FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Concerning Morrowind Soundtrack CD and other issues
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Concerning Morrowind Soundtrack CD and other issues

I am about to go pick up the Collector's Edition that I pre-ordered. There is still time for me to purchase the Regular Edition instead.

My question is how good (and how long) is the soundtrack CD? Is it worth the extra money? Can I just go into a folder in the game directory and copy the same files and burn my own CD?

I have no interest in the other extras in the Collector's Edition, so a quick response in this issue would help me a great deal in my decision.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ooops... forgot my second set of questions.....

I have a ASUS/Intel CUSL2 with 384MB PC133 SDRAM, and a PIII 866MHz.
My 40GB WD HDD is 50% full and I have just defragged it. I have a Hercules Prophet III GEForce3 64MB DDR and I am running DX8.1 on W98SE. My monitor is a NEC Accusync90 (19").

Here are my questions:
1. Where should download the fastest NVidia driver (Nvidia, Hercules, or other)?
2. What would be the fastest overclock recommended by you the user for the video card and processor? I only have traditional fans in the PC not a not super chill cooler unit. Although I have installed additional case fans.
3. Should I spend the bucks and get the NVidia GEForce4 4600 (I think its their current top card)? Will it dramatically/visibly increase game performance and visually quality?
4. When I can afford a PC upgrade what is the lowest processor speed and RAM that will allow me to use Morrowind at maximum detail and performance (especially in crowded areas)?

Post Fri May 03, 2002 1:53 pm

HimalayanJake

Additional question to above questions...

I am guest/guest above.... My first time on this board. By the way performance and quality on this board is excellent. I don't have to waste my time wading through people's "posting chat".

The soundcard I have is SBLive! (I gave away my TurtleBeach SantaCruz to my friend....boot to the head for me!). My hard drive is 7200RPM Western Digital and I have a Toshiba 12x DVD drive.

5. What would be the best Morrowind game config given the system mentioned above? Is it better to run with all the bells and whistles at 1024x768 or use a higher resolution and cut out things like FSAA?

6. Is there any chance I could use my MS forcefeedback joystick with the game? I realize it sounds like a strange question, but it would cool if sword fights required you to fight force of the feedback (ie. as you get tired it is harder to swing).

Please respond soon my game purchase is calling.... ooops that's just my boss....
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:08 pm

HimalayanJake

Well I purchased the collector's edition...

I also bought the "player's guide". Don't go beyond page 16 unless you want to spoil your game.

These are my observations:

1. The CD has about 40mins of music. You can find the tracks in your sub-directory of Morrowind and cut your own CD. The CD is good for background music on your standard CD player when the game music is turned off. The "readme" file recommends turning it off if you want better performance.

2. The collector's box's cardboard insert is in a tray format so the box is not very re-usable (I am still using my Daggerfall box for holding some of the manuals from my CRPGs). The big box looks nice on the outside but you can't really store stuff in it. I will see if my other inserts will fit it and swap them so I can display the box on my bookshelf.

3. The map is the map. I think a cloth map would have been nicer but it is okay.

4. The manual is fine although it is not that intuitive to read.

5. The artwork book is small clean and gives a nice overview of what went into the design/styling for the game. A good fifteen minute warm-up with the music playing before you delve into the world of Morrowind.

6. You get a double CD case for the construction set and Morrowind, and a cardboard jacket for the music CD.

7. The game runs fine on my system (see posting above). Just for the hell of it I tweaked the video card to 225MHz core/500Mhz memory, and the processor to 897MHz. It actually made it run a smidgen faster. I am using Hercules build v23.11 and have it set to 2AA for FSAA. Everything else in driver is set to highest. As for the game:

a. 1024x768
b. pixel shading on
c. AI to near
d. shadows off

It is still choppy in exterior cells. I will live with it but, which is more likely to improve performance? A faster processor or Nvidia 4600?
Post Fri May 03, 2002 11:02 pm