Greyhawk Review @ Gamespy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Greyhawk Review @ Gamespy

Gamespy are first cab off the rank to <a href="http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/september03/toeepc/" target="_blank">review</a> Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil. Many readers will be pleased to hear the article highlights the amazing depth in Greyhawk's turn-based combat but they do describe some issues with the interface and AI. The final score is 4/5 stars (Gamespy appear to have recently changed their scoring system) and an Editor's Choice award. Here's a snip: <blockquote><em>And let me tell you, ToEE is very faithful to these new rules. The choices you had to make when creating your characters only expand, branch, and multiply as you progress through the game. You get to choose feats, abilities, skills, and equipment in any combination that the rules will allow, feeling your way through a tangled web of prerequisites, rules, synergies, and restrictions. The end result, though, is that the game is amazingly deep in its capacity for customization and replay.
<br>
<br>And that's just developing your character. The ways in which ToEE lets you apply those skills and abilities will really blow your mind. Depending on how you've built and developed any given character, you can pick from over a dozen different actions during combat, overcome obstacles like traps and locks, or interact with non-player characters in different ways. None of this should be unfamiliar to RPG gamers, but it's a matter of magnitude here. This game is very complex.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:04 am
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

From reading this review I got the impression that the character creation is great,the graphics and sound are great and the rest is pretty much a dungeon crawl ala POR-Myth of Dran(whatever). It also seems that there are some things bugged and down-right broke(I know people are gonna say "yeah but thats okay..these things can be fixed with a patch").To be honest,I was expecting something better in terms of story and was not looking forward to just enjoying the beginning of the game due to its great character creation.I was also looking for a more polished release and not having to wait for the inevitable,almighty patch to play the game smoothly.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:56 am
Dhruin

I'll be a little disappointed if there are major bugs. I'm not prepared to make that call from one review although the interface issues sound worrying. Time will tell - hopefully my preorder is shipping soon.

As for story...ToEE is as straight forward as it gets - fight your way to the bigger fights at the end and destroy the source of evil. The Temple dominates the module and it is exactly one big dungeon crawl.

That's not to say ToEE is a bad module - it's heaps of fun - but a great story it isn't.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:10 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I thought it sounded a pretty fair review. I don't really care for the radial menu in NWN, so I rarely use it. Like Dhruin, I hope my pre-order arrives soon and I'll let you know what I think.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:18 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The ToEE series pen & paper Greyhawk modules were of the hack'n'slash kind and not exactly story-heavy, so why would the CRPG modeled after them be any different? The "Sword of Istus" campaign, however, was quite interesting and not exactly standard issue.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:53 pm
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well if hack n' slash is your thing then go for it and enjoy.I'll wait for something with a story to it.I read somewhere,from an old time rpg player, that ToEE was probably one of the worst choices for a game as it was one of the weakest pen and paper modules.I think that you can make a good story around the fact that you have to either cleanse or support a dungeon.Never the less,I hope you guys enjoy the game.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:05 pm
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
I'll be a little disappointed if there are major bugs. I'm not prepared to make that call from one review although the interface issues sound worrying. Time will tell - hopefully my preorder is shipping soon.

As for story...ToEE is as straight forward as it gets - fight your way to the bigger fights at the end and destroy the source of evil. The Temple dominates the module and it is exactly one big dungeon crawl.

That's not to say ToEE is a bad module - it's heaps of fun - but a great story it isn't.

I agree with you Dhruin, I am not prepared to judge the bugs from one review and without playing it...And am hoping that I get my game soon.

As well as those gamers that are interested in aethetics (not totally me, but I do think that this sounds interesting and actually reminds me a bit of Morrowind clothes....) "I'm happy to say that ToEE excels in graphics and sound. The environments are marvelously detailed, their inhabitants are cunningly animated, and spell effects are colorful and dazzling. Changes to your characters' equipment are also reflected onscreen. If you equip a red cloak in the inventory screen, your character model shows it. "

And to the interface issue...well maybe its just me, but whenever I start a new game I find the interface hard to work with...so I am convinced that once I get used to the game that I will be fine.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:41 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

A review on release day.

Ok, we need to raid their connections in the industry.

Oh well. I can't read any GH reviews before I write the Dots (it will compromise objectivity).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:03 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

I just saw a rather comprehensive review in another board here. I'm going to hold my own opinion until I can actually play it (hopefully tomorrow), but as far as bugs go i'm not surprised or dissuaded by the fact they're there. Even though the ToEE module was definitely less story heavy I'm expecting there to be enough to keep me happy!
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:16 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

The review has me liking the game even more. Most of my favorite RPG's have barley a story. (QFG1 had a minimal story, Daggerfall didn't, Darklands didn't). I don't even remember the story in the old Gold Box games. I'm not against a good story, but I like my books to be books and my games to be games.

I think GFQ1 has a great story (or I thought that) until someone posted that it didn't really have one, and I had to agree after thinking about it. You create the story while playing, and thats how I like my games.

Hopefully TOEE will be like this and the author is just spoiled or more story-demanding due to BG, PS:T, and the like (whcih aren't my bag of tea).

And being a crappy player that plans on playing ironman the first time through I am relying on poor and buggy enemy AI. Godbless the enemy AI bugs.

The only thing I don't like is the party movement AI bugs. I am definitly looking forward to tomorrow.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:43 am
Donnie Darko

It's almost here!

This game is going to be awesome. I don't expect a perfect game to be released... I don't think there is a game released these days that doesn't benefit from a patch. Even Baldurs Gate 2 was considered very buggy when it first came out due to its complexity. This is no big deal. As far as story goes... this game is a faithful translation of the pen and paper module (which is essentially a big dungeon with lots of side things going on) so if you don't like rpg's where you spend time in a dungeon then don't buy this game. Personally, I can't wait unitil tomorrow. Happy gaming!
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:14 am

Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I sense a lot of optimism...or at least wishful thinking about this game, but I will reserve judgement until I play...or at lease read more than one review. Only then, may I profess my undying love... or hatred, for ToEE. Anything else is just hype.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:46 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Played for a bout 3 hours and I'm really liking it. I have to force myslef to stop now and go to work.

Only thing anooying me so far is moving. Same group movement problems as in IE games.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:37 pm