Usergroups
FPS with RPG elements
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I really like FPSs, not long time ago, I started to play RPGs and I really like them too, especially character developing.
Do you know some FPSs with RPGs elements? When I am thinking about it, I remember only Deus Ex, and it was perfect game.
I wonder why they do not implement more RPGs things such as character developing in FPS...
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:12 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

haha thats easy
cause FPSers hate RPGer and vice versa
so the min a game says its one with elements of the other, the other side goes 'eeewwww, screw that!'
btw- I didnt like DE, too much sneaking around bs
always felt like if I just shot up the whole place, I'd be ruining the mood of the game, but everytime I tried to sneak, I'd get caught, end up shooting the place up anyway and re-loading to try again, bah

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-02-26 11:41 ]
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:38 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I like both RPGs and FPS, but a good blend is rare. Deus Ex and System Shock 2 both were notable FPS' with RPG elements, then there was one of my old all-time faves, Realms of the Haunting. More adventure elements than those of an RPG, really, but it had a great, great story und was nicely made at its time. You should really check it our, just like CyberMage (saw it at an abandonware place the other day). Even if that's very old, it was very atmospheric as well. And then, all of the Land of Lores. In my eyes they - especially 2 and 3 - were more FPS than RPG, but I liked them a lot. Shogo, if I remember that right, combined elements of both, and. of course, HalfLife (more of the adventure here, though). In Heretic II the setting was very nice, oh, and not to forget Jedi Knight! You could choose to become light side or dark side there, depending on your actions. Wheel of Time had a nice fantasy setting, but as a shooter it was too straight for my taste. And too difficult.

Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:24 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Quote: haha thats easy
cause FPSers hate RPGer and vice versa
so the min a game says its one with elements of the other, the other side goes 'eeewwww, screw that!'

I have to agree, I am an rpg'er that does not like fps games(unless you consider Die by the Sword or Blade of Darkness an fps). I like games with alot of depth, complexity, character interaction, interaction with the world and environment, etc. Rpg's have this, fps's usually do not.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:06 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hm. Personally, I like games which combine aspects of both better than 'pure' RPGs (like, eh, Dungeon Master) and FPS (like Serious Sam ).
All in all, I value game atmosphere above everything else, which is why Thief 1 and 2 were some of my personal all-time-favorites.

Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:16 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

do not start flame war "RPG vs. FPS", I just want to read your recommendations on best games combinating FPS and RPG elements
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:18 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You already have mine...

Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:52 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Quote: do not start flame war "RPG vs. FPS", I just want to read your recommendations on best games combinating FPS and RPG elements

ok, sorry about that, well the only game I can think like that that I have played would be Blade of Darkness(Severance). It had some rpg elements, but was more of an action/FPS type game. It had very good graphics and sound too.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:07 pm
Nik
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Oh, but if done correct, a blend between the genres is really nice. I mean, you get the feeling ang game immersion of an FPS and the freedom of an RPG. DeusEx is a superb example of this. And, for RPG fans, you can always choose the stealty tactic in DeusEx. I preffered it to shooting everyone.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:23 pm
vertic
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Anyone ever played Rune?
Its a nice game kinda like Blade of darkness!

Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:38 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes I did, I played Rune, great game, but I think Blade of Darkness was similar and better.
I do not think that Blade of Darkness or Rune are FPSs (FPS = first preson shooters = first person view, no third person view).
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:52 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:

On 2002-02-26 15:52, Danicek wrote:
Yes I did, I played Rune, great game, but I think Blade of Darkness was similar and better.
I do not think that Blade of Darkness or Rune are FPSs (FPS = first preson shooters = first person view, no third person view).

You know what, I heard that Rune was using the rules system from the pen and paper rpg Ars Magica(which is one of my favorite systems), but in Ars Magica, there is a very big emphasis on magic and mages, yet Rune emphasized fighting over magic. I wish they would have made the game more true to the Ars Magica gameworld and put more magic in the game.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:12 pm

System Shock 1 is imho better than its sequel. It's one of those games with unique, unfogettable gameplay (along with games like Thief or DeusEx). If you don't mind playing games with a little dated graphics, you should definitely try it. Btw, if I remember correctly, it was first full 3d game (but still with sprite enemies). CD version has outstanding 640x480 resolution

There is one thing I didn't like in SS2 - psy abilities, that were practically magic inserted to make it more like typical fantasy rpg. But it's detail and game is one of the best I've played so far.

Among other titles (not rpg ones, but also hard to call them fps):

Outcast, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, Thief I & II
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:34 pm

soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Last anonymous was me, ups.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:05 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever and Max Payne are the best Action Shooters.

Hx
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:57 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next