or reading forums to locate them.

I personally found the environmental and character interaction in this game very limited and sad. The journal also wound up being pretty useless, because it has no complete and incomplete quest category. Just page after page of entries with some being important and others just taking up space. I found myself writing stuff down on actual paper and using the "topic keyword" lookup option a lot to try and sustain a certain amount of quest order. By the end, my journal was over 300 pages!! I am sure it includes a lot of loose ends if I ever chose to go through that unorganized load of crap.

I expected a lot more, but the initial release came up short. It has the typical "cookie cutter" story line like all the rest if you follow the path. You are the born hero that must uncover your secret identity to fulfill your destiny to rid the world of the evil villain....blahblahblah

As bad as I made it sound, I found myself deeply absorbed in the game trying to work my way through all of the quest to reach the hero's destiny.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:30 am
Lisje
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't know - in at least two of the early Hlaalu quests you are told to assist with some internal house politics. Well, I didn't like my house sabotaging each other so I tried to go around them with no indications it was possible (highlighted text or universal dialog options) I was impressed to find that had been allowed for and I was able to do what I felt best. The main plot seems to be a bit more linear, but I've found work-arounds for many of the tasks, contrary to what the walkthroughs will tell you, although I think a high speechcraft is virtually mandatory if you plan on taking this approach as it will give you more options when dealing with NPCs and dialog.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:20 pm