RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Ugly_Prayer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

God is a: who/what/when/where?

"God is a kid with an ant farm."
- John Constantine

Maybe - God is a gamer? God is a History prof.? God is your distant descendant?

http://www.simulation-argument.com/matrix2.html

I'm sure some of you have read this. If not - take the time. It is interesting.
Meaningless... but VERY INTERESTING. Just like life itself.
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:32 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

"...for tonight...God is a DJ..."
-Faithless
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:11 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

thanks for the link, very interesting
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:16 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

God is nothing, the concept called god doesn't exist, it is just a way for people to have an hold on, a belief that it can be better. like someone once said: belief is opium of the people. Or was it opium for the people don't rememeber exactly. it just doesn't exist.
Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:31 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

God is a three-letter word, usually capitalised.
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:03 am
pink-hippo
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Alcohol is God. It’s the Gift of Desperation for Groups of Drunkards who are Getting Off Drugs... >.>

(Thanks to Acronym Finder. XD)
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:30 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by titus
...like someone once said: belief is opium of the people. Or was it opium for the people don't rememeber exactly....

“Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions.” - Karl Marx (1844)
It’s an interesting quote, I’d like to read the whole piece if anyone can find a link.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, too long for one sitting though, I'll have to get back to you on it.

Not that I believe in Communism but I agree with him on this point at least.
And I agree with cfmdobbie, though maybe not the ‘usually’ part, if you’re in a monotheistic religion (one God) then it must be capitalized to be grammically (sp?) correct. *he he, how funny is that I can't figure out the spelling of grammically?*

As for my personal believes I do not think that the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God exists, however I do believe that people do ‘feel God’s love’ but I believe this to be a placebo affect.
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:10 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Indeed an interesting link, it might even make some people less arrogant to think about the possibilty that they do not percieve reality as it really is.

Anyways I do believe in the existence of God.

I think this argument is pretty much a poll, people who choose not to believe would be pretty screwed if God does exist, so they just keep repeating to themselves that they are god and there are no higher beings.

Seeing as how we are far more powerfull/intelligent then lesser beings, and these lifeforms don't even know we exist (because they lack the means to notice us, or have to short a memory, can't communicate) it would be pretty arrogant and stupid to think we are on the top because we can't prove God's existence.

(imagine fishes in a large fish bowl thinking they are the most powerful beings in the universe, just because they are don't have proof of us. (well this fish bowl just appeared with a big bang and somehow we appeared in it etc. etc.)
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:53 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I am of the opinion that many people will be very surprised when they die. Either way.
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:22 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well Val, only the unbelievers might be suprised when the meet their maker, believers who die and experience the nothingless can't be suprised I'd say
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:27 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Odd, I'd find it rather surprising in the split second before nothingness took me.
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:46 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hehehe that is just lame, knowing that there is nothing before there is nothing well the split second would at least be far more bearable then the eternity the others might have to face...
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:13 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by tolgerias
...people who choose not to believe would be pretty screwed if God does exist, so they just keep repeating to themselves that they are god and there are no higher beings.

Seeing as how we are far more powerfull/intelligent then lesser beings, and these lifeforms don't even know we exist (because they lack the means to notice us, or have to short a memory, can't communicate) it would be pretty arrogant and stupid to think we are on the top because we can't prove God's existence.

(imagine fishes in a large fish bowl thinking they are the most powerful beings in the universe, just because they are don't have proof of us. (well this fish bowl just appeared with a big bang and somehow we appeared in it etc. etc.)

But we don’t decide what happens to those ‘lesser beings’ went they die. Our judgment of them makes no difference at all to them after they die. I don’t discount the possible existence of higher beings, I figure that the closer you go to the center of the universe the higher the chances get that there are. But why must any higher beings be worshiped?

If there is a God and a heaven how do we know that He would send good people to eternal torment just because they don’t believe. Because the people that are tithed to say so? If the ‘only way to Heaven is through God’ *I forget the exact wording* then how do we know that though God means worship rather than acting in the manner Jesus wanted us to act. (following The Ten Commandments and being a good person)
The closest thing to demanding worship in The Ten Commandments is...
#3 REMEMBER THOU KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH DAY.
Exodus: 20-10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

I don’t see anything about worship in there, I can see how some who read it that way, but I don‘t see it. And besides any God that would damn people to eternal torment for not worshiping him when you don’t even believe He exists sounds like an evil God to me, and one I wouldn’t want to worship anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by tolgerias
Indeed an interesting link, it might even make some people less arrogant to think about the possibilty that they do not percieve reality as it really is.

What do you mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Val
I am of the opinion that many people will be very surprised when they die. Either way.
Given the different beliefs of the different sects of Christianity, even if the Christians are right then most are going to have to be surprised about a number of things. Catholicism teaches that the above Commandment means not attending mass will damn you to Hell, so even good Non-Catholic Christians would be going to Hell.
I’d hate to be you good Protestant Christians, the Pope, God’s infallible servant on earth says you get to burn with the rest of us and you have to worship anyway. *g*
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:42 pm
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

I like to think sometimes (though that may not be entirely right with my religion, heh...) that in the end God will do as he likes.

Very interesting thread btw, some good points are made.
Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:15 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Wow, that’s down right Sage-like.

Though if Hollywood USA has taught me anything, and it probably hasn’t, it’s that God has to do what we say. Ever see the movie Dogma? It quotes something from The Bible saying (I think that Jesus said) what we hold true on Earth He will hold true in heaven. (very funny movie; would highly recommend it) With all the religions and different beliefs within the same religions that would be some trick to pull off. And I think it begs the question, what if that is true and it means that the afterlife will be whatever you make of it?
As long as I mentioned one movie already, how about What Dreams May Come, where that was the premise. In that movie suicides and really bad people did go to hell, but only a hell that they created themselves because they couldn’t let go of the bad things in life.
And the previous Pope did say that Hell was a state of being and not a lifelike place, so why not?
Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:01 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next