Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Can you perform Quests for everyone before choosing Guild?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Can you perform Quests for everyone before choosing Guild?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, I just couldn't think of an easy way to find the answer quickly:

Is Gothic 2 much like Gothic 1 in that you can exploit quests and learn the "agenda" of each Guild (plus gain lots of exp. points) before deciding who to join?
I just don't want to get a sheep and 1,000 gold and suddenly find that I'm stuck as a mage, when all I wanted was access to the Monestery for some quests or something like that.
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:12 am
Darth Mader
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You can solve many quests for any guild before you "suddenly are associated" to one of them... errr, except the mages.
That is, because bringing the sheep and the 1,000 gold are the only things you have to do to become a hopeful upcoming firemage.

But even if you bring the sheep and the gold to the monastery: Pedro will ask, if you really want to join the order of the firemages.
It is the same with the other guilds: before joining you'll have to utter the un-ambiguous wish to join (to Lord Andre for militia or to Lee for mercenaries).
So just take care what the NPCs say during the dialogue!

Since I've never faced the English version of Gothic or Gothic II, I want to apologize for bumpy translations...
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:32 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Thanks for the info. I finally have enough money to buy the sheep and pay the 1K. I want to give it over so I don't have to worry about it anymore, but I'm not ready to join just yet. But maybe I am.

I have done quests for Andre. Actually, I can join with the Militia now just by saying so because I am a good citizin. But I got the Thieve's Quest from Andre. I still haven't decided whether to turn in the thieves. I don't like th idea of doing that.

And I qualify for the Mercenaries now too. But I haven't finished all the subquests. Bullco still kills me and so does one other. And I don't have enough sword skill to please Cord.

Are there other quests I'll forgo by joining the mages? Even if not, I still want to build combat skills a lot more - while it is cheap. When they say combat skill cost twice for a mage, do the mean cost in gold only or does that mean they require twice the LP. I have a feeling it is LP.

Does strength come under the heading of a combat skill? Too late I realized I probably should have been building sword early and left strength until I was a mage.

I've been building dex and bow. I'm a marksman now. I want to build that more too. I suppose I should not worry about dex for a while.

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Mader
You can solve many quests for any guild before you "suddenly are associated" to one of them... errr, except the mages.
That is, because bringing the sheep and the 1,000 gold are the only things you have to do to become a hopeful upcoming firemage.

But even if you bring the sheep and the gold to the monastery: Pedro will ask, if you really want to join the order of the firemages.
It is the same with the other guilds: before joining you'll have to utter the un-ambiguous wish to join (to Lord Andre for militia or to Lee for mercenaries).
So just take care what the NPCs say during the dialogue!

Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:51 am
mariuss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you choose the paly/mage path do before the merc quests, like "respect" or anything similar. Being guildless, you can beat up everybody in Onar's farm; very funny (except Sylvio and Lee). And explore the world!! For me ch 1 was the most hours spent.
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:02 am
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Mader

Thanks Darth Mader, I wouldn't have wanted a sheep to follow me around for the rest of the game, 'cause I'm sure not playing as a Mage the first go-around. Although... the sheep might make good Dragon bait! hmnn....
Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:00 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Everything except mana costs twice the learning points as mage. Stinks huh?

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:29 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

that's why it is smart, to train yourself very high, and learn much, before joining the mages.
Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:35 pm