View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Eaglesfan27
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Looking to purchase Gothic

Hello,

A friend of mine from another message board who got me hooked on Gothic 2 suggested I come to this site. I'm playing Gothic 2 right now, and I plan on buying Gothic 2 Gold for the expansion in the near future. However, I'm enjoying this game so much that I really want to play the original Gothic as well. I'm in North America (New Orleans) and don't speak German so I'm looking for an English copy. I'm not interested in any pirated copies. It appears that even the publisher's website doesn't have the English version for sale. Therefore, I'm hoping that someone on here might have a copy they would be willing to sell. Alternatively, perhaps someone can give me a tip on where to buy a legitimate copy.

Thanks.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:53 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to our forum!

The publisher Xicat Interactive is out of business, it seems. The chance to find an English language copy is close to zero. Ebay has a used copy every few weeks, but they often get quite expensive.

The only reliable way would be to purchase from a small shop shop in Germany who got a license to "produce" English language versions. They burn the 2 CDs for 10 EUR incl. VAT, which is a fair price, but the shipping costs make the deal unattractive. Overseas shipping is pretty expensive.

Many people here think Gothic is even better than G2, so donīt hesitate if you find a copy.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:14 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

This is one instance where a pirated copy is not such a bad thing. Which is worse......getting a free copy and the devs don't make a dime, or paying outrageous prices on ebay and the devs don't get a dime?

Frankly I think it is moronic that PB can't release a downloadable copies for a few bucks.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:43 am
Eaglesfan27
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome. I just put a bid on a copy on ebay for 50 dollars. The guy has over 4900 positive feedbacks, so hopefully, he'll be fair if I win the auction. If not, I wonder if that German shop takes orders over the internet and if someone could give me a link if they do.

I'm willing to pay up to about 50 dollars American as I've enjoyed Gothic 2 so much that I think Gothic will end up being worth it.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:07 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The shop is reliable. Many people ordered their German add-ons from them. They just pass through the normal shipping rates.
The English Gothic they sell is only a burned copy.

You could try the Gothic demo to find out if the game runs on your PC. Itīs not clear itīs compatible to every newer graphics card.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:42 am
Eaglesfan27
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have one of the newest cards out (it plays Gothic 2 fine) and I think your idea of trying the demo is a good one just to make sure Gothic plays ok on my computer. I've looked on several sites and all of their links to the Gothic Demo appear to be dead. Any idea where I can find a good link to the gothic demo?

Thanks again.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:51 pm
Eaglesfan27
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm.. I found a site with the demo. However, the demo was version 1.07 and it was in German. The graphics looked fine, however, there were no dialogue choices visible and no menu available. I wonder if that was due to incompatibility due to the fact that it was the German language edition, or if my graphics card is going to have problems with the 1.08 English version as well.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:23 pm
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Unfortunately this is a known problem with certain current graphics cards which will also appear in the English version. You could try an old driver version or, in case you've got another graphics card (or an old PC) available, you could try that one. The game is from 2001, so it's not that much of a ressource hog.
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:26 pm
Eaglesfan27
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by aldee_
Unfortunately this is a known problem with certain current graphics cards which will also appear in the English version. You could try an old driver version or, in case you've got another graphics card (or an old PC) available, you could try that one. The game is from 2001, so it's not that much of a ressource hog.

Thanks for the info. It's unfortunate that it won't run on my new computer, but fortunately I have an older computer that should run it ok.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:08 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Gothic runs reasonably well on a 850 MHz PC with 384MB RAM and a GeForce 2 (non-MX).
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:20 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Gothic 1 doesn't have any problems with newer computers. I just reinstalled it for the first time in about a year. It's running fine on my system.
Athlon64 3400+ ,Geforce 6800GT with the newest drivers, and WindowsXP Pro with SP2.

It's a shame that they didn't include Gothic 1 with the Gold edition of Gothic 2 or at least rerelease it in some form or another.

You might want to call around to some places that sell used games (Gamestop, EB Games) and try to find a used copy.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:26 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I read yesterday that this German shop will rerelease an English Gothic on DVD in early Jan. 06. DVD box, a DVD and a small inlet for 9,99 EUR, pdf manual on disk. Add ~15 EUR for international shipping and you can get it everywhere for ~25 EUR.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:38 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I guess you mean this site: http://www.rollenspiel-shop.de/infoart.php?artno=DTP0001EN

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:59 pm
ericmdn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Welcome to our forum!

The publisher Xicat Interactive is out of business, it seems. The chance to find an English language copy is close to zero. Ebay has a used copy every few weeks, but they often get quite expensive.

Thats funny, I remember when I first got gothic. It only cost me like 5 bucks and was in some discount bin with many unimportant games and cheap software. Now a few years later I see that it is a hard to get item and very expensive to acquire. When I browsed through Amazon the other day I noticed it was out of stock the used copies were sold for 179.95 US dollar. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:28 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

It took too long for most people to realize how great a game Gothic is. It was overlooked by many people who didn't know about it, and now it is very hard to find.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:13 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next