Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Retail First Impressions @ PC.IG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Your point?

To be fair, I well remember getting only 3 hours sleep a night for several months with our second!! Strange that it was also our last!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:49 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Amazingly enough, all of my other games were still playable after I installed this ...

Pretty good first impression, just taking some getting used to.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:37 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I'm only about 10 or so hours into the game, so just a few random thoughts.

It looks great and is fun to play, however the interface was clearly designed to accomodate consoles. No drag and drop paper-doll inventory here; it's all lists of items. At least this time they give you a detailed, decent sized picture of inventory items.

I spent quite a bit of time playing around with the video settings before starting the game. First off, anti-aliasing works great in this game. It wasn't turned on by default with my video card, but I noticed a major improvement in getting rid of the 'jaggies' with 2x anti-aliasing enabled. I also noted diminishing returns in screen resolution after 1280x960 or thereabouts. 800x600 looks pretty good, but you wont want to go any lower. This game looks pretty good at lower resolutions, that way you can use system resources to turn up other things, like shadows and distance. My system BARELY makes the recommended requirements on the box, and at 1280x960 I was able to turn up almost everything. I think most people will be pleased at how well this game runs out of the box, even on somewhat older machines. That's just my experience with my computer, so I really don't know how others will fare.

Menus pop up crisply and saves take place almost instantaneously.

It's relatively bug free so far. I have had my mouse pointer disappear on a few occasions while navigating menus, but hitting ESC to get out of the menu, and then bringing up the menu again solved the problem. I've had one 'windows protection error' happen when I was exiting the game, but it only happened once.

Voice acting is generally good, but I've had a few encounters with NPC's where the voice acting was poor, but this is the exception. Patrick Stewart was great for the first hour of the game, unfortunately his character got whacked, so I don't know if his ghost will come back or if he's done in the game.

Jeremy Soule is the man. How someone in Hollywood hasn't hired this guy to do movie scores is beyond me. The music is awesome.

NPC graphics are the best I've ever seen. Very realistic.

The weather effects are extremely well done.

There seems to be more of an effort on the part of the designers on keeping the player focused on the main plot, although you can still run off and do your own thing.

Finally, I have to give props to Bethesda for their efforts. This is a monster of a game, and the production quality is amazing. My only real complaint is the interface; I want the drag and drop inventory made famous by Dungeon Master way back when.

I still don't have a final verdict, but so far I like what I see, and even though I'm only 8 or 10 hours into it, I find myself becoming increasingly addicted to this title.
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:02 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

LOL yeah my wife slept while I played through Halo in 3 days.

I can understand why you slept. But for the record I got up every 3 hours to do diapers and transport the baby. What a hero eh?
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:10 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2