Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I was offered the position of Guard; but I was thinking.....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Thorus offered me the post of Guard with all the perks and responsibities that go with it. I was just wondering if if was worth it. I am doing some pretty serious ass kicking with my Sword of Fear with 42 damage; is the two handed weapon skill that hot, or use the massive skill points required to master the skill better off going to strength. I haven't even seen a two-handed weapon yet. How about passing on the guard job and apting for a little magic. Decisions, Decisions.

Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 1:21 am
Chewriter
Village Leader
Village Leader

That is a tough decision. Two-handeds are longer and much more destructive, but slower. The lack of speed is especially annoying against Orc warriors. You can only apply so many skill points toward strength (100), though potions and the like can take you passed that (That's why it's better to leave those types of potions in the inventory until you've applied your max skill points).

I haven't done magic yet, I mean REALLY invested in magic. Do you like mages and casting spells or are you a warrior type?

Don't forget the bow and crossbow!

Come to think of it, what is the highest 1h weapon as far as damage goes? Anybody know?
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 1:32 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I don't know of better one-handed swords than my Sword of Fear with 42 damage; but there probably are some.
You would have to mention the crossbow. I forgot about that.
I have never played a mage before as I like up close and personal combat; but I don't think I like the guard philosphy that Thorus described, it sounded rather boring. In truth, I've already taken out one guard. (that was before the guard position was available).
Assuming that I could still hold on to the combat skills that I do have now if I became a fire mage, then I think fighter/mage wouldn't be to bad. Again, Decisions, Decisions.

Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:28 am

don't worry about magic yet. you can't use magic for a while, but instead you should first choose a camp, (you've chosen old i guess) and then to reach the top level of that camp. the "responsibilities" described dont exactly matter, either. By the way, if you are a chimpy whore, you can do this to get the best 1 handed sword:

owned by Scar, Gomez's high guard. He is a sniveling fool akin to many other guards.
85 damage is great! much better than any 2handers encountered for a while.
here's the chimpy whore part. You can simply knock out Scar and steal it! 70% of the time, the others in the room (all as$holes) dont give a damn. You should use at least a 55 damage weapon (ask if you want me to tell you how to find that). If you are without patience, you can attack him, get knocked out, then Scar will eat all his food. repeat this (about 4 times) until the sword is yours to cherish. It is creatively called "Scar's Sword". The most damaging 2 hander in the game is Gomez's sword at 110 damage. He kills you if you lose, so wait until you are in ch 4 to get your revenge on him (you'll see)...
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:48 am

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Two handed weapons are the way to go. They are barely slower than a one handed weapon and far more destructive.

You can get 2-3 hits in on an orc before he lands his blow with a one handed weapon, you can also get 2 hits with a two handed weapon, only those 2 hits will nearly kill it, and in some cases kill it out right.

From my understanding becoming a mage is extremely difficult if you have not planned on it ahead of time (like saving 70 or so skill points). You have to kind of want the mage status from the very beginning and save those points big time.

The most powerful one handed weapon does 85 damage.

The most powerful two handed weapon does 120.

Considering it takes 2-3 hits to kill an opponent that is a 70-105 point damage increase on the two handed weapons.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:50 am
Chewriter
Village Leader
Village Leader

I DO like the 2h weapons. I mean, come on, can there be anything as cool as Uriziel? Or Barbarian's fist? They feel slower than 1h; but as I think about it, by the time I'm a master at 2h weapons, I'm typically fighting more than one enemy at a time. So I guess It's probably a perspective thing more than anything else

I'm a little confused about Mages, warriors and the like. I usually have all the skills of the warrior/ranger class. That being said, I was once made a magician of water, got a robe and everything. From that point I invested skill points in the circles of magic. I still had all the warrior's attributes. So is there really such a dividing line between all these classes? Isn't it all just a mix to get you through? Unless of course you want to be strictly a mage or warrior or ranger and try to make it as a character limited to a particular skill. If that's so then I guess I've been violating RPG rules and should be summarily thumped!
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:25 am