Deus Ex: Invisible War GDC Booth Report @ PC.IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Deus Ex: Invisible War GDC Booth Report @ PC.IGN

PC.IGN have a report that briefly touches on the games Eidos had on show at the German GDC. Here's the bit on Deus Ex 2: Invisible War:<blockquote><em>Deus Ex -- and other titles that take a while to get into -- aren't exactly the best games to be put in front of action hungry gaming expo visitors because of the high learning curves. Many players walked away confused, thinking "Deus Ex" must stand for "first-person item pick-up and talking game." Those that stuck with the game a bit longer got a glimpse of that patented Deus Ex magic, but the rough port of the Xbox version (which at its current state looks technically dated, even if you ignore its sub par framerate) kept the gaming display mostly empty. Hopefully Ion Storm's anticipated sequel will undergo extensive tweaking before it ships in early 2004.</em></blockquote>Here's the <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/435/435113p1.html?fromint=1" target="_blank">link</a>.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:34 pm
Dinzy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This seems to imply that the game is indeed coming out next year. I have no problem with that due to the sheer ammount of RPGs due to be released this fall. I am a bit concerned by the phrase:
quote:
rough port of the Xbox version

What is that supposed to mean? I thought both versions were being developed in parallel. Are they, or are PC gamers going to get a console port?!!

Oh it appears that they are referring to the Xbox version so the wording is just confusing.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:41 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Dinzy
quote:
rough port of the Xbox version

What is that supposed to mean? I thought both versions were being developed in parallel. Are they, or are PC gamers going to get a console port?!!

Exactly what I was wondering, or fearing. "port of the Xbox version"?! Even if they did mean (port for) "the XBox version", my dislike for this console has not diminished. It does more harm for PC games than good in my opinion...
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:22 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Maybe you guys read too much into that statements. First time i read it i never consider the statements refer to anything else except the rough port of Xbox version itself.

And now you guys mention it i got confused too... It's nice piece of ambiguity...
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:05 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Remus

Maybe you guys read too much into that statements. First time i read it i never consider the statements refer to anything else except the rough port of Xbox version itself.

And now you guys mention it i got confused too... It's nice piece of ambiguity...

What I took it to mean is that they played a PC version of the game which was ported from their xbox version. They go on to say that the Xbox version (which apparetnly they *also* had a look at), has a choppy framerate.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:15 pm

I'm pretty sure they're developing the PC and Xbox version simultaneously and that as far as content is concerned, they will be identical.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:05 pm

Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I'm pretty sure they're developing the PC and Xbox version simultaneously and that as far as content is concerned, they will be identical.

It's not the content I'm worried about, but the user interface. Console games are made for gamepads, and menu structures or even entire gameplay mechanics are developed with that in mind. On a PC, however, the standard input method for First-Person games is Mouse+Keyboard, which allows for a very different interface. Both controls have advantages and disadvantages, like mouse+keyboard is probably more precise, whereas a gamepad can have more easily reachable buttons and allows for rather relaxed gaming.

Now my point is, console ports usually have a relatively bad UI from a PC user's point of view, among other irritating limitations. Also, games that are supposed to be playable on a console are most likely designed for it, while neglecting the advantages (or disadvantages) a PC might offer in regard to gameplay.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:53 pm
Xaximus

quote:
Originally posted by Arhu
It's not the content I'm worried about, but the user interface. Console games are made for gamepads, and menu structures or even entire gameplay mechanics are developed with that in mind. On a PC, however, the standard input method for First-Person games is Mouse+Keyboard, which allows for a very different interface. Both controls have advantages and disadvantages, like mouse+keyboard is probably more precise, whereas a gamepad can have more easily reachable buttons and allows for rather relaxed gaming.

Now my point is, console ports usually have a relatively bad UI from a PC user's point of view, among other irritating limitations. Also, games that are supposed to be playable on a console are most likely designed for it, while neglecting the advantages (or disadvantages) a PC might offer in regard to gameplay.

Well since the Xbox version isn't a port of the PC version, you needn't worry that the Xbox version's interface will be crippled. I've read enough Deus Ex: Invisible War previews to be satisfied that they've put plenty of thought into the design of the interface for both platforms. But as a PC-only gamer, I've never thought the idea of playing an FPS with a gamepad to be particularly enjoyable, but my console FPS-playing experience is limited to trying to play Goldeneye on the N64.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:29 pm

Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Xaximus
Well since the Xbox version isn't a port of the PC version, you needn't worry that the Xbox version's interface will be crippled.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't care about the XBox version, as I'm a PC gamer myself. I simply hope that the PC version won't suffer from the parallel development of the XBox version, which is, in my theory, not entirely possible by design.
Question remaining is whether or not they are really developing both versions in parallel. If the XBox version will come out first, I'm worried. If they will both be released at the same time, or better yet, they focused on the PC version during development, and/or it will come out first, I'm optimistic. If what you said is true, and they did indeed put thought into both versions, I'm... ok with that.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:52 pm