Usergroups
what r u playing right NOW?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Evil Islands is a great game, as long as it remains playable that is!
I was really impressed with the look of the game, Im a sucker for 360 degree zoomable 3D. The item creation and magic system is cool too, I enjoyed making items and all that. Lots of cool sneaking too, fun stealth aspects to it. Wheres the prob? It comes down to the difficulty. Enemies regenerate health as time goes on, they actually regenerate faster than you can dole damage. I was using the biggest weapon possible too. So, unless you score a string of criticals, youll theoretically never kill it. That's another thing, the enemy scores criticals left and right.

IMHO, the graphics are great, and the gameplay is really fun. For the first 2 lands you visit anyway, then the game becomes unplayable. Just stopped playing it, felt like I was fighting a futile battle
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:25 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, the story is really linear. It's definately in the Adventure/RPG vein in that respect. Your choices are limited and dialogue in mostly you listening to your character's banter. It feels like an RTS (think Warcraft 3) when you zoom out and look at things from the birds-eye view. The premise for the story is kinda weak, although I like the main character's approach to it. Sort a, "Who cares about your silly village, I just want to get off this frickin' island!"
The gameplay is solid and I like their approach to item and spell creation. It adds a new and interesting twist. Picking up a new type of metal, stone or bone and then running back to town to upgrade my weapons so I can take on bigger baddies.

Overall, I like it. It's not stellar though. If you see it for a good price, then it might be worth your while.
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:13 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Thanks for the feedback. Next time I'm stateside I'll check out the bargain bins.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:50 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Ninja Gaiden - Xbox

As a diehard fan of the original 8-bit trilogy I am quite pleased with this game. It's very long for this type of game. The graphics are the best ever for a console game. Play control is silky-smooth. Every enemy can and will kick your ass if you put down your gaurd. This is not a button masher...if you play like that you will never make it even past the 2nd level. The move set is so deep that it rivals Soul-Calibur. You can level your weapons up. Their are shops like Symphony of the Night(castlevania) where you can buy stuff and trade in scarabs that you find. The game is non-linear...the levels are set-up like an adventure game where you must find certain items and using jumping skills to reach hidden areas. The enemies re-spawn like the old-school games. All 3 of the original games are hidden in the game. Only recommended for hardcore gamers. You have to master the controls, moves, and blocking. So far I have gotten Greater Ninja rankings and one Master Ninja rating for ever level. The camera is perfect for the 60fps speed of this game. You have a first person view for accuracy in ranged weapons. And you have a swing trigger to reset the camera behind you. If you cannot see enemies than you should be holding the block-button. You can dodge by holding block and the left analog to do rolls. Finally, an action game worth mastering. And don't worry...lots of little babies will return the game saying it's too hard...then you can get your copy used.
Another great action game that is in the bargan bin would be Otogi:Myth of Demons.

Deus Ex 1&2 - still replaying these games.
Morrowind - 300+ hours and still playing
Wizardry 8 - this game is pretty badass
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:24 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Re: what r u playing right NOW?

Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:07 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Gothic and Gothic 2: Inserting people and animals and staging huge battles is so much fun!

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:08 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ninja Gaiden... I really want to try that out. Never been a fan of respawning baddies in general, but if it works for the game then it works for the game...

And Otogi (1 and 2?) ... they look really interesting, I want to play those too... are they Xbox-only as well?

Man - what with these and Fable, I think the writing is on the wall for me and my next paycheque (and I've only just bought a PS2 and GC!).

Anyway, what am I playing? Only the most satisfying game ever made: Die By The Sword!!!!!!

Have at you!!
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:47 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

now playing Call of Duty (multiplayer, i already finished single player)

after that i think i'll go UT 2004
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:12 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by piln

Anyway, what am I playing? Only the most satisfying game ever made: Die By The Sword!!!!!!

"I'll cleave your head from your bloody shoulders!"
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:16 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
"I'll cleave your head from your bloody shoulders!"

haha, yes indeedy... he has a great turn of phrase, doesn't he? I think "I'll comfort yer widow" is my favourite, although it's clear he is a man of broad tastes when he says it to dwarves and skeletons! And I'm pretty sure this is the only game in which I've heard the word "b*ll*cks." Ground-breaking stuff.

I played it on keyboard and mouse when it first came out, and that was about as easy as astral projection - but now I'm playing it on a dual-analogue gamepad with the sword mapped to the right stick and it's wonderful! I can actually aim! "Die, coward!"
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:32 pm
Rydjord
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Just finnished Spellforce and now i kant find annything to play.
Im scared
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:24 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

Lotsa button mashing
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:36 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Ive played it a bit too, Secrlet Agent L'vanda ='.'= Played it for a couple hours on a 61" screen over at a friend's house today(and again today) Blasted the mayor and his cronies, got "Mr Puss" the cat for Ruby (tho he's dead! ). Tried out alot of the weapons, the rifle is the best thus far. But the torch is fun tho, for taking out the giant insects the fire really helps.

I liked the boss battle, was really getting into Nadia's almost Croft-like cartwheel and backward dodge flips. I was going to come on here and stick up for it after I played it, I dont think it's all that bad for a console title.
Heresy?
Not really. It's a Fallout game, people. If you like the music and the look of the Fallout series, you are missing out if you dont check out this game.
Blasphemy?
No, to see the Fallout environment in 360 degree 3-D is pretty cool. Trashed city and landscape, lots of rusty broken machinery and the usual after the apocalypse look of Fallout. Lots of green, bubbling toxic waste. Smarmy characters and environments. The game just feels somewhat seedy, that's Fallout. To hear a new Fallout theme, the 1950-esque music is there. Pip is there. Radscorpions and mutants are there.
Insanity?
No, trust me, Im not saying it's a Fallout RPG at all. But I am saying its an ok action game, I havent gotten far enough to declare it great or anything yet. But if youre gonna play an action game why not do it in Fallout-ville? Theres putting points into different attributes and skills as you level up. And you get lots of inventory stuff, weapons, armor. Theres revolting NPcs who give you quests and sell/buy stuff. Pip is there, helping you decide your skills. But no, it's not an RPG. Nope, not worth playing unless you are into Fallout lore.

Im trying to see if I can find that "Nuclear Blast" song as an MP3, it's great. That's the horrible thing about console, you cant just go in and take any file or screenshot you want

I really think they should redo Fallout 1 & 2 on the console, not change them, just convert them to that format. Would love to see those side-frags on a 61" tv!

edit- I found that great 50's style theme song, by the one and only Craig Stuart Garfinkle(who?). I dunno, but it rules

http://www.midiotmusic.com/MP3/NuclearBlast.mp3

edit again!- bad linkage and added linkage and paraphenalia
at least watch the trailers-

Promo Trailer

Ruby Promo "Double-Wide" Trailer - mature!

Nadia's Trailer

Official Fallout: POS site
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain

Last edited by xSamhainx on Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:08 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I'm playing Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow! Move over Thief 3. Sam Fisher can kick Garrett's butt back to the medieval ages:rpgrin:

Was about to start a game of Geneforge 2(finally got it) but my local store just received a few copies of SC. So, Geneforge 2 has to wait till I finish the SC, lol. Great stealth gameplay (better than the first SC) and seriously, it's more immersive compared to most RPGs in the market.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:07 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
61" screen

Well, I don't think you're insane. A good game's a good game, platform and genre don't come into it. Sure, it's disappointing that there's no "proper" Fallout 3, but if you use that as an excuse to turn your nose up at other good games, then you're only doing yourself a disservice. Of course, if you don't like action games at all, then it's understandable.

@Wolfgarou:
Have you tried the multiplayer on SC:PT? Don't know if they kept it this way, but I read a preview saying that the "mercs" team would use 1st-person and the "ninja" team would use 3rd-person view. Sounded like a brilliant idea, I'm curious to know how it turned out.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:28 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 36, 37, 38  Next