Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Come share your favorite RPGs and help me find a good one!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Alakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Come share your favorite RPGs and help me find a good one!

I've been playing multiplayer Diablo II LoD on and off for two years. After some unfortunate events and item losses, I have decided to move on. However, there are so many RPGs out there, I don't know where to start! I've tried Sacred (too many bugs) and the Baldur's Gate/Forgotton Realms series (great games but they got boring) and numerous console RPGs, but none of them satisfy my large appitite for magic spells, cool items, character development, story/sidequests, and replay value. I've found that games with multiplayer capabilities can be played for much longer than just single player (Diablo II for instance still has over 50,000 people playing... the game is seven years old!!)

This being said, I am asking my fellow gamers and RPG fans to recommend and share their favorite RPGs, and suggest games that I might like. Linear games (like the Final Fantasy series) can be a lot of fun, but they don't have much replay value. I want an RPG that will have me hooked for many many hours... something like Diablo II, with PvP, and the kind of trading and economy that makes Diablo II what it is. Thanks to everyone who posts here!
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:27 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Divine divinity is a great single player game sort of like diablo 2.

Pvp.... well dungeon lords is supposed to have up to 8 players and its coming out soon.

Oh yes what am i thinking. Sacred is the only game like you have described.
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:02 am
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

Wizardry 8
Neverwinter Nights
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:52 am
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

My favourtie RPGs ? The Baldur's Gate Series, Wizardy 8 (and some ancient Titles that are nearly forgotten ... Does anyone remember Realms of Arcania ?). These are certainly not your Cup of Tea.

Neverwinter Nights turns into a decent Game if you buy both Expansions, even into a good one with the right Community-Content ... otherwise I guess you can turn to World of Warcraft ... at least there are interessting Items and lots of Trade. There is also a huge PvP-Community (that I wouldn't touch with a 10-Foot-Pole ...).

I could recommend Vampire - Bloodlines, but if you think Sacred is buggy you will probably go insane with Vampire ...and no further Patches in Sight with Troika gone ...
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:36 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forum!

Youīre looking for something with a lot of action. Maybe you should try Sacred again. I think itīs common understanding that itīs the best Diablo clone, and with patch 1.7 and Sacred Plus it should be relatively bug-free.

DivDiv is also worth a try. Itīs a long SP game and should be dirt cheap by now. If you want to play it remember that it starts rather slowly and only takes off after the first town.

World of Warcraft could be exactly what you want. Many people have told me that itīs basically Diablo 2 in the Warcraft universe as MMO game.
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:37 am
Alakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. It seems as though WoW is what I'm looking for (although the 15$ monthly fee turns me off considerably). Sacred is a decent game, but there are a few bugs/quirks (with set items) that *really* frustrate me. I'm a little sick of turn-based combat, and I'm putting the Baldurs Gate style games aside. I'll look into Wizardry, but Dungeon Seige II looks pretty good too.

Let me know what you guys think.
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:06 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Wizardry is the genre standard for TB, combat-heavy RPG. Letīs just say itīs the best thing since sliced bread for a clearly defined target audience.
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:23 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

rpgs with a high replay value

Jagged Alliance 1, 2
Jagged Allince - Deadly Games (Multiplayer)
Fallout 1, 2
Planescape Torment
Wizardry 7, 8
Gothic 1, 2 + Night of the Raven
Knights of the Old Republic 1
Might & Magic 6,7
Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:18 pm
Alakar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wizardry 8 vs Dungeon Seige 2 vs World of Warcraft!!!

These are the three games I'm now seriously contemplating. Post what you guys think about these games and what makes 'em good or bad or better or worse!

And guys... there should be at least half as many posts as there are views. I dont need detailed, thoughtful reviews of every CRPG you've ever played (although to anyone who posts that ^_^) Just take a minute or two to jot down your thoughts on some games.
Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:46 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I'd say:

- Sacred (addon Sacred Underworld has been released a few weeks ago), it's indeed a Diablo-clone.
- Gothic 2 and addon Night of the Raven, nothing beats Gothic.
- Dungeon Lords, a very good rpg to fill the time gab between G2 and G3.
- Guild Wars, one of the best MMORG and without any montly fees.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:49 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Sem, Guild Wars is not a MMORPG, it is a competitive online roleplaying game, if I remember correctly what I have read on the official site eons ago.

Alakar, you cannot put Wizardry 8, Dungeon Seige 2 and World of Warcraft in one cathegory and expect a person to give you an good advise. If you ask me, get all three, though in my opinion they fail to cover the lot of the RPG market. And not all of them a worth it. But I'll try to give as best info as I can on the three :

Wizardry 8 is a game I have not played, but from what I gather it is a great game, party based and has a descent story line. It is a game I am seriosly considering playing, though. It is definately not in the cathegory of the game-saver Dungeon Siege or the online Diablo World of WarCraft.

Dungeon Siege 2 is ... not out yet, as you must be well aware. Though the first game was a major disappointment for me, this may turn out good, anyway, but I ain't putting up much excitement for this. But if you liked the first one and the expansion, you should get the sequel, it is essentially more and better of the same.

World of WarCraft is a descent game, but in my opinion not worth the 15 bucks per month in any case. Besides, they have still not included what I want the most in the game, which is playable High/Blood Elves, Naga and Pandaren And Two-Headed Ogres, I am still waiting for that Anyway, you might consider it if you like Diablo that much, what I hear is that it has the same concept and gameplay only in the WarCraft universe.

Besides these three, you should definately try Sacred, which to my best knoledge, not having played it yet, on the Plus version and the latest patch is not only quite playable, and enjoyable, but is better than Diablo 2 : LoD.

You might also wanna try out some mods for Diablo 2, though I have stopped following most of them by the time I had stopped playing Diablo.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:44 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Sem, Guild Wars is not a MMORPG, it is a competitive online roleplaying game, if I remember correctly what I have read on the official site eons ago.

I know that, but more people understand what you mean when you say MMORG than CORPG.

"CORPG, what's that?"

"It's a competitive online role-playing game"

"?"

"That means that they didn't want to put the MMORG-tag on their game and so came up with something new."

"Now I get it!"

Seriously, the largest difference is this:
Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild.
Concrete, it means that from level 20 every character is a complete build and from now on it's the player skill that makes the difference. So less leveling and more training your own playing skills.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:15 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Actually, it is not exactly what you mean, and the last reason, I believe, ArenaNET are calling their game a CORPG is to not call it a MMORPG.

As far as I understan, as I have not played a MMORPG or one of the Guild Wars beta weekends or the final release of the game itself, since I believe it should be availble at present, is that while most MMORPGs have a large number of places, that are permanent, and a smaller number of instanced zone, whatever exactly that means, or something like that, GW has rather the opposite. As far as I have gathered by people at other forums, that tried to explain me the difference b/n a typical MMORPG and GW, GW has only a few lobby type zone that are the same for all players, let's say some kind of city or sth like that, I already said that I have not yet played a MMORPG or GW, while everything else is instanced for every player. For example, I may take a quest to cleanse the local forest of bandits, and so can other player, independantly from me. However, depending on each player's actions (I cleanse the bandits, and turn them over the authorities, and another players, doesn't, and joins up with them) I would have a different look in the forest (to say the least) - when I (and other players that have teamed up with me) would have a very different forest since I have cleared the bandits in the area - gallows, beheaded bandit corpses, etc, while some who has helped the bandits would have a forest busting with rogue activity.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:16 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

That's also a difference but that doesn't make it so Competitive, if you ask me.
I think the competitive element lies in the fast that not the one with the most free time, but the one with the best skill will be the best player.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:40 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Actually I was not argueing about the Competitive part, but rather you saying that GW is a MMORPG that has just changed it's genre. GW is for me basically an Online RPG.

As for the Competitive part, you should admit that skill is equal to free time. If I have enough free time, I would practise my skills better, and therefore I would be better at my skills. I don't know how exactly is this thing going to work out in GW, so will have to wain and see.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:52 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next