Wizardry 8: Free Version On PC Games Cover DVD
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Wizardry 8: Free Version On PC Games Cover DVD

Thanks again to Andy from <a href="http://www.yiya.de" target="_blank">YiYa.de</a>; this time for pointing out that the cover DVD of the latest issue of German print mag <a href="http://www.pcgames.de" target="_blank">PC Games</a> has the full version of 'Wizardry VIII' (presumably the English version since a German version was never officially released; there is a fan-made German language patch though).
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:57 pm
Vindicator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It's sad to see such a great game, only 3 years old, that is deemed so worthless that it has to be given away.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:14 pm

Where can I get (or download) my copy!? I love this game!
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:38 pm

The_Lurker#07

Aye, better for Sir Tech to go down in glory than ruin Wizardry like 3DO did Might and Magic. (Not like they would have.)
3DO went down in flames and I am glad. Now if only EA would..

I think it is sickening that people want for free what I paid 50 bucks for as well. If the game had sold better, then we might have seen another Wizardry. You can bet they probably didn't make a dime from PC Gamer. This may well be an example on how piracy, legal or not, and high speed internet ruins gaming as we know it. I think we have seen some examples of that since the current trend in R.P.G's seems to be pay per play MMORPG's. 2004 was not a good year for R.P.G's.

After the EB games fiasco with Wizardry, I quit buying games from them. They could have made the game more available upon release.

As an afterthought, I ran a search to see if the game is still available to buy, and it is. http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Wizardry_8
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:07 pm

Duran
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Good job for the germans : Wizardry 8 was a topgame in my book.
I am from holland and just recently bought a copy (for only 5 dollars) of this game.
I was very surprised : the graphics were really outdated, but the story & gameplay was top of the bill !.
I hope we will ever see a Wizardry 9 (Don't know if Sirtech still exists).
For now, I am looking forward to Dungeon Lords (The new game of D.W. Bradley, who first invented Wizardry).
So keep your eyes out for Dungeon Lords, it might be just what you are looking for.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:14 pm

There is nothing bad about bundling old games with newspapers (and in term of game industry, Wizardy 8 is old). People who wanted to buy it already did it (as I did - Wizardry 8 was the best game I have played).
SirTech is gone for quite some time - not because of this but because of long time spent to develop the game and mainly because masses want simple, well looking stupid action games (unfortunately - at the moment I do not see any game I could look for).

Wizardry 9 - it will never happen. Read above (SirTech's gone and general public wanting stupid action games).

D. W. Bradley's Dungeon Lords: Nothing to look for. It will be an action RPG. Forget Wizardry. D.W.Bradley tries not very succesfully to adapt to changed times (ignoring what he was the best in). The first attempt were Wizards and Warriors (he tried to make a real time, multiplayer Wizardry - multiplayer was not finished in the end because of distributor, but it left negative impact on the architecture of the game). Now he goes step forward with Dungeon Lords, making directly an action RPG.

Mirek
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:01 pm

I loved Wizardry 8

Sad to see that no one will be making a Wizardry 9. I played the game two times straight from beginning to end and many other times to see what combinations of characters I could come up with. As soon as the game was released I jumped on it no matter how much it cost. I'm willing to pay for a really good game. I was also a huge fan of Wizardry 7. Hopefully someone will come out with a game similiar to the Wizardry series. My first post
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:36 pm

I really miss Sir Tech. Wizardry VIII was a lot of fun, refreshingly old-school, even though I never finished it (too time consuming! which is surprising, but I enjoyed every minute).
Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:05 am

Wolfie_

Duran wrote:

"D.W. Bradley, who first invented Wizardry"

Not correct, DWB was only involved with Wizardry 5, 6 and 7.

-----
Visit http://wiz8.web1000.com/ for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcasters stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can't learn the spell.
Mirror site http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie
Post Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:34 pm