2003: Year in Review @ RPG Codex
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

2003: Year in Review @ RPG Codex

RPG Codex has looked back at the past CRPG gaming year in <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=94" target="_blank">2003: The Year in Review</a>. It's an interesting read although those easily offended need not apply. Here's a fun snippet:<blockquote><em>Legends of Aranna manages to provide exactly the same point-and-don't-click-because-your-party-is-doing-just-fine-without-you-thanks gameplay as the original game with the added boost of not requiring you to drink potions for your party anymore. This game has reduced player interaction to smashing crates in search of loot. You don't need to do anything else as the, ah, "streamlined interface" (bad game, great euphemisms!) plays the game for you. <br> <br>So if you're looking for a game where you can just curl up in front of the computer under your favourite blankie with a hot mug of cocoa and watch the fun, Dungeon Siege is for you. Sorry, does that sound like a movie? Well, heck, that's basically what Dungeon Siege ends up being. To add insult to injury, an actual Dungeon Siege movie is being made! <br> <br>And as an added bonus, completely free of charge, no purchase necessary, Legends of Aranna serves as a heart-chilling reminder that Dungeon Siege 2 -- Game Plays YOU (working title) is coming later this year. I'll go hang myself!</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:29 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Pretty verbal stuff there. But Bioware horrible? HotU was pretty good, IMHO. Not to mention KOTOR is the best SW game EVER!
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:32 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'd agree with almost everything except that KOTOR wasn't great. While KOTOR had it's problems, and is nowhere near as good as BG2, it was still the best game released last year. Another RPG mess they didn't mention was the disaster that was Deus Ex 2. Another case of ' Console games sell billions, lets forget our roots'. Still haven't seen the game on any console charts, and the bad press could devestate Thief: Console sales as well.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:06 pm
billoute
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

RPGcodex says here what we think but don't dare (or not want) to say.. RPG genre is dying.

SW IS the best star wars game (even if i put it ex-eaquo with X-wing Alliance), but for sure as a RPG it fails. too linear and too bad combat system for my taste... too consolish would i say. too bad, even with theses flaw it's probably the less worst RPG we could have this year..it says all about the current RPG genre quality.

as for Deus 2 missing, well according to RPGCodex it's not a RPG (and less RPGish than was the first game)so he doesn't desserve to be listed. and so far, they'r right.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:25 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I would agree about Deus Ex 2 not being a RPG, but the original certainly was. As for the PC RPG dying, far from it. The problem is it takes so long to develop these games that it can feel that way. We have beyond Divinity soon, KOTOR 2, the new Bioware pc game that's supposed to be similar to Baldur's Gate, Vampire, Arx FAtalis 2, Metalheart, Gothic 3, Project Phoenix, the FAll, and of course the next Elder Scrolls game which I have very high hopes for.

And Might and Magic 10.

There was never going to be any great RPGs released last year, as all the major ones were released the year before. So long as small companys can produce games of the standard of Divine Divinity, Gothic and Arx Fatalis, I have no fears for the genre.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:12 pm
Zagorin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The synopsis is that the all rpg games of 2003 sucks except Troika's game. Any serious RPG Gamer can really believe that Temple of the Elemental Evil is better than Knights of the Old Republic? Heck...I like the Hordes of the Underdark much more than ToEE.

Last edited by Zagorin on Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:18 pm
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well,

The guys at RPGcodex always do have a very strict and narrow-minded view of RPG-like-games and IMHO they are sometimes offending and even outright insulting. If you visit their forums you do regularly get flamed for stating that you do like Bioware games.
They praise TOEE, but I cannot see why.
A D&D combat simulation with a very shallow story is in my opininon not the type of game I want to play, but I believe they praise it because it was made by Troika and that negates most of TOEE`s negatives in their eyes.

The forums here are much more tolerant of different opinions and the people here much friendlier and thats why I like it here much more than over there.

L.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:45 pm

No suprise here. RPGCondex is the ultimate Troika fan site.

There was a thread a while ago asking people why they join the site, and the majority of the answer was "I hate Bioware", and "I love Tim Cain".
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:43 pm

Gandhi

Comes off like whining

The whole write-up came off as bitchin' and whining to me. A year in review is supposed to comment on the positives and the negatives. All he did was whine.

This is the frist time I visited that site, and after reading that crap, I am pretty sure I am not going to visit it again.
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:50 pm

Spazmo

There's something unfair here. We all have a right to our opinions (and to opinions about those opinions). It is our opinion (mostly) that BioWare makes decent enough games, but bad CRPGs. It is also our opinion that ToEE was a pretty neat game.

What bugs me is when people say the Codex only liked ToEE because we're all Troika fanboys. I'm not saying we're not Troika fans, but isn't it at least possible that we could have enjoyed ToEE just because we like it? Does liking ToEE necessarily make us biased fanboys?

When another site or person professes a liking of BioWare's work, we don't call them biased. We just consider them stupid. It's abrasive, yes, but at least we don't try to explain an opinion we don't agree with by calling it bias and a refusal to admit one's favourite developer has failed. I can freely admit that ToEE was pretty buggy. I can freely admit that the opening areas were poorly designed. Troika isn't some kind of sacred cow to our staff. But when someone presents an opinion that we genuinely disagree with, we'll argue. That's all.

Spazmo
http://www.rpgcodex.com
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:36 pm

Zagorin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Spazmo
There's something unfair here(....)
When another site or person professes a liking of BioWare's work, we don't call them biased. We just consider them stupid.

I wonder what is more unfair or aggresive. To call someone, for his opinion, biased or stupid?
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:53 pm
Spazmo

I'd definitely say calling someone biased more unfair. At least calling someone's opinion stupid implies that it is that person's honest opinion. Calling an opinion biased implies blind, fanatical devotion to something and that is not what the RPG Codex is about.

Our only bias is towards good CRPGs. We honestly liked Troika's games (although some staff members disliked Arcanum quite a bit). We honestly don't like BioWare's games so far in terms of RPGs. That's all there is to it.

While I'm here...

quote:
Originally posted by Ghandi
The whole write-up came off as bitchin' and whining to me. A year in review is supposed to comment on the positives and the negatives. All he did was whine.

Well, the point of the piece is that there weren't really many positives to 2003. It was a terrible year for CRPGs. If you disagree, then would you care to point out what was good about the past year RPG-wise?
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:05 am

Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:

Well, the point of the piece is that there weren't really many positives to 2003. It was a terrible year for CRPGs. If you disagree, then would you care to point out what was good about the past year RPG-wise?

Gothic 2? Did that come out 2003?
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:40 am
Spazmo

It didn't come out in North America in 2003 and I was thus unable to play it in the past year.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:42 am

Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

BTW, I enjoyed the "Bitchin' and moaning." I am tired of reading how awesome Morrowind is.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:48 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next