Need some help here.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Need some help here.

I can install Morrowind and then play the inside of the ship fine but when I use the hatch to get to Seyda Neen the game loads the exterior and then crashes to the desktop.

Morrowind: Latest patch (got it 2 minutes ago)

Computer:
1gig PIII
256mb PC133 RAM
40gb HD space
32mb GeForce 2 MX 400

If anyone knows what's up then please let me know. I've played the game before on a system for like mine (had 128mb more RAM). Got my own copy finally and then I can't step outside da' ship.

I think this may have been asked before a looong time ago...so I'm just asking instead of digging through way too many posts.

Thanks.

Unreal 2: The Disappointment
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:58 am
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A lil' more info about my CPU to help.

I just downloaded the driver 30.82 for Win 2k/XP (I use Win2k, should have said that earlier!). When I installed it Morrowind wouldn't even run and said there was a "Render Creation Error". If I switch to some very old drivers my GF2 will work but it's a really old driver and, thus, not good for games.

I have DX8.1 and when I test Direct3D it doesn't even get the chance to start the test but instead gives me this error:

"Direct3D test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)"

Normal DirectDraw test just fine (much faster with the newer driver).

If you need any other info on my PC to help me get this to work then please, just ask. I'll get the info to you as fast as possible. I really want to get this to work!!!

Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:42 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I have a geforce4 4600 and experienced CTD with that driver. I went back to 2.9.4.2 with no problems(using XP driver rollback).
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:19 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Have you got at least w2k's sp2 installed ? No unnecessary stuff actively running in the backgorund ? What about other games - are they working without problems ?
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:03 pm
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Every other game I own (Q3 through UT...Gothic...) runs flawlessly on my machine, with GTA3 being the only exception (and that's because of the porting from PS2).

Service Pack 3 is installed, and no other programs are running in the background.

In about 24 hours Morrowind will be back at Walmart and I'll own NWN if I can't get this game to work.

I was wondering...maybe it's Win2k? I'm using the Server build and not the Pro build...and XP is just Win2k Pro "Advanced" so maybe it's the OS. My drivers won't work for 2k...when they always did for XP. This is my only game that gives me problems and the only game right now I want to play.

Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:19 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

No idea about server build - I've never used it. If you can spare some disk space, you could prepare fresh w2k install with only necessary things to run morrowind (sp3, directx, drivers - stuff like that). It won't take much time and you shoud be able to finally run morrowind.
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:01 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

This is a very well known issue with compuerts with a GF2mx and a VIA motherboard. Download the latest GF2 drivers (which you already did) and make sure you download the VIA4in1 drivers. That not only fixes the problem, but also speeds up lots of games. (my 3dmarkscore went up by 40%)
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:10 pm
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I downloaded those VIA4-in-1 drivers and it still didn't work...clean win2k build and still nothing, so I am now the (extremely) happy owner of NWN. Thanks for trying guys.

Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:07 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Glad to hear you fixed your problem, one way or the other.

And sorry I couldn't help but I don't touch Nvida stuff so I wouldn't have known where to start.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:12 am
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Problem was solved...NWN at my house...Morrowind at my friends house, or I could swap computers with him, they look alike so maybe he wouldn't notice...

Post Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:53 am
Ral-Jiktar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It may be related to your (sorry to say this) low Processor. My friend has a CPU about the same thing as your. 1.2 gig. only diferent. and it simply did not work. after changing the processor to 1.6 gig it worked and CTDs where gone.

It may also be the ram. like XP needs at least 512 mb of ddr ram im not sure of w2k but it may be similar.

www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/ral-jiktar
Post Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:10 pm