View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Dulak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Would I like morrowind? (info inside)

Hail,

I played morrowind for a couple days when it first came out. I thought it was ok at the time; but I really wasnt impressed with it as much as I thought (ie was a ton of hype for it).

There were 2 main reasons why I wasnt impressed.

1. The game crashed alot on me
2. I found some way to get levels easy and I dont like games where they miss bugs like that; well I only played till like level 5-7 cant quite remember but what I did was I beat on this skelton or wraith looking thing; and while it wouldnt damage me it wouldnt hurt me that much; and I wasnt able to hurt it at all and I still gained skill. And when it hurt me enough; I could step out of the dungeon and heal and repeat; hence gain levels without much thought of dying.

anyways ... #2 really dissapointed me; because I just cant get into games where there are 'easy' ways to play it; I like challenges. I ended up taking the game back to the store where I bought it from since it crashed alot and I didnt like the game.

many months later ... I'm hungrey for a good rpg and the closest one coming out is gothic 2 and thats not for a month or so away.

I really like rpgs and somewhat like the idea of open-ended playing.

I'm wondering have they fixed alot of the crahses? and what about it being easy to level like the way I suggested? is it too easy? (ie this same way of leveling worked with dungeon siege too - think these guys would get it right).

I have played many many computer games and strategy and rpgs are my favorite; arx fatalis was great; still finishing up gothic (in time to start gothic 2 in a couple months).

anyways

do you think I would enjoy playing morrowind? or possiably the tribunal add on also?

Dulak
Post Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:57 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

Re: Would I like morrowind? (info inside)

quote:
Originally posted by Dulak
I found some way to get levels easy and I dont like games where they miss bugs like that; well I only played till like level 5-7 ... when it hurt me enough; I could step out of the dungeon and heal and repeat; hence gain levels without much thought of dying ... (it) really dissapointed me; because I just cant get into games where there are 'easy' ways to play it; I like challenges.

Your comment is so ironic to me. Are you expecting the game AI to cause one shot death? No save (permanent death) perhaps? Your hit and run approach is a fine strategy but it is your choice to decide whether to adopt it. If only this is a turn based combat game ...

Do you RP your character in a way that he is a brave fighter or he will retreat like a stealthy thief? There are also different built of characters that can make one's life miserable by picking less combat skills to major.

MW is a RP game so that you can role play your charcters not how you react as a player. Speaking of 'easy' ways, there are cheat codes around if you can't face "challenges".
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:59 pm
Dulak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ahh well I suppose I am a bit of a power gamer/roleplayer. Meaning I like to play and pick my character roleplaying wise but when I play I do my best to win and become the strongest.

I dont expect the AI to kill me in one shot but I also dont expect to level up on a monster that hardly hurts me and that I can easily get away from; meaning leveling up is like 5x quicker then regular combat with monsters your level.

I tend to like challenges; thats why usually when I play rpgs if I die I start over again. Unless I die from a stupid mistake - like the puzzle things rpgs often have of jumping from stone to stone to avoid lava below you.

anyways; I like challenges but I dont like easy ways to do things; I'm not talking about cheating either; I'm not interested in learning cheat commands or dl a cheat so I can have a uber weapon at level 1.

example I used in my previous message was dungeon siege; ie a low level character could attack a higher level monster and gain levels quickly. Seems to be a common thing in rpg's (and quickly meaning at least 4x as fast). To me I find that boring and easy; but once I know it its hard for me to ignore (because of the powergamer inside me
So rather then go though the tediousness of leveling up quickly and beating the game I just toss it aside.

On the other hand a game where its harder to level or should I say where you can only level in a nomal way; I'll play though think and thin and play till the end.

Thats just me thou; some people like getting the uber sword at level 1.

long explanation ...

Dulak
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:13 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm, let's see...

Lots of work has been done in the patches to stop the crash problem. This seems to have worked for the vast majority of people. I personally only remember experiencing ONE crash since applying the first patch.

As for the game being easy, that's a tricky one. There are lots of ways to make the game harder, which all work to a greater or lesser extent. Try some of the following:

Set the difficulty to maximum - they've added a difficulty slider that affects damage dealt, damage taken etc.

Play Tribunal - Tribunal is certainly a harder challenge, designed for characters level 30+. If you're a powergamer, expect it to be a challenge from level 15 up.

Don't use Long or Short Blade, Axe or Marksman - there are lots of these weapons and they tend to do a lot of damage. Design your character to use Blunt instead.

Don't use any of the known cash pumps - Alchemy, Enchanting, the Creeper, and to a certain extent breaking and entering.

Don't have any Armour skills as major/minor. Similarly, make your primary weapon a minor or misc skill.

Don't cheat. Really, people tend to overlook this! Quake is a good game, but playing in god mode is boring. Same with Morrowind - don't teleport yourself around, exploit known bugs etc.

Limit yourself. If you don't like the way you can repeatably raid the same place and the eneries respawn, kill everything once then go somewhere else. If you don't like the way you can use training to give yourself perfect level up bonuses, don't train.

Don't use Mark/Recall. It's too easy to raid a dungeon and Recall out carrying twelve times your own body weight in loot, appearing right next to a rich trader who can buy it all immediately. If it's too easy and it ruins your fun, don't do it.

Try a few of those, and see how it goes. If it's still too easy, try playing with the monitor turned off!
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:41 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

There are also lots of difficulty mods out there now. Morrowind Advanced, Giants, Game Improvements, Adventurer's... to name some of the popular ones. Some add tougher monsters, others tweak gameplay to increase the challenge. I would browse the mod forums to see what some of these do and pick the ones that fit your playstyle.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:59 pm
Dulak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the ideas cfmdobbie,

ya I'm not sure if I had the game long enough to get a patch; but I think I'm going to go out and buy the game again and try it again.

hopefully the patches will help the crashing

and I'm going to try a few things you suggested; ie from the few posts I have read seems like there are some skills that can garner cash really easily; seems like alchemy is one of them; I'll shy away from.

I'm probably going to pick my skills for the roleplaying part thou; not sure which type of character I will play ie theif, assassin, warrior or mix of them.

ya I'll definatly set difficulty to hardest then; should make it more enjoyable.

Dulak
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:02 pm
Dulak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Srikandi

where is the best place to look for plugins that give descriptions of them.

I'm looking on the elderscrolls.com site at them; there seems to be some official ones and unoffical ones.

do they ruin gameplay at all or make the game crash?

I mean say I wanted to make the game as full as possiable by putting in alot of plugins

thanks for your help
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:12 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dulak
I'm probably going to pick my skills for the roleplaying part thou; not sure which type of character I will play ie theif, assassin, warrior or mix of them.

Heh, okay then, play it in reverse - pick the character you play depending on the skills you'd choose for them. How about playing a pacifist monk? Or a former scholar looking for a life of adventure? How about a travelling merchant?

quote:
(on plugins) do they ruin gameplay at all or make the game crash?

Oh, there's great flexibility in the plugin system - many of them do BOTH!

I'd definitely read up on people's reviews of plugins before installing them. There's been a few "your favourite plugin" lists on these boards, take a look at them.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:51 pm