Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Thievery - will I ever get caught in Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Thievery - will I ever get caught in Morrowind?

Hi there!

I'm a bit confused now. I have tried stealing from one of the houses (at the starter town), with the actual owner withnessing the whole thing. She started to scream and yell, but nothing have happened - the guards never came to get me, and my reputation remained at 0 (as well as the bounty level).

Then I decided to lift everything which isn't nailed down from all the other houses, and still nobody wants to punish me!

Is it supposed to work this way? Thanks.[/b]
Post Mon May 06, 2002 10:18 am

Garon

Yah, I've been caught many times. One tip. . . if you get a bounty on your head that you can afford to pay and don't want to spend all your time early on avoiding guards, dump all your stolen stuff into a crate, and turn yourself in (only works if you can talk to a guard without it trying to arrest you first). You'll get a discount and they can't get all your illegally acquired goods. Then go pick up your things. Or you can reload the game. Or you can find someone to make the bounty disappear, but you'll need friends for this.

Your situation sounds buggy. Try picking everyone's pockets and see if you get caught at it. If you don't get caught fairly soon, something is wrong I'd wager.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 12:30 pm

Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Except for the guy at the base of the lighthouse who's crazy enough to try and take you with his bare hands, usually in a 1 on 1 situation, the NPCs will just curse you out, when in groups they will call guards or try to double team ya.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 1:22 pm
Radix

Speaking of thievery, I am a dark elf scout and I was using the sneak skill alot in the first town and in the first cave successfully. Well, after a few armor/weapon upgrades, I am unable to sneak anymore! I press the default left ctrl key and no sneak icon appears in the left corner. My guy will crouch, but no sneak icon. What happened? Does sneak depend on armor your wearing? I used to have medium armor then switched to heavy. I removed the armor to test and still no sneak icon. What gives?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:05 pm

Re: sneak icon, I could be way off here, but I seem to remember the icon only coming up whne you have something wielded and readied (ie you're holding something in front of you). Why this would be I do not know.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:30 pm

Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

it could also have something to do with the upgrade in armor.
It will be really hard to sneak around wearing heavy armor especially for a beginning char. I think as a thief type char, the lighter your armor the easier it would be to be stealthy
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:43 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I can steal pretty flawlessly too, the one thing that has given me problems is the quest in Balmora to steal a key to the manor. There are 2 people to get it from and they both catch me every time..not sure how to do it..might just need much higher Sneaking to get it..even though my sneaking is near 55 or so.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:52 pm
Stompy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

don't have to equip anything to sneak

I know this for a fact. I generally walk around without anything equipped & I can still sneak. I'd be willing to bet you can't sneak if you're wearing heavy armor. At least I hope that's the way it is, because sneaking & wearing heavy armor don't typically complement each other.

I've read that you can only sneak if there is someone (or something) around. IOTW, you can't sneak if there is no one to sneak by (or up to). It's like standing in a closed room all by yourself & sneaking around. It doesn't really matter because no one is there to see you do anything in the first place. Make sense?

Now, I have to admit this confuses me as well because there are times when I'm trying to sneak & am unable. But I think it might also be related to whether or not other people can see you. If you're just sneaking around town & someone is looking at you, you can't sneak. But if you're trying to sneak up behind someone, the sneak icon should appear once you're close enough to backstab or pickpocket that person, even if other people are staring right at you. Whether this is actually true or not, I have no idea. But it seems right.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:57 pm
Mortanius

Well, when you're theiving, guards usually come, but on some occasion they don't. But if you keep on stealing things, and the guards never come, then i think that you have a bug in your game. Although, while you have the bug, try to make the best of it, eh?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:07 am

Meck

Well I tried to practice my sneaking in Balmora late at night on this argonian, something went wrong and he started throwing his claws at me. So i killed him and took his stuff(actually all he had was his clothes)

Nothing really happened after that, no guards, no bounty, no nothing. I figure if u do thieving stuff when no guards are around it shouldn't get u into trouble.

I also killed the stilt strider guy outside the starting town. Nothing happened either
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:45 am

Okay folks, I've toyed a little more with stealing, and it seems that You'll only get a bounty (and a little beating) if there are guards nearby. When You are alone with a townsfolk - the poor guy could scream and yell, yet noone would notice it.

What bugs me with this whole situation is that altough You'll take everything away from him, his approach towards You would not change at all!

I would at least expect him not to speak with me from that point...
Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:07 am

-=mASTa=-

Thievery is buggy

Since I've heared about this game, I thought I'll be playing it as a thief, merchant, magician. But I'm rather disapointed in thievery.

For example, in the first town I've enterd a hut with one guy inside. I've taken absolutely everything, that was in his house and in his pockets, just in front of his eys. He certanly saw all that, cause he kept on saying me, that I was a bad thief(smthin' like that). I calmly went out of his house, sold his stuff in a nearby shot and visited the poor guy again. Hi was just in the same place, standing, doing nothing . I wish he could at least come out of his house and tell the guard about what happended .

Maby I'll try to play as a magitian or something.
Allthough the game is GRATE, HUGE and VERY INTERESTING. Just such things stop me from telling that it is IDEAL.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:17 am