IWD2 So Far...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

IWD2 So Far...

Well, I finally got my greedy little paws on IWD2 (for the record, yes Interplay shipped the game late and shipped it from California instead of Edmonton... but the overnight courier service still took 20 days to get it to me).

Installed it and set out to rock and roll.

So far... the music score is really good (plus), the third edition rules (including the nebulous and confusing ECL rules) are largely intact (plus), and the 2d background art is as good as ever, or even better (plus).

What's surprised me so far is how FUNNY the dialogue in the prologue is... carry around a dead cat and talk to everyone about everything and you'll get a taste of it. I don't know if it will hold true for the rest of the game, but I've found different dialogue branches with various NPCs based on race, class, and gender so far... as well as attributes. I was surprised in a good way.

With judicious use of free floating text comments above NPCs heads it feels a little more alive than other infinity games (and the free floating text is funner to read than the lame comments spewed by the NPCs in Morrowind for the most part). The voice acting is really solid.

Walking speed, as always, feels like a crawl... and there's been a lot of fed exing in the prologue (and the NPCs have commented on it, too, which was a great dialogue). Things do seem a little dull and flat compared to all the wonder-games on the market... but graphics is one of the least of my criteria (go Fallout 1 and 2!).

That's what I've noted so far in the prologue, which has some nice story driven quests. If it remains I think the game will do ok by me. We'll have to see.

IWD2 is NOT innovative at all so far (and I can't imagine that changing much), but it does incorporate everything they've learned about the infinity engine to date... and I don't mind the infinity engine (like to see some variety in the avatars and paperdolls in particular, though).

Unlike other infinity games, this one has the perk of being running REALLY well on my computer... no slowdown, little load time. Definately a perk...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:34 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Glad to see you finally got it and seem to be enjoying it so far. IWD2 doesn't seem to garnered a lot of praise from RPGDot readers so I'm interested in your full review.
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:34 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Yeah, it's quite desolated around here, even compare to the Divinity forums on this board.
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:29 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

RPGDot has never had a large D&D following. Even the NWN forum isn't particularly active.

I'm still getting chuckles at the dialogue in chapter one... not bad. Hit the first dungeon and got a taste of the dungeon crawling. Ouch. Definately a D&D tactical element to this puppy... good thing I've been playing D&D for more than 15 years and entered the dungeon prepared...

And as of the beginning of chapter 1 (I think I'm still near the beginning of chapter one) I have compiled and solved a list of 26 distinct quests.

Definately feels like there's a LOT to do in the game...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:32 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Well I am one RPGDotter who loves Icewind Dale and D&D stuff. I am currently playing Baldurs Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal, going to finish it for the first (and probably last) time. So, we are not completely destitute of D&D fans

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:44 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

if you feel your walking speed is too slow, turn up your FPS in options,,,I keep mine at 40!
Post Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:45 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I was thinking about upping the FPS but I'm trying not to modify the game beyond recommended settings for the review (not unlocking 1024 or 1600 resolution modes, etc). I don't want to tweak something and then suffer game crashes as a result.

Oh, and for the record... no crashes yet. At all. In about 20 hours. No CTD, no blue screens, not even music looping errors or graphic refresh problems.

Made it to a certain part of chapter one. Woah. Reload city. Wouldn't have been if I wasn't a perfectionist... I reload any fight where I lose even one character... and at low levels where a lucky critical from the enemy can drop your character... add to that being outnumbered about 10 to 1.... well...

But I was expecting to reload a bit in serious battles. Just starting chapter 2.... 2 down... something many to go... dialogues are still fun, but it's beginning to go longer between them.

Post Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:03 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

I've never had a problem with upping the FPS. the only time I've ever crashed was when I kept alt-tabbing and doing other stuff while the game was in the background.
Post Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:22 pm