Does TOSC improve the graphics of BG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
draculr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Does TOSC improve the graphics of BG?

Hey, Ive heard that TOSC improves the graphics of BG. Is that true and if so in which way does it improve them? Does it up the resolution?

Its the only link in the BG series I have not played, Is it worth getting it and going through it if I loved BG/BG2?
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:16 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Not really no, it doesn't add to in-game graphics, it only has 3 new locations, that probably have somewhat better backgrounds than those of original BG... Well, maybe not

ToSC is a nice add-on. It is quite hack'n'slash, but it is still good. Durlag's Tower location is a dungeon crawl with many traps to remind you of Icewind Dale. An island where you get teleported from the Ulgoth's Beard location also has some interesting things to offer. I played BG with ToSC two times, both of them going to ToSC locations approx. at level 6-7 (before going to the city of Baldur's Gate itself). It was quite a challenge, but I was able to handle it. I found out that ToSC was a good way to get a rest from the main quest

Besides ToSC adds some nice easter eggs to original BG locations, including one particular useful item right on the Friendly Arms Inn screen

My resume would be - go for it if you feel like replaying BG - it is one nice add-on.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:48 am
draculr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I want to replay it, since its been a LONG time since I played through the game.

But the same thing that stops me from playing fallout2 is the thing stopping me from playing this, 640x480 is HORRIBLE on a 19" monitor. I would pay the price of a full game to be able to play fallout2 and BG1 at higher resolutions.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:41 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by draculr
640x480 is HORRIBLE on a 19" monitor

I see your problem No I don't think there's any way to run BG1 at higher than 640x480. But BG with ToSC is an excellent game, so... probably.. you could found some dusty old VGA monitor just to play it and Fallout, too No, really. A good friend of mine had a similar problem. He's a designer and uses 21" monitor. He bought a dirt-cheap old 15" ViewSonic, pluged it in together with his 21" monster through the special connector that allows him to switch between two monitors and - voila - work and play on one machine. You could try smth similar maybe.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:16 pm
draculr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmmmmm.....maybe I should try running them in a window
put my desktop resolution down to 800x600 and run in a 640x480 window.

I might try that and see how it looks.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:20 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

You will probably get annoyed by seeing your wallpaper in the background, atleast I would
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:27 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I replayed Fallout recently and although it didn't look great on my 19" monitor, it wasn't that bad.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:29 am
draculr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I gave up on the window idea. Not sure how to make in run in a window. What I did was reduce the size of my monitor, so I get black gaps on the edges of the screen (or course it does not affect the size of any other resolution except for 640x480).

Seems like an alright solution, basically my monitor becomes 15" or so

Graphics still are not great, not by a long shot, but they are much sharper then before.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:18 am