Usergroups
satellite chats
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Okay, so now I am getting annoyed that I don't have a feel for what a 'good buy' is. It is silly to assume that in a universe filled with computers that I should not have access to a data base to let me know whether 100 is a good price for Ore or not. I mean, I can understand not having a price for Fred's Outstanding Salsa, but something as basic as ore?

So where can I get this info?
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:02 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

You need the best buy/sell software. It makes trading much easier. The egosoft boards have a lot of info that's helpful if you want to look for it. Basically, buy energy for 9 and sell for 22 to get started. Buy silicon for about 230-270 and sell for 720-780. When you have a ship that can carry it. Xen can give you more details as he's the MASTER!! That's how I made my first million. I don't bother with anything else except crystals for my SPP's.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:30 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Best buy and best sell extensions... ah, the Teladi have such an eye for profit. Buy low, sell high... and a fun way to ensure that is a satellite system among your favorite trading rings! Sattelites when combined with best buy/sell let you scan entire sectors at once looking for profit ensuring you always get to buy for 9 and sell for 22... or for 200 and sell for 700. Using sattelites, my TL, and a swarm of mantas I did a circle from argon prime back to argon prime (headed to red light, then up to kingdom's end, across to mendelius's frontier, and down) and traded each sector out of profit in an hour or two. I made millions.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:54 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Okay, so lets see if I have this right:

Step 1 - Find a place to get the best buy/best sell software.
Step 2 - Drop sattelites in systems I might be interested in trading in.
Step 3 - Start trading.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, what satellites? And what (if any ) strategy is there to dropping them? And how do I deploy them? ... etc.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:00 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I dont think you need satelites at first. I made my first million without satelites very easily. I think the satelites will be a lot more efficient when you have a fleet...
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:09 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I disagree with Xen on the satellites. You get full pricing info on any sector you have any ship in. A satellite will only allow you to get pricing from a sector you aren't in. But, if you aren't already in it, there's a good chance the prices will change before you can get one of your ships to the dock.

You can make a killing taking goods from one sector to another (which would make satellite info useful), but flying time is wasted time. I prefer to pick a sector clean and then move on. Certainly, it's not a max-profit scenerio, but there's less flying time involved and you don't have the expense and hassle of placing satellites.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:22 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Actually, they're useful when you're a single ship trading... as when you have a fleet you typically will have an asset in or near the sectors you want to be trading in, and won't need sattelites.

Sattelites *are* completely optional, of course, if you don't mind running a circular pattern to check yourself. They come into their own when you're using a jump drive, though.

Don't get advanced sats... they cost 13,000 or more each. Basic ones are 2 to 4 thousand and serve your needs as well if placed in the center of a sector (advanced have a larger radius but X2 clumps factories nicely).

Be warned... Sattelites are Khaak-cakes. They can't get enough of them. You may have noticed they spawn more in sectors you have assets in and your poor little one hit, one kill satellite is too good to pass up... being immobile and not nearly invulnerable like a factory. That's another reason for using 'basic' sats... you get some mileage out of something that cost 3000 and go 'eh, whatever' when it gets blown up. 13,000 or more and you start to get a little peeved as the Khaak play pac-man with them.

It is because of the 'getting Khaak'd' factor that most people don't bother deploying a large sat array... it is a nuisance to maintain.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:31 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It's "Jump on Xen" day! Just because he's already won the game once while the rest of us are barely in our first M6 (if that far) doesn't mean he knows nuttin about nuttin...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:48 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Well, as a start up person, with only a Mercury the satellites seem like they might be a good idea.

The jump drive. That reminds me, what does it use as fuel? I saved the game, bought one, couldn't use it and went back to schelping back and forth in Argon Prime making a smeezily 25k or so per hour of play. I MUST be doing wrong.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:53 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Jump drives run on energy cells... and a Merc could be making 25k a TRIP. Home of Light isn't a bad place to run, neither is Red Light... and Atreus' Clouds will make you RICH if you can handle the lag.

Get your Disco in on the action remotely if you still have it. Every little bit helps... no immobile assets is my philosophy.

Last edited by EverythingXen on Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:00 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

only 25K? I presume you must be in a rather poorly equipped ship?

Once you get a fully equiped Argon SP ship, you should be making about 40-45K per trip if you find a nice trading opportunity to exploit.

Thats what I spent all my money on at first, I didnt mess around with satelites, I just kept upgrading my cargo hold and speed and getting trade friendly upgrades.

I havent got a jump drive yet, although they do sound mighty sweet.

Without the jump drive, I managed to make about 1Mil in roughly six hours with my single SP flying around.

I am sure Xen will laugh at my measly endeavours, but I was quite proud
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:01 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

25k a trip! How? Buy energy cells at 10, sell at around 20-22 for a profit of roughly 10each, current cargo hold of near 600 = 6,000 at most per run. This is what had me asking in the first place for a list of goods prices. I don't know a good deal when I see it. I am looking for cargo that will net 50 or so per unit of cargo hold taken up. I *feel* that this is possible, but I do not have the data to do so!

Also, I assuming that the best buy/sell software is only available from the Teladi (sp??). I have not found out where they live yet, so I have not bought it!!

Second question, I have tried to set up remote trading, but with out a home base it does not appear possible. When I try to assign a home base there are no available options ... of course I don't own any factories or bases this early in the game.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:41 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

25,000 a trip is probably too high an estimate for an average trip... offloading 200 units of sillicon for a price difference of 500 credits a unit is 100,000 credits... or more. But it's hard to find such ideal situations and sillicon is consumed slowly by factories.

Only the Teladi have best buy/cell... head east, then north until you can't anymore, then east again and you'll be in Ceo Buckzoid.

It's actually best to explore the areas around Argon Prime ASAP to maximize trade opportunities. Use your disco and jet about to map the northwest corner of the galaxy.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:06 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I only ever buy for 9 and sell for 22. And remember, just because you made money selling the Cells, doesnt mean you can fly back to the SPP with an empty hold. Make sure you pick something up to sell on the way back too, doesnt matter how much profit you make, as long as its something.

Never fly empty!
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:14 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

You'd be surprised how effective it is just exploring the universe (perhaps finding one of the factory tour BBS missions) and getting a feel for the sectors. For example, The Wall has an excess of SPPs, so energy is cheap. Atreus Clouds has the highest factory density in X2, so energy is always needed - and there's a lot of BoGas facts, so that's cheap there. It won't take long to get a feel for it but understand that high-tech finished goods will always have low demand, so buy them with extreme care!
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:47 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next