Need Help Installing
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Forsaken_Mannel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Need Help Installing

Okay, heres the problem. Wheneer I put in the disk the autorun pops up fine. But whenever I click install nothing happens. The next time I click anything it says autorun not responding. I'm not much of a computer wiz so any help will be much appreciated.
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:23 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k Forsaken_Mannel,

Welcome to the forums,

It may well be that your cd-rom will not "read" the cd, especially on certain types of dvd players, some dvd players/recorders have micro data tracks reading lasers' that are only 1 tenth the width of normal cd-cd/roms, maybe try it in a friends machine/pc to verify.

good luck
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:51 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Could also be an old problem. Have you ever installed the old demo of gothic 2 and did not remove it properly?
Also did you get this message from the first time you tried to install the game?
NFG member
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:35 pm
Forsaken_Mannel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I havent ever downloaded a demo for this game so thats not the problem. I guess I'll have to try it on a friends computer. But I think my computer can read the disk since the autorun starts, or maybe not. Thanks
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:37 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

If the cd has initialising codes for start up then it will try to implement, even if the other data is unreadable, maybe also check to see if the dma's are enabled for the hard drives and cd rom, this is a known problem as confirmed by the game developers.
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:59 am
Forsaken_Mannel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How do I check the dma's?
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:27 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I would assume then that you do indeed have a dvd device?

to check if your dma's are enabled, go to settingd/control-panel/system/hardware/device-manager/ide-atapi-controllers. - open properties/advanced settings for both primary and secondry depending on what hard drives - cd/dvd-roms you have - look for transfer mode, if not allready enabled try to have them set at ultra dma mode (something) if available, the ones that are greyed out is what you currently have.

If they are enabled and your motherboard chipset drivers are up to date then there isn't much more you can do on that topic.
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:16 pm
Forsaken_Mannel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My dmas are on the ultra dma and my computer is fairly new. I still cant find anyway to get this game to work. It worked on my friends computer, so whats wrong?
Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:12 pm
Rhuarre
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Waiting is the key

I was constantly getting a not responding when i checked task manager...because the install always hung up.

Turned out all I had to do was wait. Dont open task manager, if you do, it will just say the program is not responding. Just wait, and wait, and wait. Your cd player will grind. At least mine did. Just wait.

For me it eventually installed.
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:58 am
Forsaken_Mannel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

YAY!!!!!!! Finally it worked, I just waited like you recommended then after about ten minutes it worked!!!!!! Im so happy, thank you to everyone who helped me, THANK YOU. I hope to stick around these forums now that my games working!
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:28 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums!

And now that you´re here you can guess once what the recommendation in our technical FAQ was.
Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:02 am