Usergroups
Gothic 3 only on PC?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

A console port would be fine indeed, because the game would reach a bigger and more diverse audience this way.
Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:20 am
Svetty
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Console ports can also screw otherwise good games. Amyone remember Deus Ex 2? Anyone waiting for Call of Cthulhu (with crappy HUD!)

The Devil's Advocate
Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:56 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
I am afraid that chances are that JoWooD will not make it alive to the day when Gothic 3 is released, they are in quite some troubles nowadays (and have been for a while now, but this is getting grimmer and grimmer, according to the news).

Which news? Did the situation change in the last week or two?

I´m not sure it´s a bad thing if JoWooD goes bankrupt, apart from people losing their job, of course.
Whatever rights JoWooD owns will be bought by somebody else.

Yes, but won't it delay the release of Gothic 3 even more ?

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
And personally, I think porting Gothic 3 to the Xbox would be a wise thing.

I'd agree to you, but will the Xbox be compatible with Gothic 3 at that time ?? (Won't it be outdated ?)
Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:41 am
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Svetty
Console ports can also screw otherwise good games. Amyone remember Deus Ex 2? Anyone waiting for Call of Cthulhu (with crappy HUD!)

Thats what I was talking about. Consoles ruin some games that could have been very good on PC. Like Deus Ex, they wanted more money with consoles but ended up ruining the game and getting less money than they could have had with only PC.

I dont know about XBOX 360 and the Playstation but they would make gothic one small box.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:35 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I just saw an article in the israeli game site, saying that the developers are considering an X-box version after the PC relase.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:45 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by cptmaxon
I just saw an article in the israeli game site, saying that the developers are considering an X-box version after the PC relase.

That move could only be good, if of course they manage to load gothic 3 full detail on an xbox 360, which is a bit doubtfull, with only 512 ram. Maybe they use an Oblivion technique, but that would mean change their code too much, so who knows what will come out and when
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:36 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by X-dANGEr

Yes, but won't it delay the release of Gothic 3 even more ?

Probably, but it would also give PB more time to polish the game.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:50 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well, i think PB should give the task of making a console port of G3 to another dev team having more experience with console ports, so PB can Focus more on there next big title...

...because i really don't care of the quality of the console port because i will most certainly only play the PC Version..
Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:52 am
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

I most definitely want a Xbox360 version of Gothic III, cause i simply hate PC gaming, i got to finish Gothic on PC, i bought Gothic II too, but i stopped playing after awhile...i got slowdowns and all that , i hate the keyboard controls, i dislike the fact that u have to sit behind a desk staring at a monitor screen, i MUCH rather play this game with a normal controller and on my beamer/projector (LCD) i know for sure if i buy GIII on PC i need well....lets say...i could throw my pc away and buy everything new, CPU, ram, graphics card..etc...that is gonna cost me soooooo much...i really like to see this game on the Xbox 360 and/or PS3.

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:55 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by bigkabuto
i know for sure if i buy GIII on PC i need well....lets say...i could throw my pc away and buy everything new, CPU, ram, graphics card..etc...that is gonna cost me soooooo much...i really like to see this game on the Xbox 360 and/or PS3.

So you think it is better to spend a similar amount of money on a restricted platform? And try not to forget that an xbox is simply a PC with less functionality. Trust me, i have played MANY cross platform games, and the PC version is ALWAYS the best. Faster cpu, more memory, better graphics.....and you can run other apps if you wish. If you feel the need to see it on your big screen LCD, that is simple to do with a PC......but I have a huge monitor

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:41 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Personally I don't care about consoles, they're not a serious 'tool' in my eyes. They're limited with just one functionality and I don't want such limits. Not to mention that some PC games, which unfortunately were ports from console ones or ported to console games, suffered from this and a good game was lost in the process. So as far as I care, let the console people do their stuff, but overall consoles ruin good PC stuff
Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:11 am
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
quote:
Originally posted by bigkabuto
i know for sure if i buy GIII on PC i need well....lets say...i could throw my pc away and buy everything new, CPU, ram, graphics card..etc...that is gonna cost me soooooo much...i really like to see this game on the Xbox 360 and/or PS3.

So you think it is better to spend a similar amount of money on a restricted platform? And try not to forget that an xbox is simply a PC with less functionality. Trust me, i have played MANY cross platform games, and the PC version is ALWAYS the best. Faster cpu, more memory, better graphics.....and you can run other apps if you wish. If you feel the need to see it on your big screen LCD, that is simple to do with a PC......but I have a huge monitor

With all due respect, but i disagree 100% with that

Similar amount of money? Not really, let's say i wanted the best Geforce available, that thing alone is almost a Xbox360 (special edition).
Then you got more things that u need to buy....RAM, Mainboard,Case,Processor/CPU...well...i mean come on...by the time i have a killer PC
i can have a Xbox360 with several games.

Trust me , i am sick and tired of PC's. I remember when Gothic came out, totally crazy about that game, my pc by that time was a AMD Athlon 1ghz, with 512 MB RAM, a Geforce 2 Pro etc....but the game ran quite choppy , unless i downgraded lots of visual settings in the game...but hey c'mon, that's not what i want, i want the full experience. So i had to save money and eventually bought more RAM, but it barely helped ...that's crazy.
Whatever recently released game i tried at that time, games never really ran very well on my PC, and i kept buying better hardware, eventually i got a Geforce 3, but it still wasn't enough....and that is just ridiculous.

No really, rather give me a console with the games than playing games on my PC, and never knowing if a newly bought game will run at least decent...
with consoles no worries...in december i'm gonna get the new Xbox, and a racegame and Elder Scrolls:Oblivion, what i like alot is the simple fact that i dont have to worry about if the game will run 'decent' or if it will crash much, or if it will run at all....i insert that damn gamedisc and start playing.

That is my opinion on why i prefer console gaming...i don't care about that you can get more memory and a graphics card so games will run better, with consoles i never have to worry about that.

And really...i've played alot of Xbox games, the resolution , yeah...PC can always do better, and it might look more crisp and clear, but that's about it...the difference really isn't that big, plus i play my games with Progressive Scan on my projector, and good enough for me.

I give a big no to pc gaming....

Why i dislike PC gaming

The fact that you have to spent a sick amount of dough on hardware
and it 'might' still not run perfectly.

Keyboard and Mouse? Hell no. Always that damn "change the controls in the menu ' in every game, using the keyboard to walk or attack etc...i just dislike it all alot.

What i like about console gaming

You have the console for the price of the newest Geforce card (in this case, the console is Xbox360)

Never have to worry if a game is gonna run choppy, or crash or not run at all, you insert the gamedisc, wait some seconds, and start playing.

The controls, a joypad with every nessecary/important button close at hand....hell yes.

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:32 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

why would you buy the newest gefore or the newest radeon, I bought my radeon 9800 pro (which run even heavy duty games like dawn of war prefectly with all the graphic enabled), for about 200$, today it cost half and you can get the x800 which is only one step away from the x850 for 200$ why do you need more, why the best, in a year the best will be medicore, and it will cost cheaper so settle on the middle, and you can have a pc that can run everything
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:54 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah i know, i never went for the very best...i always bought a less-good card, like Geforce 3, like i said..i had great hardware IMO but still Gothic and lots of other games would just never run quite OK, my bought a very good Radeon awhile ago, he never ever wants an Radeon again cause the problems he's had with it is ridiculous, he bought it, installed the card, all the drivers and anything that was needed but weird enough,..games like Raven Shield would run more horrible than with my older Geforce 2, so he tried out other Radeons and it kept happening..he gave up on Radeon and has Geforce 4 or 5....

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:15 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

@ Bigkabuto:

A lot of what your saying is true, but i get the feeling you dont know exactly what your doing. I know many people who think the same because they just throw money at their PC in ways that dont help. A good example is the two PC's I recently built for some friends, both of which are very good and cost well under $1000. They can easily run all current games at full settings perfectly.

To me, it doesnt matter how easy a console is to use because to be honest, most of the games are terrible. Endless remakes of Madden, Tekken, Ridge Racer etc etc etc. There are a few gems but they are few and far between.

I just love the games on my PC, and the massive amount of replay value I get from things that simply dont exist in the console world: Hacking, Mods, Level Editors etc.

Console gaming is great for the dumbed down gaming generation, but I want something substantial.

P.S. I do own all the current consoles, just so I can play the rare gems (Zelda, FF, DQ, etc)
Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:28 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next