Morrowind Press Copy - Some anwers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Morrowind Press Copy - Some anwers

I will answer all questions in detail in a multi-part preview at RPGDot, but here are those I can answer in short here in the forum (the answers are spoiler free):

1) Do I like it?
There hasn't been a better RPG. Ever. And yes, it's a full blown, more than full blown RPG. Prepare for a real treat. Everything else will pale in comparison. And you will loose your work and your family if you don't pay attention.
Seriously: It is a quantum leap. There WILL be people that will not like it, but these will come from the Diablo faction, maybe. If you liked the complexity of Ultimas, if you liked the world of Gothic (not the controls *g*) - it will be a dream come true. Morrowind is immensly complex, immensly freeform and immensly big. For gameplay it will receive a 120% rating from me

2) How many races are there?
10 races, all with their advantages and weaknesses. Pretty well balanced. You'll find one for every style of play you can imagine.

3) Can you lose yourself in MW without following the main plotline?
You bet you can. 10 times more than in Daggerfall, BTW. You don't feel ANY pressure to follow the main storyline.

4) Do we have to install the editor?
No. I even didn't receive it.

5) Screenshots with variing graphic details , please.
Taken. Will be shown with the first part of my preview.

6)Talk about the combat engine. It's my main concern.
You can automate it so it always uses the "best attack" for your equipped weapon. It's not weak at all, but nor is it the strongest part of the game. You get visual and audio feedback on: you being hit, foe being hit. I am happy with the way combat is handled. Most fun is a combo of spell/weapon attack: first paralyze your opponent, the slice him. Nice death animations, btw.

7) Could the text quantity be boring?
Not for me, not at all. Well written. Not overboarding. VERY clever way of conversing with others.

Combat similar to Daggerfall?
Way better. Faster responding, with "auto best attack" just aiming and clicking, but the longer you hold the button, the harder the blow. Nicely done, really.

9) Concerns about MW being too dark.
No. Not on my card (GeForce 3 Ti200). Things stay visible through the night without night vision. Direct sunlight on your monitor is NOT recommended

10) Magic questions. Easy to use? Interruptable?
Easy to use. You ready it, cast it (can use hot keys). It seems it is interruptable, at least you can interrupt NPCs while casting.

11) What character did I use? If I could change one attribute with him, what would it be?
I did some. Pure Fighter, pure alchemist. I now stick with a custom class I called "Explorer". Some fighting skills, medium armor, long sword, alchemy, restauration and enchanting. It's a redguard, born under the sign of the Mage. I wouldn't change a thing really, it's exactly what i want to play in the full version then

12) Visual representation of how much an enemy is hurt?
No. Not that i know. It could be he changes his taunts when he's badly hurt, but no visual feedback for the amount of damage he has taken like you saw it in Wizardry 8.

13) Enemy AI? How is it?
Fairly good so far: Melee guys will chase you. Ranged combat guys will retreat when you chase them. Magic attackers do the same. Some will start surprise attacks (I once was attacked from behind and was bead before I could react).

14) Bugs?
Yes. Those I encountered came listed in the readme file. Above those - maybe a memory issue that strikes after several hours of continuous playing. But nothing else. No void, no getting stuck, no disappearing itrems or such. Already, MW is rock solid and more than playable (beta March 1st). If they get rid of the remaining ones until the release, this will be one of the most stable releases I have ever seen.

15) Is Thievery a viable option?
Can't say, I am not playing a theif. But based on the skills and opportunities - sure.

16) My system? Performance?
AMD 1300/100. 512MB RAM. Standard HD. GeForce 3 Ti200. SB Audigy Player. Performance: Can't have EVERYTHING maxed out. Non-choppy performance on my system is possible with max view distance, pixel shader on, reflection update seldom, no realtime shadows. Shadows are the most CPU consuming thing on my computer. With them turned off, I have enjoyable frame rates even in towns (including the cool water effects). View distance isn't really a problem here. I can see quite far . I had some fears that MW would demand a top notch system, the beta doesn't. My system is sufficient, works pretty well.

17) Editor questions: Can't answer them yet, sorry.

1 Can you cast spells quickly after each other?
Yes. Use hotkeys. A spell takes some time to cast, but you can, for example, cast a shield and raise your agility together within seconds. Yes. Yo can equally swap weapons pretty fast.

19) Can you issue commands when the game is paused?
Commands? No idea. What do you mean? When you go in your inventory, the game is paused, however. At least in the beta

20) Looking through doors:
Not from the exterior to the interior or vice versa. These doors don't open or close when you use them. However, doors in the interior work like normal doors.

21) Are there any bound keys that resemble ALT+F4?
no. BTW, everything is remappable. Including mouse buttons.

Hope this was informative for you
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:59 am
Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Pretty cool!

"There hasn't been a better RPG. Ever."

"one of the most stable releases I have ever seen."

Hmm... That's pretty cool.

Only thing I'm worrying about is my performance, esp. my video card (sys specs: P3-733, 384 megs RAM, Matrox G400 32 megs). So, could you guys test the performance on a crappy machine? (preferably with a similar video card). I don't care too much for graphics, but I want at least a reasonable view distance, and a 800x600 res (maybe even 640x480 if necessary) will be fine with me. I don't need shadows.

Oh yeah, I heard the journal system is pretty archaic, eh?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:33 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Thanks Rend, it was informative, very informative .
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:34 am

Can't really test it on a system like this, but I woud expect that you have to tweak your system and turn off some eye candy in order to enjoy the game. I think it's not all a question of the graphics card, since this is an RPG with lots of stuff running in the background. Sorry, but I think yyou are on the low end of the ladder
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:38 am

Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Thanks Rendelius! That indeed was very informative
I can't wait to read your full preview!

Too bad though you can't see how hurt an enemy is when you're fighting it... I would have liked to see a health bar of some kind.
Just to have some idea of how you are doing in a fight.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:01 pm
Jabbr
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Snoekie
Too bad though you can't see how hurt an enemy is when you're fighting it... I would have liked to see a health bar of some kind.
Just to have some idea of how you are doing in a fight.

I cant see this being so hard to implement, I'm sure you'll be able to do this with the editor or the devs might even put it in a patch if enough people want it in.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:00 pm
Weas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Pretty cool!

quote:
Originally posted by Aelhyn
Only thing I'm worrying about is my performance, esp. my video card (sys specs: P3-733, 384 megs RAM, Matrox G400 32 megs). So, could you guys test the performance on a crappy machine? (preferably with a similar video card). I don't care too much for graphics, but I want at least a reasonable view distance, and a 800x600 res (maybe even 640x480 if necessary) will be fine with me. I don't need shadows.

I think you're SOL there Ael. Your system is just a step up over the minimum system req's. This game require's a workhorse, if you want it to look good. My system is about the same as Rend's, and most of the previews I've seen fall into that ballpark (1ghz+ cpu, Gef3 or 4, 256+Ram) and they all say that they have to run the game on abotu medium settings all around as balance between looking good and acceptable framerates.
I'm sure it'll run on your pc, just not as well as you hope. Oh well, with MW, and NWN on the way in June, now you have a reason to start upgrading
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:00 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Very nice Rend...we're appreciative of all those responses!

Now, for an unusual question:

How many days have you had the press copy, and how many hours have you logged with your character??
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:34 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

iplaygames: I had one calendar day in the press copy. I started playtesting it Sunday, 1pm and stopped Monday 5am. During these 16 hours, i logged 16 hours with my character.

This should tell you a lot about what you can expect.

(and these times reflect local time here - so not much sleep before I got to work *g*)
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:17 pm
Azkiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Great

Thank you for your quick answers! I can't wait to see your full preview.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:06 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

YaY! A great warm up YaY!
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:19 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

If you have follow up questions - shoot them at me. No prob.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:30 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I've got the money in my hand waiting for the release. Thanks for the info.
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:32 pm
Jabbr
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What is the largest creature you have seen so far?

Last edited by Jabbr on Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:33 pm
Gwendo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
If you have follow up questions - shoot them at me. No prob.

Here's one. Have you found out something in the game that you weren't expecting and that has impressed you (positively or negatively)?
Post Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:16 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next