Usergroups
Difference between pve and pvp
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Yea, you'd think if anyone would know why, a rocket scientist would eh?
*shrugs*
Post Wed May 14, 2003 12:44 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

When I play, I want my PvP OPTIONAL. Almost without exception.

I won't deny that PvP is more exciting than PvE. When I hear the 'gone hostile' sound in Diablo 2, my heart races a little as I desperately start scanning the map and waiting to click-spam and pray for the best. Defeating a powerful players is a thrill.

In Anarchy Online, it was the same way. I was happy PvE, but when I wandered into a low/no suppression zone and the threat of death became 'real', I always got a smile on my face.

So if I like it so much, why do I want it optional? Because sometimes I don't FEEL like being ambushed and blown to pieces when I'm traveling. I have to be in the right mood for PvP ("'Hulk smash' my green butt... I'm going to KILL someone!") and if I'm NOT in the mood then endlessly staring at a bind point and wondering if it's worth trying to retrieve my stuff/waiting for it to respawn SUCKS.

And yes, PvP always comes down to magic... in AO I was usually dead before I could get a lock on a mage who threw his three biggests nukes in 2 seconds.

That's where the 'grief' factor comes in. People claim to want equality... they scream nerf and balance. What they mean most times is they want their class to be the one that dominates... but sometimes there is a point to the ranting. People don't get it... ranged weapon are always better than melee weapons. I've never bitched about a sniper taking my head off in a FPS or an Amazon or Sorceress turning me to chunky bits in D2.

But in a game designed around PvP only these types of class HAVE to be balanced against everyone else, otherwise why play anything else? But if you balance a ranged class against a melee class, invariably it makes the melee class the better choice.

I like MMORPG with a well thought out, well implemented PvP. Star Wars galaxies looks to be exactly what I want... PvE as much as I want without fear of being chunkied by some griefer, with the option to 'Go Overt' if I feel the need for the adrenaline rush of PvP.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 14, 2003 2:58 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I agree with stick-figure boy. But I also agree that PvP is fun because it's dangerous. If a game such as DAoC where open PvP, I'd be devoriced.

Example:
Wife: Honey, come open this jar.
Me: Woman, you crazy? I can't leave my guy sitting here
unattended.
Wife: Get off that stupid game and come help me.
Me: I can't, give me a minute and let me get to a safe
spot. I don't want to die and lose everything.
Wife: IT'S A GAME, COME HELP ME IN THE REAL WORLD.
Me: Sec!
Wife: 5...4...3...2...1. (Sound of door slaming, sound of
car leaving driveway.)
Me: (in a Braveheart sort of voice) FREEEDOOOMMM....
Hehe, ok I just want a game with a balance of both...

(maybe she'll take the dog too?)
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:42 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

PvE Sucks and PvP rules. simple as that.

If I want to play a game where all I can do is fight retarded AI drones that just walk straight at me and attack until dead then I would go play Doom.

Most people who complain about PvP seem to miss a MAJOR point. MMORPG are Role Playing Games. Therefore I should be free to play the Role I desire. If I want to be evil and go kill all the innocent people then I should be allowed to try.

It makes me sick to hear all the whining babies complaining about "Greifers" or whatever else ridiculous word they come up with to describe players that are simply better at the game than they are.

The ONLY MMORPG I ever liked was UO. As soon as they ruined that by destroying the PK aspect, I just stopped playing. Sure other MMORPG's came out with better graphics, but nothing lets me roleplay an evil guy.

So as far as I'm concerned, everyone can enjoy their little MMORPG tea parties and just slaughter mindless retarded drones until the end of time.

Count me out...
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:11 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

I find that most people who claim to be 'roleplaying' are just hiding behind that title to act like assholes to their fellow gamers. And that the majority of them wouldnt know how to play the role of anything. What they are doing is 'roleplaying' themselves, assholes that like to ruin other's fun. Especially when they claim to roleplay evil guys that attack weaker/non-participating players. If you're going to be a griefer, then be a man about it and say "yes, Im an asshole that likes to grief people." I have way more respect for that person than the ones that 'roleplay' but when you actually do talk to them (usuaully after they've killed another unwilling participant) they cant even put a sentence together. "iNst3d tehY wiLL taLK tU u li3k thi$, Sh0\/\/i|\|g oFF theiR l33t d00dsp@3k sKiLLz"
A person who was really trying to roleplay would go PK and go after skilled PKers and claim its vigilante justice. The one's who roleplay 'evil' are usually losers who dont have true PK skills so instead they lay in wait for a noob to come by.
So in closing, No, you're veil of "Oh Im not a griefer, Im roleplaying evil" is straight garbage to anyone who's played MMOGs long enough
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:48 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Shrapnel
I find that most people who claim to be 'roleplaying' are just hiding behind that title to act like assholes to their fellow gamers.

So your saying I cant roleplay evil because its not nice enough? WTF? Are you a moron?

quote:
Especially when they claim to roleplay evil guys that attack weaker/non-participating players.

You dont even know me little man, so dont try to judge me. I PK'd anyone who happened to walk past. And after a while news got around that we were killing poeple so then people like you turned up. The supposed "Real skilled PK's" who go after us like vigilantes. You know what happened to them? They turned up outnumbering us 5 to 1 and we still wipe the floor with them. Yeah real skilled. Thats what I call a REAL PK alright. Moron...

quote:
If you're going to be a griefer, then be a man about it and say "yes, Im an asshole that likes to grief people." I have way more respect for that person than the ones that 'roleplay' but when you actually do talk to them (usuaully after they've killed another unwilling participant) they cant even put a sentence together. "iNst3d tehY wiLL taLK tU u li3k thi$, Sh0\/\/i|\|g oFF theiR l33t d00dsp@3k sKiLLz"

As I said, "Greifer" doesnt exist. Its just a word little babies like you made up to call us because you want to cry that we are better at the game than you are. Poor little baby.

I dont want the respect of whiney babies. Thank you very much. I would much rather have your fear

And wtf is that stuff at the end? I have never seen anyone that talks like that. The fact that you are obviously fluent in it speaks for itself realy.

quote:
A person who was really trying to roleplay would go PK and go after skilled PKers and claim its vigilante justice. The one's who roleplay 'evil' are usually losers who dont have true PK skills so instead they lay in wait for a noob to come by.

Er No. That would be a person roleplaying a vigilante (Anti-PK). I said I roleplay evil people. Neither I, nor any of my friends specificaly hunted noobs. What fun is that? I may as well just fight the retarted monsters you are so keen on.

What right do you have to tell me how to play the game? I can kill whoever and whatever I want. You can do exactly the same to me. Freedom of choice myfriend.

quote:
So in closing, No, you're veil of "Oh Im not a griefer, Im roleplaying evil" is straight garbage to anyone who's played MMOGs long enough

"Anyone who played MMOGS long enough" Obviously means long enough to become infected by your retarded propaganda. I have been playing MMORPG's since they were just text games in mainframes, probably longer than you have been playing games at all.

As I said. You guys already one the battle, cuz UO and every other MMORPG is now officialy a peice of crap where you just go to have tea parties.

Note to Readers: As you can probably tell, I feel quite passionately about this subject. I apologize if my language or attitude is overly offensive but being called a Greifer and an Asshole tends to get me a little riled up.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:15 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
It makes me sick to hear all the whining babies complaining about "Greifers" or whatever else ridiculous word they come up with to describe players that are simply better at the game than they are.

I could say the same about people who PK just for the fun factor. And besides, how does it makes you better at a game if you are level a 50 killing a player that's 20 levels below you? Because you that that is what griefing is, don't you? Oh, and if you say you're not one of them, then why say that we are babies when we complain about them? Those who complain usually have a legitimate right to do so in most games. Unless the game is full PvP (as in Shadowbane for example) where you'd just be clueless to expect not being PKed by everyone else.

I personally enjoy PvP at some level. But I choose my prey. There's no satisfaction for me in killing someone that's 20 levels weaker. And when I come accross people who do, it makes me very sad because they are the ones killing *your* experience, not the ones who complain. IF they would be mature enough to choose their challenge, then we wouldn't be having this discussion today.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:18 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
I could say the same about people who PK just for the fun factor.

Yes you could.

quote:
besides, how does it makes you better at a game if you are level a 50 killing a player that's 20 levels below you? Because you that that is what griefing is, don't you?

Yes that is what you would call "Griefing"; but check my previous post, I never did that.

I admit there ARE PK's who just hunt noobs, but I didnt. Sure if you were a noob that happened to come by where we were hunting then most of the time you wouldnt get out alive. But we didnt specifically hunt them. Most of the time we hunted poeple in the dungeons etc. Noobs dont go in there, and if they do, they usualy die by the creatures before they get anywhere near us.

quote:
Oh, and if you say you're not one of them, then why say that we are babies when we complain about them? Those who complain usually have a legitimate right to do so in most games. Unless the game is full PvP (as in Shadowbane for example) where you'd just be clueless to expect not being PKed by everyone else.

First of all. UO WAS Full PvP.

You are babies because you are playing a game where it quite clearly states PvP is a part of the game world and all you ever do is whine and moan when someone kills you. I got killed lots of times when I first started, and sure I didnt like it, who would.

But its all part of the game world. It makes it so much more interesting if I have to go out and worry about something with more intelligence than a maggot attacking me. I have played almost all the other MMORPG's out there, and they are all VERY VERY VERY boring for one simple reason. There is no intelligent danger.

quote:
I personally enjoy PvP at some level. But I choose my prey. There's no satisfaction for me in killing someone that's 20 levels weaker. And when I come accross people who do, it makes me very sad because they are the ones killing *your* experience, not the ones who complain. IF they would be mature enough to choose their challenge, then we wouldn't be having this discussion today.

I agree. Which is why I dont hunt noobs.

Shrapnel: That was so much more civilized. See what happens when you dont use words like "Asshole"?
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:29 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

I saw I got a post, and looks like you did a lot of cutting and pasting...maybe one day I'll read it, but from a quick peruse it looks like my initial perception was correct. You *are* quite the lil (edited for sesitive readers). Have a good weekend.

*edit*
Ekim - I love these boards for their civility, which is why I can spot a loser/trouble maker like whatever this poster's name is. He's coming here to rattle cages. His points come across as subtle as a harley davidson on a sunday morning, its clear from his 1st post that he has no regards for anyones opinions or views but his own. This type of person shows no respect for any of the visitors to this site, hence will get none from me, not even to help him flame his little troll post.
I really didnt read the post, but he sounds just like all the other pre-teen d00dz in MMOGS: "My daddy pays for my account with his hard earned money, therefore I have a *RIGHT* to be a complete loser" I've seen it for years, the sad thing is, technically he's right. (And dood if you are over 15 you're an even sadder case) Once the feee is paid for the month, you *are* free to do whatever you want. But does that make it right? Hardly.

And uh, thats that. Whatever the loser's name is again, Im sure he'll respond to this with a lot more cut and pastes (Actually I wish he would just go to another flame-board where all the other clearasil-using/problem with authority figures/rebel without a MFin clue go to flames each other and be k3wL.) And I'll get another laugh out of it then. But for now Im going into SWG. Sorry if I offended anyone but the "I have a right to be a jack-off with daddy's money" l0z3r d00d.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:40 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

This discussion is turning into a good example of PvP... I'm dodging out guys... no need to be uncivilized, and there is no need to point fingers at anyone. When someone doesn't seem to be worth your time in answering, you shouldn't post attacks and call them names, you should just bow out and mind something else.. Which is what I'll do right now!
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:04 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Shrapnel:

Please explain to me why I am such a loser and yet while I post valid counter points, you post nothing but ignorant insults and slurs?

Apparently ANYONE who doesnt agree with your oppinion is a loser and has no right to express their oppinion. Sorry but people are individuals. You are going to have a very problematic life if you cant deal with people being different than you.

You have only been here two months longer than me, so surely I would either be banned or a celebrity by now if I am asbad as you make out.

P.S. Its nice to see you copying my little message at the end, but stolen manners are quite transparent.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:46 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

No reply? What a surprise.

Thank you for your *Constructive* comments.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:42 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Chill down guys. Keep the personal wars in private mail.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:10 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Trust me, I would rather not have an argument at all. But I guess I am just not allowed to have an oppinion thats radically different than the majority.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:09 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

<censored, warning given to the user>
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:48 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next