Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Which is better: BG2 or Planescape Torment?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Which is better: BG2 or Planescape Torment?

Just started playing BG2: SOA and love it. Was wondering which is better thou, Planescape Torment or BG2: SOA?

In terms of:
gfx
gameplay
depth
longetivity
sound/voices/music etc
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:53 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Baldur's Gate 2! BY FAR!

Baldur's Gate 2 has better graphics (better 3d graphics and higher resolutions). Furthermore, the AI of BG is way smoother, specially in battle.

Now, the main thing between these two is that Baldur's Gate 2 is more combat oriented, with a fairly large amount of dialogue, while Planescape is more dialogue oriented, with a rather low amount of combat (compared to Baldur's Gate 2).
Baldur's Gate 2 is also larger (more NPCs and bigger gameworld) with overall more quests than Planescape. With the expansion (BG2: Throne of Bhaal), this increases quite much. Baldur's Gate 2 also gives you more variations in player character (more classes, better leveling system and more spells than you get in PS:T).
This of course makes Baldur's Gate 2 more replayable than PS:T. You have various paths to take in the main quest, side-quests depending on which NPC you have in your party and what class you play as. Plus, more areas to explore and quests to find than in PS:T.

The only things I'd say PS:T has over BG is the dialogue, the original world, and the philosophical undertone. And, although PS:T gives you various paths to take, the different quests don't add up to the amount of BG2's quests.

As for depth, I really don't know which one is deeper. Game playing or game-system wise, BG2: SOA is deeper, while Planescape is deeper on a more dialogue/story-wise level, although I generally liked the story of BG 2 more.

Just be sure to get the BG 2 expansion as well, since it makes BG 2 even better. Plus, of course, play BG 1.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:13 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wow, I actually agree with Hexy here.

BG2 is the better game for many of the reasons he mentioned. You see BG2 may have a fair bit of dialouge, but it never gets to the point where that aspect dominates the gameplay.

I have never understood all the adulations that PS:T receives. Yes, it does present a rather unique environment and interesting characters. But that is NOT enough to substitute for the lack of gameplay.

People have likened the PS:T expereince to reading a great novel. Well personally, I would never want to compare playing a game to reading a novel. And lets be honest, there are dozens of novels and short stories out there with more profound statments to say than PS:T's pseudo-philosophy.

If I see one more signature quote of Ravel's "What can change the nature of man..." I will go crazy. YES. I have a real chip on my shoulder about PS:T
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:45 pm
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

Reading a novel on your computer screen is miserable (as opposed to using a book). I do not recommend PST at all. I had to quit playing that game early on...
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:59 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Re: Which is better: BG2 or Planescape Torment?

quote:
Originally posted by oozle
Just started playing BG2: SOA and love it. Was wondering which is better thou, Planescape Torment or BG2: SOA?

In terms of:
gfx
gameplay
depth
longetivity
sound/voices/music etc

Now, that's what I call a hard question. No, really... I'd say P:T was a wonderful book for me, when BG was another little life. Both games are very fine.

In terms of graphics you may find P:T a bit dated by today's standards. Fixed 640x480. But spell effects are still amazing IMO interface in P:T is also not so convenient... But on other hand there was how many - 7-8 Infinity games with standard Faerun-type interface? So I'm just prejudiced.

Gameplay/depth. Again Faerun is my second home, and even in PnP I rarely seen the towers of Sigil, so for me (very biased again) BG had somewhat better gameplay, but P:T certainly had more depth... in any sense of the word. It's amazingly unusual setting with many surprises. And many, many, many very clever and talkitive NPCs

Playing time. BG: SoA + ToB. Probably the longest game ever. Absolutely the longest game ever together with BG1 + ToSC expansion. But P:T is not a walk in a park, too, you know. I played it for a very long time, but then in each conversation I felt like reading Plato.

Sound... Music is very good in both games. Sound acting is fine. Don't know. Sound's just ok by me.

My advice - go for both games. Go for all Infinity engine games. They worth it. 100% of it.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:37 pm
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

I loved BG2, but PS:T has my vote.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:08 pm
Managarm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Ale
I do not recommend PST at all. I had to quit playing that game early on...

That’s probably why you don’t recommend it. The further you get the more engaging the storyline gets. That, not liking dark stories, or not liking real storylines at all in their CRPGs, are the only reasons I can, personally, understand for not likeng Planescape: Torment.
As far as which is the better game, it is definitely BG2. However, while BG2 is number two on my favorite RPGs list, PS: Torment is number one. BG2 has by far the better graphics, gameplay, and especially longevity (BG2 is great the second time PS:T is not). So in the conventional sense PS:T isn‘t nearly the game that BG2 is.
However, the characters, ambiance, and storyline in PS:T are by far the greatest in any video game ever made, and I doubt that I will ever see a game in my lifetime that can match PS:T in those regards. Though for the ambiance I was definitely affected by the fact that I had read the novel ‘Pages of Pain’ by Troy Denning, which is a fantastic - although short - novel that took place in Sigil, before the game was released.
And I agree with stanthony, even if you have to buy from ebay to find it, play both!

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
If I see one more signature quote of Ravel's "What can change the nature of man..." I will go crazy.

You should never tell people how to make you go crazy... you have no idea how hard it was to fight off the urge to make that my signature.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:19 pm
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

BG2 has arguably better gameplay. Things like mage duels make it incredibly tactical and fun, whereas combat in P:T can get tedious. P:T does have better non-combat options, though.

Graphically, I think P:T is superior, despite the lower resolution, because the character graphics and animations are more lifelike and fluid. Its backdrops are very drab and depressing compared to BG2's colourful wilderness areas, but I suppose this is necessary for the setting.

In terms of story, characters and setting, P:T wins hands down. I commend Black Isle for refusing to "sell out" and set their game in yawn-inducing, cliché-ridden Middle-Ea ... er, sorry ... Forgotten Realms. It's a tragedy that P:T's financial failure has caused them to churn out half-arsed crap (IWD) ever since.

Overall, I'd give P:T my vote, but maybe that's because I like to support the underdog. Regardless, they're both very good games.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:57 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

I think Hexy covered it very well.

I love both games, but find them quite hard to compare since they are very different.

Edith sensemaking.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:05 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It's all a matter of taste - while PS:T still ranks pretty high on my personal favorite games list, the Baldur's Gate series marks the bottom. Boring combat, boring setting, uninteresting characters etc.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:30 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I wish I could compare better but I never played bg2. I played bg1 iwd2 and planescape torment.

The only one I liked was planescape torment. Its truly a work of art.

In terms of content BG2 with 2 expansions will take up more of your time certainly. It is also much more recent.

But if you like one I would try the other also. On the other hand, dont get IWD2 I dont think it has too much going for it in comparison.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:41 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
On the other hand, dont get IWD2 I dont think it has too much going for it in comparison.

I have to disagree. IWD2 is a fine game. It's shorter than IWD+HoW+Trials of Luremaster, and it may have somewhat "short" main story (well, just like IWD had), but it is a very fine D&D game. 3rd edition rules, good-old interface with little nice touches to it, great atmosphere, funny dialogues, tons of interesting fighting etc. It mostly has everything IWD had. It has better rules realisation IMO, too.

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:25 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Personally, I'm not a big fan of BG2. I find it repetitive, boring and generally unimaginative. There is nothing gripping about it. Nothing memorable. Just hordes of uninteresting oponents and slightly varied dungeon backgrounds that keep sending you on long fedex trips. No quest ever 'flows'. You're never surprised by an outcome. There are never any moral questions to answer or to wrestle with. Every dialog option has a clearly marked 'good', 'neutral', 'evil' answers. No variation. No immersion.

On the other hand, PS:T is a step closer to the true emotional freedom of the Fallout world. Your character is somewhat "seedy." You hang out with a floating skull that obviously has an agenda. Other group members aren't that much less colourful. From a seductress, to an alien automaton, to a ghost. The world you walk through is mesmerizing, breath-taking, memorable and a challange to explore.

If you're after mindless monster bashing with too many options to comprehend, then BG2 is for you. If you're looking for an entertaining gaming experience, then I'd suggest you go with PS:T.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:52 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
If you're after mindless monster bashing with too many options to comprehend, then BG2 is for you. If you're looking for an entertaining gaming experience, then I'd suggest you go with PS:T.

Woa-hoa... Slow down a bit. I should say that it is a new way of describing BG series as a "mindless monster bashing". I heard of people describing IWD in such a way, but to tell this of BG is exaggeration IMO. I fully share you feelings towards P:T - yes, it is a great game - but BG is another great game, and let us remember that without BG1 (and it's rightly deserved success) there would be no P:T whatsoever, nor any other Infinity game.

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:04 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Icewind Dale 2 is a solid game. I always liked the feel of the IWD games. Just a ragtag group of adventures you create to go kick ass. No complicated personal backstory (other than the ones you imagine), no fuss. Just straight up questing, exploring, and fighting. Dependable, polished, fun.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:51 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next