Dungeon Lords: Review @ RPGFan
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dungeon Lords: Review @ RPGFan

RPGFan has an interesting <a href="http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/dungeonlords/index.html" target="_blank">review</a> of Heuristic Park's 'Dungeon Lords'. The text belts every aspect of the game but the score takes a right-turn, awarding a fair 7/10. Here's the intro:<blockquote><em>I’d like to play a little word association to start this review. Sid Meier: Civilization. Will Wright: SimCity. D.W. Bradley: ummm, clothing store, possibly? <br> <br>Let’s face it folks, in order to have your name associated with a game, you’ve got to have some really killer products on your resume, and be the driving force behind them. Sid and Will have got that in spades, but D.W. Bradley is a name I had to search for. What I found was that he worked on Wizardry and some of the earlier Might & Magic titles. Okay, that’s decent work experience, but when was the last time we saw a good Might & Magic title, or for that matter a playable PC Wizardry title? It’s been a long time, that’s for sure, so the street cred doesn’t apply here. But I thought maybe this will be Bradley’s comeback. Maybe this will show people that one of the godfathers of CRPGs can still kick butt with the best of the new crowd. <br> <br>Oh lord, was I wrong.</em></blockquote>...
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:57 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

The reviewer is little bit 'off the picture' with Bradley, however the conclusion is good.
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:59 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
The reviewer is little bit 'off the picture' with Bradley...

I agree. That's like saying a soldier who fought for their country back in the days of world war 2 isn't really a hero anymore because... well... what has he done lately?

I think a better way to have said it would have been to say that while Bradley was involved with some excellent titles in the past, if he keeps being involved with titles shipped in a state such as dungeon lords he's gonna chip away greatly at the name he worked so hard to establish in the past.
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:44 pm
knight37
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

From this reviewer's point of view, though, he's a nobody. He probably never played the Wizardry games or something.

But at any rate, I find it kind of funny that they gave the game a 70% after such a scathing review. I mean, from the sound of it, this reviewer didn't appreciate anything except possibly the controls. Yet he gives it a 70. Is that 70 out of 100 or what?

But anyway, I think the reviewer was mostly spot-on except that I'd give the graphics a little more credit and I'd give the skill advancement system a lot more credit. But overall, he's right, the game feels unfinished. Lets hope the game gets better after the upcoming 1.3 patch.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:36 am
Wolfie_

"when was the last time we saw ... a playable PC Wizardry title? It’s been a long time, that’s for sure,"

Have to agree, the reviewer apparently not a Wizardry follower. It was only 3.5 years ago since the last PC Wizardy title was released, which true can no longer be called recent, but not what most would refer to as "a long time" either. <humphs and stomps away>

Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:58 pm

FadedC

I think his point was just that some game creators can attach their name to the title of a game, and it's a mark of quality that will help sell games. DW Bradley is not one of these people. Sadly in the future it may become more of a warning label (for me it already was after wizards and warriors).
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:59 pm

knight37
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well Troika certainly got a name for releasing buggy RPG titles, and that was the death of them. It seems that Heuristic Park is heading down the same path. Lets hope they redeem themselves by polishing up Dungeon Lords and the next game they do had better be rock solid, otherwise they'll end up where Troika is now... non-existant.
Post Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:26 pm

I heard this game is sh!t on a stck.
Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:47 am

Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by knight37
Well Troika certainly got a name for releasing buggy RPG titles, and that was the death of them. It seems that Heuristic Park is heading down the same path. Lets hope they redeem themselves by polishing up Dungeon Lords and the next game they do had better be rock solid, otherwise they'll end up where Troika is now... non-existant.

Yes, but the thing is Troika actually made awesome games, not this pile of dung that Dipshit Bradley believes is his grand step forward in RPGs. Please, was any expecting this game to be anything other than a flaming heap of ass?
Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:22 pm