Poor Capital Ships...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Poor Capital Ships...

Played to the point where I finally attained enough rank and money to look at buying an M6 if I wanted.

Well, I saved and grabbed a Centaur. 375,000 shields, three turrets, and 8 weapons pointed frontwards with a good sized power supply and cargo hold.

It promptly losts half its shields within seconds of meeting a pirate Falcon

All the firepower in the world means nothing if you can't readily bring it to bear on a target.

Once I did get a clear shot he was dust... but that one experience soured me to the idea of owning an M6. What are they good for? Ships pack so much firepower that two fighters can take out a M6 without pause. Hell, I took on two Nemesis at once with two alpha HEPTs... no ion disruptor even (haven't seen a need to mount one yet)... and won.

So I reloaded and bought a Nova Raider, with a speed of 145, and loaded it with 6 ahept and two aires. Anything I get a bead on for two sweet seconds is dead and my shields rarely dip below half. I'll use the 8 million I saved as a downpayment on a TL or to put up 8 factories.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:01 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Weapon tracking/firing speed is sort of borked in X3 - yet another thing they need to patch. HEPTs are particularly bad in the slow moving turrets. May I suggest PACS or even mass drivers instead. They have a much better ROF and hit success.

With these changes the Centaur should be much more effective at engaging and hitting multiple targets. Of course you still have to be careful ... the agility of M6 class ships is very poor. Better to use them as a ranged gun-boat. Don't tangle with too many fighters close-in. Those M3's in particular pack a hefty punch.
Post Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:07 pm