Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - low-end walkthrough video
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - low-end walkthrough video

A German site called <a href="http://www.justgamers.de/?page=news&news_id=42240" target="_blank">JustGamers.de</a> has posted an Oblivion video using a close-to-minimum-spec PC (Athlon XP 2200, 1Gb RAM, 9800Pro) - there's a mirror at <a href="http://files.filefront.com/Oblivion_Walkthroughwmv/;4892249;;/fileinfo.html" target="_blank">Filefront</a>. The language is German (naturally) and the audio is terrible but the 5 mins might give some idea of the performance on min-spec machines. Bear in mind we don't know the settings played at and whether the framerate could be improved with better choices, nor how badly the video compression might be affecting the quality. <br> <br>Some might also consider the content spoiler-light.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:06 am
Roi Danton
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Uh, I don't wanna play it this way. Looks really slow.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:07 am
gympion
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yeah, it looks pretty unplayable... but if thats what the graphics look like with everything turned down then wow! I'm sure you could turn the graphics down a LOT lower than they are shown to get a better frame rate. Considering the spec of that computer, i'm actually quite surprised that it runs as well as it does. Cool vid anyway... only a few more days to go!
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:12 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Two things to mention:

It was played on a Athlon 2200+ with 1GB RAM and a 6800 card. Everything was MAXED (well, obviously no 3.0 shaders, since the card can't do it). Most of the stutter is based on the fact that FRAPS (they used it to record the video) put a heavy additional load on the computer.

What really made me go yuck is the texture for terrain further away. That looks bad, really bad.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:29 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I thought they were saying Oblivion had state-of-the-art graphics.

When I look at this, I would say something like the opposite:
http://www.justgamers.de/kmx/modul_cms/uploads/article/new/pc/Vergleich-5.jpg

Not only does it look awful, but the world also looks empty. I don't know whether or not this is a gold version or some beta, but lands like this is going to be very boring to roam around in the wild.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:11 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Almost, it was a Radeon 9800 Pro.

They were surprised they got tolerable frame rates on such a PC.

Itīs also mentioned that the filming process had a negative effect on the frame rate.

A few options had to be turned off for obvious reasons or because they caused display errors (facial shadows).
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:14 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Two things to mention:

It was played on a Athlon 2200+ with 1GB RAM and a 6800 card. Everything was MAXED (well, obviously no 3.0 shaders, since the card can't do it). Most of the stutter is based on the fact that FRAPS (they used it to record the video) put a heavy additional load on the computer.

What really made me go yuck is the texture for terrain further away. That looks bad, really bad.

Yes, in the far distance on the mountains the blurry textures are no problem, but in the middleground they look terrible, as if they set the threshold for the lowres version far too close, or use terrible quality mipmaps. I hope this is a setting - if not someone will hopefully make a texture pack soon. But visually, this is clearly the most serious shortcoming I have seen thus far. It's really rather glaring, especially in a game like this that strives for beautiful vistas.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:56 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Almost, it was a Radeon 9800 Pro.

They were surprised they got tolerable frame rates on such a PC.

Itīs also mentioned that the filming process had a negative effect on the frame rate.

A few options had to be turned off for obvious reasons or because they caused display errors (facial shadows).

Tolerable frame rates?? That appears to be aprox 1 frame per second in that video. And by the way, they are not using FRAPS in that demo.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:03 am

JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Damn, wasn't logged in for that post.
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:25 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

This is going to be like Morrowind was at release all over again.

Using my x850XT, I have every expectation that I'll wander around at 18FPS outside and during outdoor combat drop to 6FPS.

Then I'll go in a dungeon and get 40FPS and 30FPS for combat.

Just call me Confucius. Won't stop me from buying it. Hey I can run Morrowind just dandy now LOL!
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:57 pm