Lost Interest
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
CCRUNNERBOY613
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lost Interest

Gothic 1 was 1 of my fav. games of all time, but having been waiting so long has made me lose interest in the game and i will not be buying the sequel. I dont know if anyone else feels this way but i grew so tired of waiting that i finally lost total interest in the game. Plus with all the delays G2 might not get out untill Q2 or so. Jowood drops the ball again!!!! and it has cost them at least 1 game sold (im sure im not alone)
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:35 am
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Lost Interest

quote:
Originally posted by CCRUNNERBOY613
it has cost them at least 1 game sold (im sure im not alone)

and im sure you are alone.
i've allready played this game and i can tell ya, you will miss a great game...
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:57 am
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hes not, I said the same thing 2 weeks ago.

Actually I called for a boycott of it just because I hate JoWood...needless to say the support wasnt very big (read nonexistant).
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:13 am
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Boycott Joywood is same as boycott PB, and PB guys don't deserve it, so i'll just wait, since i know i wait something really good and there is always Alistair who has done some great job with modding timekilling mods, while we are waiting for G2 english release.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:18 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I probably would have pre-ordered it before, but I’ve more or less lost interest as well. I’m sure I’ll get the game, but now I’ll be willing to wait until the price goes down.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:46 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am definitely still going to purchase the game, but my interest has dwindled a bit. I mean, I am still very excited about it, but I started playing Jagged Allaince 2 for the first time last week. It's an oldie that I overlooked but I love it!!! A good turn/based strategy game with RPG elements (set in modern times).
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:14 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Has it occured to anyone that the release of Gothic 2 isn't about you?

Here, I'll tell you a little secret that apparently no one has mentioned to some of you before... no one owes you anything. See? That's all... isn't it easy? Think of how simple life will be now that you know! No one owes you anything so when things like game delays happen you won't think that a publisher is doing it just to irritate you! Think of how much less stress you'll have--it'll be wonderful!!

Buy Gothic 2 or don't buy it, who cares? I've seen this same diatribe started in a couple of different threads, often by the same people. Fine, you're somehow personally offended that a game release has been delayed... oh well!

Frankly this is your hangup... it certainly isn't worth yet another "Why me" thread.

Last edited by Gig on Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:16 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Personally, I'm interested in the game whenever it comes out. Jowood is a company in business to make money. My guess is that they'll release the game when they have completed all the tasks necessary to get the product on store shelves. As I understand it, Jowood was nearly bankrupt a month or two ago. I would think that that near-brush with extinction must have slowed everything down internally.

I'm only speaking for myself, but I don't lose interest in games merely because they're delayed. I play a lot of console games. I love all the games published by a console company named Working Designs. Working Designs takes Japanese console games and translates them into English using funny, interesting, and clear dialogue. The problem with Working designs is that they never make their stated deadlines. I have waited as long as TWO YEARS past an initial deadline for a Working Designs game. That's a long wait, but so what. I wanted the game. The game came out eventually. I loved the game.

I agree with Gig that there is no useful point in personalizing a company's inability to meet a release date. I really don't think Jowood is holding the game back for malicious reasons. Jowood is in business to make money and would plop that game into all of our hands today if they could. For some reason, they can't. No big deal. The game will come out at some point, and I will definitely get my copy right away.

Actually, I suspect everyone who's complaining about the release date will buy it when it releases anyway. Will you really be able to resist the allure of playing this game once it relases? We all want to play this game a lot. We're better off as a group supporting the game whenever it comes out so we can see other games like Gothic II released by Jowood and other publishers. After all, if we collectively refuse to buy the game because we're annoyed about the delays, we may never see an English version of Gothic III or anything like it.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I don't mind when it is released. The sooner the funnier. The later the more money you will have. Always look at the bright side of life

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 pm
Rice Lord
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

U guys have a point...
...I replayed Gothic (I) just to remember the story more clearely ,so I could
play Gothic II (wich I tought would be released in February)..but when they anounced the english version 4 March I wanted to commit suicide....
What are they thinking....I've seen some screenshots of Gothic II..the graphics look greate ,now...but in 4-5 monts the graphics are not gonna be so good ,aspecially after some hardcore FPS are released....
Today it's March ,Tomorrow April and so on ...It's probably gonna be released in Q4 2005...
..If Gothic II is delayed one more time,i'm not gonna buy it...even some of my friends lost interest in Gothic since they got some new games...

(sorry 4 the writing errors)
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:25 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
I don't mind when it is released. The sooner the funnier. The later the more money you will have. Always look at the bright side of life

I don't mind when it is released either. I'm just a bit angry because this is Q1 already and JoWooD didn't even say a word about the release date. If they wish to delay the game, they should at least announce it instead of leaving us clueless.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:04 pm
Evil Timmy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Rice Lord
but in 4-5 monts the graphics are not gonna be so good ,aspecially after some hardcore FPS are released....

RPGs have never (well, very rarely) been about graphics. If an RPG had bad graphics, but a usable interface, good story, excellent character development, and a simple but complex enough to be fun RPG system, people would still buy it, and buy it in droves. In my opinion, graphics should only be noted in RPGs if they're exceptionally good, or so bad they take away from your gameplay. And since when has Fallout competed with Half-Life? They're two very different games with different fanbases.
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:47 am
Arexen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm sorry to say it but I lost interest in the Gothic series nearly four months ago. Although I redeemed myself last weekend, I've decided that it was actually a good thing I stopped playing it. For, if I had continued, I would have been suffering for the past months which would have considerably slowed my school year down to the point of being suicidal (Not really )
But now that GII's release is (supposedly) close at hand, I've decided to replay the game and come back to a Gothicy life-style
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:58 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

...i'm waiting till it's patched a bunch and in the bargain bin for a few reasons ...

1. i need a new comp so i have to wait anyway ...
2. i've decided to do this with all pc games from now on, i'm really really tired of buggy software and i have many other interests to occupy my time ...
3. it's so much cooler to get games for 10 - 20 bucks than pay 50 bucks for them

also ... i can always play deus ex and thief and thief 2 and planescape torment again while i wait, oh yeah and i can play my copy of gothic 1 (that i got for 9.99 brand new in the box) another couple times so i won't go crazy i hope ... i do want g2 really badly though but KoTOR is coming also quite soon as is sea dogs 2 and deus ex 2 ...
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:23 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy
I don't mind when it is released either. I'm just a bit angry because this is Q1 already and JoWooD didn't even say a word about the release date. If they wish to delay the game, they should at least announce it instead of leaving us clueless.
I just want to point out that this is the middle of Q1 and unless you guys have seen something I haven't seen G2 isn't really delayed. The only release date I have ever seen related to Gothic 2 was November for the German release. I have never seen any release date of any kind for G2 in English, just a target quarter, so how can JoWood miss a date that's never been set?

The only release dates that I've seen so far have been the ones that people have been randomly throwing around here that they found while surfing some basement dweller's website! That isn't official! Newsflash--the developers of G2 had a thread here of their very own where they talked to us! I doubt that "stinkymoser@creepmeout.net" knows any more about this stuff than we do.

The only official word from JoWood is Q1. It's still Q1 and it really isn't even down to the wire yet. It doesn't matter what you've heard or where you've heard it--JoWood said Q1--that's all. The rest of the accusations being thrown around are based on rumors and he-saids and don't mean anything-- move on!

Bottom line? JoWood said Q1, well... it's Q1... there's no problem here!
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:10 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next