Three questions....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Three questions....

One of these questions is probably covered on the forum elsewhere, but I'm in a bit of a hurry here.

What are the pillar circle thingies that appear to be locations for porting or transporting from one pillar to another? (Theres one in the Human City next to the jewelers shop.) If it is a means of transportation, how do I use it?

I'm at the part where I'm supposed to investigate a dissapearance for the King of the Humans. Could someone throw me some good hints? I could use a nudge in the right direction.

The General shop owners daughter is missing. I agreed to help her recover her missing child. I have no idea where to look. I heard a little girl screaming for help between the goblins level and the snake-peoples level. Related?? Hints??? I tried going into the area that is locked, just right of the jewelers shop. I couldn't get inside. Hints??

Thanks! I'll check back in a few.
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:02 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Yes the "pillar circle thingies" are transporters. You'll be told how to use them a bit later on.

For Shany, I think you need to first solve the quest you were given by the King.

The quest the King has given you is to investigate Orbiplanax's murder. He didn't "dissapear"... Go talk to all the people in the castle.
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:50 am
Heldwin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

SPOILER !

Normally, after you get the quest Save Shany, you can open on of the 2 doors that are locked of the house on the right of the Jewel Shop. At the first door, you hear a man telling you to go away, but the 2nd door on your right, will now be open. Take the book inside to start the next step of quest) ...

If you success to save Shany, Shany's Mother will tell you that you can get a free item of your choice in her shop, but it is wrong. You will receive automaticaly 2 potions instead. The reward has been changed in a patch, but they didn't change what is telling you Shany's Mother.
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:48 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I'd also suggest you do a search and read up on the Shany quest. It's one of the two most asked about topics and is VERY easily ruined. Save often.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:04 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Yeah... It's harder to change coices since they'd need to hire the actors who originally made them.

This gets especially hard when the game support smultiple languages like Arx and each localization would need to ask their respective actors to read a new line over again...
Post Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:11 am
randy3099
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

there is a reason shany needs to to be sacrificed

her voice is irritating, she's only worth a couple measly potions... wasted more life juice saving her... wish she was still around when i had to cut my own skin in the crypt, couldve used her then...

whoever heard of a little girl running "down several levels in the scary crypt" and living to tell about it- she's already a liar!

and her mom deserves what she gets- as soon as you save her, if you manage/want to- she runs right back out of the house and disappears again, probably into the crypt for a little hide and seek with liches....

by the way, dont interrupt her conversation with the guard the first time you meet her in town, theres a bug there that if you {escape} from the conversation, it will lock up your game and youll have to go back to a saved game.

i think she's the illegimate daughter of that stuck up, money hungry, crumpet- Gary's fiance'. but you cant have a child out of wedlock in Arx, so miss nose in the air had to pawn her off on the shopkeeper to raise her, and since she's not her own child, she doesnt stop business to keep shany out of the crypt.

dont lose a whole day's play saving the little alarm clock girl, let her make AkBaa 10 hit points stronger by dying on a cold hard surface!

i know, im a wicked person.....
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:25 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Re: there is a reason shany needs to to be sacrificed

quote:
Originally posted by randy3099
her voice is irritating, she's only worth a couple measly potions... wasted more life juice saving her... wish she was still around when i had to cut my own skin in the crypt, couldve used her then...
You can use blood vials instead
quote:
whoever heard of a little girl running "down several levels in the scary crypt" and living to tell about it- she's already a liar!
She didn't run into the crypt or lower level... She was taken hostage by whoever you found in the door telling you where to look for her...
quote:
and her mom deserves what she gets- as soon as you save her, if you manage/want to- she runs right back out of the house and disappears again, probably into the crypt for a little hide and seek with liches....
Um, she's right there aounrd the front of the shop... and the Crypt is looked until you change that situation anyway.
quote:
by the way, dont interrupt her conversation with the guard the first time you meet her in town, theres a bug there that if you {escape} from the conversation, it will lock up your game and youll have to go back to a saved game.
Not to say that there isn't a bug but I always canceled it after the first time I heard it without problems, though I highly suggest follwing your tip and saving first. Heck, basically in tha game before passing a level or talking to someone, SAVE!
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:36 pm
randy3099
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

thanks for responding Red. my post was mostly for humor's sake. but you dont appear to have talked to her prior to her being kidnapped, which is what i am referring to in most of my stuff. she claims to have went several levels down in the crypt by herself, when you talk with her for the first time. at this point, it is usually long before the crypt is ever unlocked. we assume from the note over the lock that is it even before carlos locked the place to begin with.
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:20 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I've talked to her before. I figured that when she did that it was safe(r)... I mean at some point when they brough the bodies (like the original astronomer's) in there weren't all these undead running all over the place, and that's when I'm guessing she went there.

I mean come on, a single shot of anything kills her, I highly doubt she would have lasted long with Lich infested tomb...
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:28 pm
randy3099
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Shany is a satanist, i mean, Akbaa-ist

like i said earlier, i am still searching for the hidden plot line where SHany turns out to be in league with Dark Side. I dont think we have seen the end of her, see my other posts regarding my off the wall theory about Shany.

Im having almost as much fun talking to everyone here as playing the game.
Post Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:17 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

This game is fun, but the storyline seems a little shaky...

Teleports -- Got it. Thanks.

Shany -- Wait until after I complete the King's quest first. Got it.

Kings Quest -- I'm still lost. I talked to everyone in the castle already. I went inside the dead guys room and took the stuff he had, eccept for the stuff thats hidden behind the curten which I need a code to access. I remember going in those two doors next to the jeweler's shop before completing the Idol quest. I assume now that it must have been a bug because the people/person inside those doors went running for the guards. I didn't see them run out but I heard them yelling to the guards for help. When I turned around one of the doors was open and the other door was unlocked. I took everything from both those rooms. I had a lot of books on me and at the time I didn't have the second bag yet. They were taking up too much room so I sold all the books I had to the general shop owner. Yes, I did read them all before selling them. Its been about 2-3 weeks since I last played, so my memory is a little vague. What was the book called? Once I buy the book back, will it have instructions in it for me to follow? More hints or even some intructions might be necessary in order for me to complete this quest. If a certain person inside the castle is supposed to trigger the next event, tell me where he/she is located. I'm sure I talked to everyone in the castle already, but its worth a try to talk to him/her again if necessary -- just in case it didn't work the first time.

Thanks

Gothic's Loyal City Guard
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:46 am
randy3099
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Shany quest....

is assigned by her mother, the general shopkeeper, adjacent to crypt and across from jeweler, in town not castle. talk to her.

but i think your problem is in timing. you cant get the shany quest becuase it has already taken place. i mean, if you heard screams between snake level and goblin level, that was your chance to save her, and since you didnt, she is already jam on akbaa's toast. got a savegame that is before you heard her scream?
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:57 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Either I'm really confused or you didn't read my last post correctly. I'm not on the Shany quest yet. I guess.... The mother is still waiting for me to save her daughter, but someone on a previous post above pointed out that I need to complete the King's Quest before I can work on the Shany quest. My questions are currently concerning the King's Quest. Unless of course I misread the post above and I'm actually supposed to go save Shany now, and not after the King's Quest. If this is the case, then I am already royally screwed because I heard the screams a long time ago and don't have any saved games back there. I'd rather not play an RPG thats so unstable that you can play for days and not know you've screwed yourself just because you didn't know how to react to some distant screams. I had no idea where they were coming from. I am pretty sure I searched the entire level from top to bottom with the ecception of any locked areas. If shany was anywhere I had access too, then she must have died and her course disapeared before I got to the location where she was at. I hope this isn't going to be another Morrowind kind of deal...

In Morrowind I had devoted months of gameplay. I was working on a quest and had to find a certain NPC. I found my way into what I didn't know at the time was actually a town, inside a funny tree looking thingy.(I forget the name, sorry.) With Morrowind having over 10,000 NPC's, I couldn't very well stop and talk to every single NPC I come across when trying to complete a single quest. While searching I ended up in a lower level where I was attacked by a ghoul type creature. Common sense told me to defend myelf and kill the creature attacking me. So I did. Little did I know, it was actually just a city person with some kind of disease that tansfered him/her into this creature's image. I wasn't supposed to kill them, instead I was supposed to just run from them. I would have known this if I had stopped to talk to the 5 or so NPC's I ran pass while searching for the proper quest NPC. I was trying to focus on the quest at hand. It turned out that by killing that creature, I wasn't able to progress in the game. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the point where I was stuck as a result of this action until weeks later. As you can probably imagine, I was extremely dissapointed and put the game away and never played it again. Its a shame it had such a massively huge flaw... Please don't tell me Arx Fatalis is going to be a similar experience...

I don't usually criticize games. However, I felt it was relevant. Since I did criticize one, its only appropriate I give praise to one. GOTHIC IS PERFECT! One great thing about Gothic is that you never "forget" what your objective or current quest is. Everything is so beautifully and brilliantly fit in with the storyline. Dooming yourself by making bad moves? No such thing. The only way you can really mess your game up is if you kill NPC's that don't attack you first. Still, in some cases killing NPC's that don't attack you first is tolerated. Another good example, in Gothic you can do quests before they are even handed to you. If you've beat the game already, you can go ahead and do certain things before even being instructed to do so. This will not throw off the flow of the game. The opposite is perhaps the biggest flaw in today's RPG games. Let curiousity get the best of you, and three weeks later you realize you've spent 5 months working on a game and three weeks ago you messed it all up without even knowing it. Those of you who don't have Gothic, GET IT! They are hard to find unless you purchase via internet, but worth it!

P.S. I think Gothic 2 is being released in the US next month.

Gothic's Loyal City Guard, SirDeity
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:36 am
randy3099
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i feel you, dude

1. no worries. if you screw up shany, it doesnt alter the game. there is just bonus xp to be found in the shany side quest.

2. i dont beleive you have to complete the king's quest before shany quest. they are indepenedent of each other.

3. look for shany herself outside the crypt entrance/her mom's store, if she's there then you can still do that quest.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:18 am
randy3099
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

the "trigger" you seem to be missing in the conference trigger. if you have already talked to felnor, the alchemist, and you have already talked to chinkash, snake woman (she BTW told you to read a certain book in her library in the castle, or gave the book to you in your inventory), then you go to falan obiplex's room and somewhere you got the combo to the safe, which is 2-4-8

... i assume you are not using the walkthrough, admirerable, but hard to play with out "cheating" with the walkthru....

opening the safe triggers the next quest.

i hope this helps where you are currently in the game.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:24 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next