Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I have to Admit, Gothic is Just Too Hard for Me

Here is my guy's stats.
- Level 6
- 15 LP's banked
- 35 Str
- Level 1 Single Hander
- Miner Pants (15% weapon protection, 5% fire)
- Merc mace 25 Damage.

I'm in the old camp and Diego is pretty happy with me but I can't do the Arena mission. I just can't beat this Kirby guy (I think that is his name). I've taken out a few people already, including a rogue in the mercinary camp but the two guys who take me down consistently are "Lefty" and this arena guy.

First off, I can't even seem to draw the damn sword fast enough. They always get the jump. If they hit first I'm toast. If I block successfully and counter I've only got a few swings in and then its "BAM BAM BAM!" and I'm down. Over, and over and over and over and over again.

I cannot believe how stingy this game is for LP's. I've got 14 banked and I need 20 for the next meesly 5% melee skill? 2 levels for 5% increments?

WTF???

Honestly I though Gothic 2 was hard enough. This is over the top.

Somebody help. Some merc offered to train my Athletics. Will that help??? Never heard of the skill!

Thanks,
- Desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:21 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Hehehehehe, you don't have to win in the arena to get Scatty's approval. Kirgo is gonna kick ure azz until much much later in the game. Just drop your ore on the ground, and fight. Talk to Scatty to get is approval....

I have no idea why you are fighting Lefty.......really....I have no idea why.

At this stage in the game you are looking to do easy quests that involve little if any fighting. Your main playing should be fetching this, going here, talking to everyone, doing that..........not trying to bitchslap everything you see. You will gain experience very quickly without bleeding heavily. Clear the quests you can do easily. If it is too tough, wait until you are stronger/better and come back and try again. Just because a quest is given, does'nt mean you can do it.

You are getting to the point you can do a little hunting without bleeding too much.....and yes you WILL bleed, and if you mess with Shadow beasts, Bloodhounds, large groups of black goblins and a few others you WILL die. Stick to scavengers, bloodflies, wolves....NOT orc dogs, normal goblins, molerats, maybe lurkers, and possibly lizards....but NOT fire lizards.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:17 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Thanks for the suggestions.

I fought the tougher merc and lost but earned Scatty's approval anyway. The big holdback for my progress was the arena quest.

Once I had a 33 damage sword, shadow armor and level 2 one hander the less tough Shadow opponent went down.

I also just took out Bullit and got the "Sword of Fear" (42 Damage) along with Heavy Shadow armor.

What a difference two hours makes! Now its 4:18AM I think I ought to get some sleep!

Thanks again for the reply. Great game. Much harder than G2 though!
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:34 am
GTaher
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I really envy you playing Gothic for the first time!
Compare it to experience of Oblivion first time and it shows you how bland the new TES Game is.
- All voice acting (how many years ago??)
- Real character development CHOICES (which camp? what path?)
- Better NPC AI (schedules, real sense of danger if you enter NPC houses)

Of course the world of gothic is also a million times better I remember how quickly that whole prisoner enviroment/storyline grabbed me.

I can't wait for Gothic 3 - I think all other 2006 RPGs will be pale in comparison. Probably pale in comparison to Gothic 1 and 2 also.
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:28 am
Provok
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: I have to Admit, Gothic is Just Too Hard for Me

If you really want NOT to fight Lefty just go to the last platform of the rice fields, go to the right of the road and climb up. He won't notice you.

As for the 5% melee skill, it is NOT that little. You just need 30 LP to get 100% in two stages/levels.

Athletics? Definitely no! You do not need it unless you want to get to an area in which you will find 3-4 transformation scrolls, 20 arrows and some ore. It is just useful to run a *little* faster and to lose fewer HP when falling from big heights. Nothing the right key won't do.

Gothic may be a bit harder than Gothic 2, it depends on the gamer. But the rewards are more satisfying.

Hope these help and good luck!
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:02 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I realized last night that the 5% initial skill level was very misleading. I'm at 100% now. I havent quite taken full advantage of the melee system, timing the spins and whatnot. I found out how to avoid Lefty just like you said. I was in the merc camp for a few hours.

In regards to Oblivion - I had finished Gothic 2 and a sizable chunk of Morrowind last year. I finished the main quest and a bunch of side quests in Oblivion last month. I don't really think one is better than the other. They are simply different. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses. The first time I went through the blight barrier in Morrowind I was astonished. Same thing with Oblivion's "elven" dungeons. Gothic 2 is my favorite game so far, but there were problems with the melee system (sticky targeting in mobs, can't hold your parry) and the dragons were... well... a joke. Everyone knows Oblivions weaknesses I won't bother listing them.

Anyway, love the world of Gothic and the Elderscrolls. One thing I love and hate though - the graphics war. Gothic 1's graphics are stunning even though they are low poly. You adjust to the poly's and the atmosphere and design make it convicing. I don't need 1000's of polys on an NPC if means 18 Frames per second. Consider the G1 rice field. At least 30 NPC's on screen, 70 frames per second! Damn!
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:07 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Install the fps patch and all the other gimmicks.
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:14 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Install the fps patch and all the other gimmicks.

Oblivion? Its a pig. reducing grass density and object distances are the only real tweaks. Everything else has no effect or makes things worse.

Don't trust tweakguides.
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:17 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This is the Gothic forum, not the the Oblivion forum.
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:54 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
This is the Gothic forum, not the the Oblivion forum.

Errrrrrr you mentioned it! I only mentioned it in context of the graphical impact compared to Gothic 1.

But yeah its way offtopic anyway.
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:20 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

What´s off topic if I mention the Gothic fps patch?
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:24 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
What´s off topic if I mention the Gothic fps patch?

I thought you were talking about Oblivion. Hard to imagine needing a fps patch when I'm at 70 fps already unless its intended for something else? What does it do?
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:26 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Unlock the frame. You currently have 23 fps.
Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:55 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

So I installed the kit and the FPS patch and ran from the launcher. Was there something else I was supposed to do? I don't see any difference.

I noticed a ton of missing textures in the forest however, could be unrelated though. I'm on the 1.08K patch.

Do people run in Win98 mode? I had to do that for Pool Of Radiance 2, wondering if I should try that here. Gothic crashes once every 2 hours or so. Not a huge deal but it crashes.
Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:00 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

So I made it to chapter 2. But first I delivered a can of whoop ass payback style.

First I bought the Shadow heavy armour. Then I "corrected" Bullit. The Sword of Fear. Nice. I had no idea he had such a weapon and I'm glad I decided to take him on. Armed with Fear clearly it was time to revisit some troublesome folks in the new camp.

I pummelled every single rogue without mercy or the slightest hesitation. Lefty got knocked down so many times I simply lost count. I kept swinging and took out his two friends and the Rice Lord. Then I slept in his bed. If he had a wife I would have had her too.

Everyone Rogue the camp felt the cold steel of Fear...

Then I went to the bar. The bouncers said I couldnt go in. I "corrected" those bastards. Not so tough without any inventory are you jackasses? Yeah I'm talking TO YOU!!!!!!!!

Then I visited that weed cave and murdered jacko and his buddies. Yeah, thats right! MURDER!!!! I watched their blood pool on the cold stone floor.

I guess my avatar has a mean streak

Oh yeah I LOVE Gothic. I forgot home much I loved Gothic 2 until I went on that little payback spree. Getting accepted into the Old Camp was very difficult. Resources like decent armour and weapons are extremely scarce until you get accepted.

Amazing game design - and I love how they reward you BIG TIME for getting accepted. Rightly so - it wasnt easy! Literally tripling your potency once you become a Shadow. Nice
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:02 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next