View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
ZiGz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

NOTR - Strength

Chapter 4, i am in the valley of mines
just wondering if anyone in the valley is able to train strength past 90? brutus in the castle only goes to 90.
also wondering how high i should go in training before i start boosting with bonuses! i saw a berserker axe for sale, 170 strength for 200 damage. best ive seen, but damn ive only got like 35 worth of strength bonuses.
is there really a point in training strength once you get the claw of beliar, or should i just focus on upping my two handed to 100%? the sword kicks some major ass, and im wondering if there is anything that is going to be better in NOTR since the claw "levels up with you".

thanks guys!
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:42 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Mmm, don't want spoil anything but chapter 5 and 6 are shorter so you played most of the game with a much weaker char by not using str bonuses.
Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:31 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Lol ok my previous post just wanted to point that doing a str 90+ plan makes more sense if you reach the 90+ during chapter 2 /NOTR part.

But who care, you dig your way up to chapter 4 without strong str, after all better challenge so more fun for you.

To answer your question, it's quite complicated.

- First point the higher damage of a standard 2H weapon is the berseker axe with str 170 hit 200. But this weapon has a low range for a 2H : 90. When Beliar's claw 2H has range 120 and highest 2H range is 140 for few weapons, more often higher range for 2H is 130 but I didn't check them all and many 2H has lower range like 100-110.

- Second point the claw is a very complicate weapon, it follows those formula :

It has a claw level. This claw level is computed from your level when you pray the last time to a Beliar's Shhrine.
Claw level = ((your level - 10) / 2) round up + 1
And the Claw level max is 20.

For example :
Char level 21 => Claw level = (21 - 10)/2 round up + 1 = 5.5 round up + 1 = 7
Char level 32 => Claw level = (32 - 10)/2 round up + 1 = 11 + 1 = 12
Char level 37 and above => Claw level = (37 - 10)/2 round up + 1 = 13.5 round up + 1 = 14

This claw level determines the hit level of the claw and the pourcentagte to have additional lightning damages.
Hit with 1H = 90 + Claw level
Hit with 2H = 100 + Claw level

Chance to have additional damages = (12 + 2*claw level)%
For example :
Claw level 7 => 12 + 2*7 = 26% of chance to have the additional lightning damages
Claw level 20 => 12 + 2*20 = 52% of chance to have the additional lightning damages

To mention the range of the Claw :
1H => 100
2H => 120
No idea of the lightning damages, they seem quite high but I suppose (don't know) that some monsters will be immune fully or partially to them. I fry a swamp golem in one hit with the claw at level 7 and char str 107.

About the standard hits/critical hits like has normal weapons, I suppose that for the claw the critical damages works and apply like all normal close combat weapons, depending of you sword skill and str level. But not sure from the few tests I did, need confirmation.

With the lightening and if its damages is that high, then when your char is at higher level the pourcentage is high giving you a strong chance to do lightening damages and devastating hit, then I bet the claw is above any weapon except against monsters immune to these damages (if there are any monster imune to them). At lower char level the chance to have those damages is enough low and makes a fight more random depending you have the luck or not then it's more questionable but if your char is that low level it will probably not have yet the max str nor have available the stronger magical weapon.

Myself I found the lightning effects quite disturbing breaking my concentration. Plus I don't like the low chance to have the lightning, that also break my concentration because I wait too much for the devastating hit and forget to concentrate on the combat. Result is for now I am much better with my current normal weapon, the 2H machette.

Second point, The best 2H magic weapon you can made is quite good but probably available only very late in the game, anyway:
- It has the highest range possible : 140 and range can be a strong tactical adventadge.
- It add 10 to your weapon skill and doesn't require a very high str level but only a high one. The difference between normal hits and critical hits is so high that those 10 more are quite important.

So FINALLY I try answer your question :
Will 90 str with LP only be anough to use the berseker axe?
=> Not sure without items worn.
=> Perhaps later in the game.

Is it really the best weapon for you or is the claw the best?
=> Not fully sure but appart imune problems, it seems the claw should be the best. But there isn't only those two weapons, perhaps there's even better.

=> How about raising weapon skill?
Yes, weapon skill is quite important because the difference between critical hits and normal hits is very big. Myself I see at least 5 or 6 times higher, I saw a formula mentioning 10 times higher, not sure it is right. That means that at any level of your char his weapon skill is quite important to know if he can rule or not.
Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 pm