FAQ
Members
Usergroups
THIS GAME IS NICE BUT HAS SOME SERIOUS ISSUES :(
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

THIS GAME IS NICE BUT HAS SOME SERIOUS ISSUES :(

My system scores 11,020 in 3dmark 2002, but this game is tanking my system. Inside I'm anywhere from 80fps down to 40fps, but outside it runs into the 20's sometimes. This is without FSAA, at 1024x768x32 and the view distance at 1/2. On top of that, the graphics (although nice) don't seem to be at such a level that would warrant such horrible performance.

If I can have 43 cars on Nascar 2002 with all the graphics cranked up with better performance, then there is something wrong with this Morrowind engine. I play Morrowind for a while, but I get tired of the choppy play and all the hesitation that occurs (yes I have the patch). I'm spoiled with all my other games because they don't do this. So how can they fix this obvious problem with a patch?

Scott
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:05 am

delijoe

wierd...my 3DMark score is 3469....

my framerate indoors is between 30-100
outdoors it's around 25-30 outside of town and usually doesn't go under 15 in town except when it's REALLY crowded...
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:16 am

Keating277

FPS

Ummm I get a 9000 and I have no problems...running a GForce 4 4600 though so maybe thats why. I love it.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:20 am

Well I just ran it again, and I was a little low on my claims in the fps department (I'm actually running a little higher), but the reality is this game runs in D3D and my score is more then 3 times your score (a D3D benchmark) so I take what you say with a grain of salt Dude, sorry.

My second computer I built for my sone is a Athlon 1.4/GF3 combo, and it confirms what I said in my origional post.

Scott
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:22 am

JohnnyRock30
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Um, actually 3DMark 2002 doesn't exist. There's a 3DMark 2001 se out right now. If your talking about PCMark 2002, that tests your PC under normal operating conditions and won't give you a true reading as to what you should expect when you push your PC's 3D to the max like with Morrowind.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:23 am

quote:
Ummm I get a 9000 and I have no problems...running a GForce 4 4600 though so maybe thats why. I love it.

Yeah me too!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:24 am

3dmark 2001 , sorry, wishful thinking.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:25 am

ElPupitre
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It'd be tough to fix with a patch I bet.. they could add in sliders for detail level at distance, general detail level, character model detail level, maybe something else.. like I said though, it'd be hard to do in a small patch.

PS: Theres already about 100 thresds like the one you started, go read them.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:26 am
JohnnyRock30
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wishful thinking here too. Wanna see what the tests on the 2002 version are gonna look like.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:26 am

quote:
PS: Theres already about 100 thresds like the one you started, go read them.

Sad but true, no point in reading them I guess. I have plenty of games that run very nice on my 1900+/Ti4600 combo. Just too bad this issue takes away from the game so much. I wonder what those beta testers were running this game on?....beta hardware??
Scott
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:29 am

JohnnyRock30
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Not to get smart, but....'

I have a P4 1.8/GeForce3 ti 200 combo and have none of the problems you are talking about. It has to be a system configuration problem on your end, bud.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:32 am
MamoVaka

HAHAH

Another thread that just backs up my claims of horrid FPS

I have a xp1900_ 512 ddr geforce 4ti4600
Same problems here also folks, TERRIBLE fps
with the HIGHEST possible detail and the top AA on I get fps as low as 9
That is not so good eh?
Every other game runs smooth as sweet butter but this one is more like a nightmare. GOD BLESS

It's hilarious there are people with machines 3x slower than our claiming faster fps. LOL
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:38 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Re: THIS GAME IS NICE BUT HAS SOME SERIOUS ISSUES :(

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous(Scott)

If I can have 43 cars on Nascar 2002 with all the graphics cranked up with better performance, then there is something wrong with this Morrowind engine.

Hehe, comparing Morrowind to Nascar 2002...I think the world is coming to an end. I'll tell you why you can have a better performace in Nascar..there is nothing to track but cars (for the most part)...I don't need to elaborate...people know what I mean..

Last edited by Shifter on Thu May 09, 2002 5:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:47 am
Fozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Make a post on "serious issues" and all you can come up with is framerate? At least give us some real issues that don't involve a "I paid a billion dollars for superhunkachunka PC and I'm mad that I can't run Morrowind at 1900x1600 with 4xFSAA and full graphics options". Turning the graphics down to a reasonable level in order to get a higher framerate has no bearing whatsoever on the gameplay, and does not connote a "serious issue", let alone multiple serious issues as the topic implies.

Seems that the only bugs anybody can come up with in this supposed "bug ridden" game is that they can't max out everything and run at 90fps like they can in "every other game they own".
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:54 am
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I don't think it is completely unreasonable to question the choice of rendering engine used in MW. This isn't to say that the NetInfinity engine is not a good choice. While the engine may certainly be advanced, this is still does not exclude other choices as providing better performance.

The performance envolope can always be pushed. The Devs could have decided to use a custom built engine that may have allowed them to squeeze out better performance on today's hardware given the level of detail and amount of effects they wanted to incorporate. They chose not to and I can only assume that the development costs in doing so out weighed their desire to provide a better performing game.

This being said, I don't think its entirely appropriate to compare MW to Nascar or Quake III or any other game. The scope of this game exceeds all others by a fair amount.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:21 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next