Higher difficulty - please
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Higher difficulty - please

So far I am (was) really enjoying the game.

I'm playing with single character (no pet or another character in the party) and I'm at the begining of Act II. My character is melee fighter with level 27.

...and the game is getting too easy. It is annoying to have to go through hordes of monsters that are not able to hurt you. I was thinking that to go with single character is the way to make the game more challenging and it really was challening throughout several first quests.

It is really bad to see such obvious fault. The game must be really very very easy with full party. I don't understand why they set the difficulty level this way.
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:09 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I also would have thought the single character would have been more difficult. Strange - my game with a normal type team - tank, ranged, nature-mage, combat-mage gave me plenty of work to do but then no great difficulty. I would have guessed that the player is "supposed" to build a team, becase then the gained combat exp' at each encounter would generaly be shared between the team players (per strike count)....but then we all know that after a saved game more monsters are respawned and the player has to re-cover the ground back to where they left off.
You could do this forever up to max' points i guess. This to me is a great failing of DS2 and not an in-game helpful ploy for newbies or dummies.
If this is true then maybe playing a full max'd team seven or eight (?) wouldn't be as easy - not sure.
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:50 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, actually it really seems that instead of making the game more difficult by playing with single character, I actually managed to make it easier :{.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:17 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

OK, I've avoided playing my DS2 because of all this talk about it being too easy.

So I finally got around to googling a solution and of course someone has hacked one.

Someone in the Gas Powered Games forum has released a hack. Sorry I can't give a URL link, my work has blocked the Gas Powered Games forum
So just google on this term:
"ds2 new difficulty options"

and it should be the first selection. Sounds like you just pick a pre defined .res difficulty file and drop it into your "res" folder. Removing it puts the game back on stock settings. Its approach is simple. It reduces your damage to creatures and ups creatures damages by predefined percentages. Sounds good to me.
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:09 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Good info,

Drat! ... i wish i'd known of this earlier, but the news comes too late, i passed the game on to a hack-n-slash newbie
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:39 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:55 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Wulf, you should be preaching the gospel of real RPGs and not bring up another hacker-slasher :].
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:19 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes indeed Dani' - Although an rpg'er i like the odd hack-smash, gets the adrenaline flowing.

By the way here is the link as ToddMcF2002 refers, which ironically repeats almost exactly what we are saying so far on this forum.

http://garage.gaspowered.com/?q=node/1263

Very interesting and some true aspects. (notice how the more party characters is "the selection" of difficulty)
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:56 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Hey I liked DS1. I'm waiting patiently to try DS2. Sure its not BG (which I'm playing for the zillienth time right now) but it was fun.

Nothing wrong with a little hack and slash now and then. That "Titan Quest" looks very tasty LOL.

If someone tries that difficulty patch please report on it.

And Danicek - Can you please do us a favor??? Go onto these sites and see if you can get a progress report!

The Inquisitor
http://www.wooden-dragon.com/cz/forum_cz.php3

Heart of Eternity
http://udc-game.com/news
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:53 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I think it's time to reiterate the key point i made it the *Downsides of Dungeon Siege 2* thread by GokYabguHan.

(re: my quote)
"Only after completing the game in "mercenary" mode (easy level 0-39) do you get the chance to play the game again in the next higher mode "veteran" mode (normal level 40-69) and only after completing the game in this mode can you ever play the "elite" mode (hard level 70-100) - this final 3rd game is not for the faint hearted."

I would make a reasonable assumption that all points made about the 'easyness' in this forum and others are relative to the first playthrough in *easy* mode ..... has any player completed the *hard* level? - i believe it is an excruciating experience resulting in blood oozing from the players fingertips! ......please anyone, even with a single character and pack-mule, is this level three (elite mode) easy?.........who on earth needs a hack/difficulty pack?
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:34 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Yeah but I'll never play this game twice (let alone 3 times) so I'll tweak the difficulty up front. I'll try the mod after I finish BG1.
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:42 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I'm also just starting to wonder if I'll ever reply the game.

I'm in the end of ACTII with my "single character melee fighter" party (so there's generally some added replayability factor in my approach - I've never tried ranged, magic, more party members). I don't know whether I'll have enough motivation to do so anyway.
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:28 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes, but Dani' - you must complete now, it can be done i have heard, this will enable you to begin a new level-2 game at maybe some future time, and i think you may be able to configure a new team?

In some logical way, i have to agree with the theory of the dev's - conquer the game at level-1 makes you worthy of going for a harder try and not before, then same for the final hard game. I suppose somewhere there will be end of level-2 saved games being passed on to first time players.

Only die-hard hack and slash fanatics will go all the three-game-way with full mage or ranged teams, i bet the max'd spell effects and monster spawn speeds would be awesome in that last battle, simple rpg'ers such as us are not that way attuned and indeed as you say would probably lose motivation before the "grande-finale"
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:21 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I have beaten the game during this weekend (with my single character melee fighter party). It wasn't hard at all. The last part got actually quite tedious. It was long way to go and real hack and slash hell.

I was really dissapointed by several last bosses and the final boss. If I complained about too low overall difficulty, the bosses were really insanely easy to beat. Yeah, it took some time to actually beat them to death, but they were unable to cause some significant damage.

I finished the game at level 42.
Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:15 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Holy smoke Dani - - - level 42!

I think i finished on L-27 - which i would guess is about average for a four-up team, and of course lower stats per each member would be a tad' harder with the bosses.

What will you do now? - - the next higher difficulty level? - - or take a break! ?

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:15 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next