View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Oblivion review/info at TES Source

***Careful, there's some info about the story, etc in that review**

I didnt even read it that closely just in case, just skimmed the game mechanics and what not. Nice review over at TES Source

I know I have commented on some things that people already know, I however, have been taking in very little info personally on the game.

things that jumped out at me since I like using a bow-
"I’ve got plenty of arrows to spare so start testing out the bow and arrow system which links in flawlessly with the physics and dynamics system of the game. Shooting arrows against hard walls will cause them to ricochet off the walls and fall to the ground but shooting arrows against wooden crates will cause them to stick into the object. I then precede to pick-up the arrows from the floor and objects I’ve stuck them to. In combat you’ll find arrows rather amusing with the arrows sticking into your opponents, that is, of course, unless your opponent is a skeleton, in which case finding the arrows you used during your fight can often be quite hard in dark areas! Those players who like to get a few shots off on their bow before closing in with their blade will find it amusing to see enemies charging towards them with arrows stuck in all sorts of peculiar places."

"Blocking isn’t just for melee fights, however. When fighting enemies using bows you can charge at them until they fire a shot, block the arrow with your shield and then continue charging. Very useful for running down ranged enemies."

Environment stuff-
"Looking up the sun glares through clouds moving across the sky. At night the stars shine brightly. You’ll experience all sorts of weather systems during your time playing Oblivion; rain, snow, heat wave; it’s all there."

I dont like the quick travel thing either, I suppose one can choose to not use it in that case-
"Quick-travel is a new addition to Oblivion from Morrowind and one that has been hotly debated on forums. A lot welcome the addition but some of the hardcore fans resent it; personally I’m a part of the latter. In Morrowind you had the Silt Striders that could transport you to all the major cities and towns. It was like a train network with towns only providing transport to a couple of other towns so you had to plan your route. In Oblivion you get instant fast travel and horses. So not only can you get to the city you want to go to faster but you can then get out into the nearby wilderness a lot faster too. While in dungeons, loaded areas like houses or during combat you won’t be able to use fast-travel to stop you from trying to escape from dire situations. The system works well, but I just don’t appreciate it personally." Amen, bro

Horses!-
"According to Pete Hines, Head of PR at Bethesda horses are prestige additions to your character that the best and richest possess. It was nice thinking about that at about 4am in the morning while I was stealing a horse from outside of Bravil. The stable boy was asleep outside perhaps 15 metres from the horse I had my eye on, so I jumped the fence, put on my stealth mode, slowly opened the gate and climbed onto the horse. The stable boy remained still, asleep. So off I went to explore the wilderness, only this time with a horse head bobbing up and down on the screen. Naturally if I went into a major town the guards would have jumped on me, more than likely saying something along the lines of “license and registration please”."

The Arena-
"If fighting for kicks isn’t really your thing then you can bet on fights between gladiators and watch the fight in real-time. The Arena is an open circular playing field with around 30 NPC spectators all standing up cheering. You may find the football match crowd sounds a little odd but it adds a good atmosphere to the location; when a gladiator connects a hit the crowd will roar or groan and when one of the gladiators finally goes down an announcer will declare the winner. Naturally I lost my bet. Should probably level up my luck attribute a little more."
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:03 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Nice thanks.
The only real problem is see is his claim that hardcore don't like fast travel change form Morrowind.
Just not sure how hardcore he really is , doesnt seem to know that Daggerfall had fast travel, maybe he just forgot to mention it.
I honestly never played Arena so not sure if it orgianted in Daggerfall.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:52 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I never played Daggerfall, I tried firing it up a couple years ago but was deep into MW and was asking myself "why bother?".
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:09 pm
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

Ahh, thanks for the link. A nice read, but the author's comments about instant travel made me wonder about his Elder Scrolls history as well.

To answer Acleacius' unasked question: yes, Arena had instant travel. Hunting down eight pieces of an artifact made it necessary to visit all provinces of Tamriel, so instant travel came in pretty handy (or it would have taken you quite some time to finish the game - real time, I mean).

The Daggerfall game took place in parts of High Rock and Hammerfell only, but the game world was still huge (even bigger due to the astronomical number of towns and villages on the map). Even the Morrowind map (which covered only Vvardenfell and some smaller islands) made some people complain about distances... a 'smaller' map doesn't necessarily mean less travel.

To answer Samhain's unasked question: well, if you liked the general layout and idea of Morrowind, you would have loved Daggerfall - I'm sure of it. But I am, of course, biased.

For me, instant travel was a welcome option in both Arena and Daggerfall, and I must admit that I missed the feature in Morrowind, so I was quite pleased to hear that Oblivion (a nice place, by the way ) will have it as well.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:41 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

In a way, MW almost had instant travel, that is if you had a good Mark set up at say, the Mage Guild in Vivec.

Daggerfall is one of the games I plan on playing to completion when I'm like 70 years old, that and Arcanum
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:55 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Official Xbox Magazine reviewed a Gold copy of Oblivion a few weeks ago and gave it a 9.5. They logged 44 hours and here are some interesting stats from their 4 day play fest...

Hours Played = 44+
Number of save games = 400
Number of days passed in game = 80+
Number of quests completed = 56
Number of quests we'd taken but hadn't completed = 14
Number of items stolen 1529
Number of locks picked = 117
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:03 am