Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The best Captain of the Star Trek franchise?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

The best Captain of the Star Trek franchise?
Captain Kirk?
31%
 31%  [ 9 ]
Captain Picard?
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
Captain Janeway?
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Captain Sisko?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Captain Archer?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

Author Thread
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally by Hexy
Hmmmm...

Judging from their knowledge and skills in areas that are basically completely made up, and with rules/terminology that changes/is made up to suit each episode... I'd have to say yes.
That was good...just priceless. (Shakes his head in laughter and satisfaction)
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:28 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh, make no mistake, the statement "Furthermore, I do believe that Picards hardass crew > Kirk and bunch of whiny old men" still stands quite firmly.

As for Pic's crew not showing emotions; you don't have to bicker like grumpy old men to show emotions.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:24 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

We weren't finished? Oh, you meant this...
quote:
Hmmmm...

Judging from their knowledge and skills in areas that are basically completely made up, and with rules/terminology that changes/is made up to suit each episode... I'd have to say yes.
...as a valid point. I thought that you were saying that sarcastically to mean that it is a moot point to say that one character is more able in fictional skills than another, because both are going to mysteriously already know what they need to save the day. Give me a minute, I need to compare that statement with the mythology.

Riker, LaForge, and Crusher did nothing to convince me Spock, Scotty, and McCoy, respectively were not more able than they were.

Crusher, Troy, LaForge, never showed any emotion; no anger, no fear, no love, no hate, nothing. They didn't even run when they had only seconds to save the ship. It was funny...
Data:"the ship will explode unless we get to engineering in 10 seconds"
Laforge: (walking fast) I am on my way.
Data: (bewildered by his companion's lack of urgency) Why don't we run?
LaForge: "Running is against ship rules"

Somestimes people get mad; sometimes they argue. Men often trade insults a show of friendship. These are realistic parts of life. I think I will call my best friend and curse him out now.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

Crusher, Troy, LaForge, never showed any emotion; no anger, no fear, no love, no hate, nothing. They didn't even run when they had only seconds to save the ship. It was funny...
Data:"the ship will explode unless we get to engineering in 10 seconds"
Laforge: (walking fast) I am on my way.
Data: (bewildered by his companion's lack of urgency) Why don't we run?
LaForge: "Running is against ship rules"

Somestimes people get mad; sometimes they argue. Men often trade insults a show of friendship. These are realistic parts of life. I think I will call my best friend and curse him out now.

Quite false. You have obviously not seen much Next Generation. I'll give an example episode: Pegasus.

Oh, BTW, did the old crew run around much? I don't remember much of that... maybe because they managed to run and bicker at the same time.

quote:

...as a valid point. I thought that you were saying that sarcastically to mean that it is a moot point to say that one character is more able in fictional skills than another, because both are going to mysteriously already know what they need to save the day. Give me a minute, I need to compare that statement with the mythology.

Riker, LaForge, and Crusher did nothing to convince me Spock, Scotty, and McCoy, respectively were not more able than they were.

Oh, you still miss the fact that their made-up skills have no impact on which I prefer? And even if it did, it still seems to me that the new crew is more gathered than the old.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:51 am
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I think we are mis-communicating. Please note that this post is not to advance my point, but rather to understand yours. The questions I am about to ask are not in an argumentative tone; They are honest questions meant to correct a lack of understanding as to what you are trying to tell me.

Are you saying that Picard's crew, as viewed from within the mythology, is better?
Are you saying that the actors on the NextGen show do a better job, as viewed from outside the mythology?
Exactly what do you mean when you say that the old crew bickers?
What IS to basis for which crew you prefer?

What happened in the "Pegasus" episode? I have seen quite a bit of Next Generation. In fact, if I have not seen every episode at least twice I have seen almost every one twice. But I don't know the names of every episode. If you tell me what happened briefly, I will remember the episode.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:11 pm
gamemaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Of course - Kirk is King of Star Trek just like Christopher Reeve will always be the best Superman actor.
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:31 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3