Cost of living in scandinavian countries
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
netloss
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Cost of living in scandinavian countries

This one's really off topic but I've been thinking about it for awhile. There seem to be lots of Europeans on these boards, so maybe someone could inform me.

Some friends of mine are going to rent a house - actually more of a fishing shack - in Norway for a week or so. North of the arctic circle, so it'll be cold, and it's in a small village. It's not even in the high season. You'd think that it would be dirt cheap, but not so; by US standards it is quite expensive (and yes I am aware of the weak dollar, it seems expensive regardless).

From what I've heard, food is expensive there too (even fast food).

So unless I'm mistaken, the situation is this: Very high property costs and rent, very high food costs, and very high costs for incidentals (i.e. everything else). Add on a big tax burden, and I'm trying to figure out how a typical Norwegeian gets by.

If anyone has any insight into how this "works", please let me know! I'm wondering if there's something I'm not factoring in.
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:50 am
Provok
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well, from what I know, Oslo is the most expensive capital in the world. People live pretty damn good there so I'm guessing they have really high salaries. And regarding the very high property costs, that small village may be a known place for vacations and get-away trips.

To me, the answer is quite simple, so probably I misunderstood the question. I am a European myself, but not from Norway, more like 1300 km south
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:38 pm