Hidden favorites (movies)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hidden favorites (movies)

There are so many good movies out there that are not popular but are better than most main stream movies. Some of my favorite movies that I recomend o everyone are:

The Great Santini (Robert Duval as the greatest dad the world has ever seen)

Fresh (It kind of looks like it would be a another Juice, or Boys in the Hood from the cover but this is one of the most intelligent and well made movies I've ever seen, everyone that I've ever got to watch it has loved it)

Punch-Drunk Love (This is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen, a lot of people I've told to rent it didn't like it at all or loved it so make sure you have a sense of humor that tends to understand slow, dry and someone dark humor before renting)

Condor (I'm not sure about the name but it has whats-His-name from the Last Castle. Robert Redford? Anyway its a guy that gets put into a situation of either becoming somewhat of a superspy or not living.)

Falling Down (This is actually pretty mainstream but just in case you havent seen it, this is one of the best movies made).

What are some of the movies you guys have seen and reommend that are not well heard of?
Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:43 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'll stick to fims in my native language, otherwise we could be here forever

Miller's Crossing - one of the Coen Brothers' less well-known films, but I think it's possibly their best.

Breaker Morant - Edward Woodward and Brian Brown in an excellent film about three allied soldiers court-martialled during the Boer War. Based on a true story. Aussie-made film, I think, and it is superb.

Sling Blade - starring Billy Bob Thornton, and his first film as writer & director (based on a short film he also starred in), about a mentally ill guy who has spent most of his life in an institution being released and returning to the "real" world. It's brilliant.

No Way Out - not the horrible Kevin Costner garbage, but an old (40's, I think) film starring Sidney Poitier as a doctor and Richard Widmark as a racist thug. I've only seen it once, but I remember it being very good and surprisingly (for such an old film) realistic in it's depiction of violence and racism; I keep an eye out for it in the TV listings, but whenever I see "No Way Out" it's always that hideous Costner debacle.

I know there's more, but that's all I can think of right now. I won't list any more old films... once I get started I'll never stop . Probably best left for another thread.

Is Fresh the one about the young kids? Featuring a nasty incident with a car tyre? If that's the one, I've seen it - good but not exactly a feelgood movie, right? I've seen it more than once, but I can never remember what happens.
Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:04 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't remember a car tire scene in Fresh. It has Laurence Fishborne in it (I think thats the right name, I am horrible with names), but its about his son, it is definitly not a feel good movie though.

Do you really spell tire with a y?
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:30 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Samuel L Jackson? I just had a look on www.imdb.com , it is the one I saw, although I can barely remember it. A few games of chess in it?

Tyre in England, tire in America. I've no idea why (no pun intended).
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:13 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yup, thats it. Great movie and there is chess.

Slingblade was a good movie, I haven't seen the others on your list or heard of them. I'll have to pick them up.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:45 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Best almost-unknown Sci-Fi/Comedy: Dark Star! If you like sci-fi comedies, check it out. It's got everything you could wish for - low production costs, a beach-ball alien, complete violations of the laws of physics, a sentient bomb, interplanetary surfing, and quotes a-plenty: "Don't give me any of that intelligent life crap, just give me something I can blow up."

Most underrated comedy: The Three Amigos! A marvellous romp, well worth watching if you like inane humour. Stars Chevy Chase, Martin Short and Steve Martin. "You shall die like dogs!" "No, we shall not die like dogs, we shall fight like lions!"

The Blues Brothers. I'm amazed by the number of people who still haven't seen this movie! Watch it! Watch it watch it watch it!
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:26 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I love Dark Star... I think it may even be John Carpenter's best film. The production values are alarmingly low, and the film is proof that budget and effects don't matter one bit. The guy who played Pinback is actually the screenwriter (Dan O'Bannon) who went on to write Alien, and many of that movie's elements (for instance, a scary alien) were originally intended for Dark Star, but deemed unacheivable with the resources they had.

And if you're a Blues Brothers fan (or not, even) check out John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd in Neighbors, it's hilarious and quite weird. I personally think it's better than Blues Bro's, although I think I'm in a minority there.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:34 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

Tank Girl *grin*
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:41 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

God ...by mentioning these older and less well known films you've made me recall an excellent Sci -Fi film ......

Silent Running.

Quite heartbreaking stuff ...poor Huey and Duey.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:17 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've seen Silent Running, but I can't remember it. Anyone seen THX 1138? A bit odd and full of 70's slow- and weird-ness, but the ending is great

And for some reason, I've just remembered Runaway Train... dead cheesy, and it stars the terrible Eric Roberts, but somehow it still manages to be really good. Great visual style and direction, and a great turn from Jon Voight.

Back to sci-fi... how about Cube? Despite some really bad lines in the script, and some serious overacting (mainly form the cop), I really enjoyed it. And I think it's probably the most resourceful use of a low budget I have ever seen.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:17 am
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

The Sunshine Boys - Walter Matthau, George Burns - comedy. Two aging comedians are reunited 20 years after they split up and they don't get along very well. "You're a funny man Al, a pain in the ass but a funny man."
Groundhog Day - Bill Murray, Andi MacDowell - comedy. Bill Murray is reliving the same day over and over. "What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!"
Glengarry Glen Ross - Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, Alec Baldwin - drama. This is a story about a group of salesmen and the drama that takes place after a crime is commited in their office"Will you go to lunch? Go to lunch. WILL YOU GO TO LUNCH?"

I know of more "hidden" gems but unfortunately I have the memory of a goldfish.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:50 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by cfmdobbie
Most underrated comedy: The Three Amigos! A marvellous romp, well worth watching if you like inane humour. Stars Chevy Chase, Martin Short and Steve Martin. "You shall die like dogs!" "No, we shall not die like dogs, we shall fight like lions!"

The Blues Brothers. I'm amazed by the number of people who still haven't seen this movie! Watch it! Watch it watch it watch it!

Saw those 2, cfmdobbie.

For me, but I don't know it's considered mainstream, Event Horizon as a space-horror story and Space Balls(Star Wars parodie) as a space comedy.
NFG member
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:42 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

The Blues Brothers!! One of my all-time favorites! Godd taste, mr. Dobbie!

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

Cube
Plunkett and Macleane
The Big Lebowski
He Died with a Felafel in His Hand
One Night at McCools
Brilliant Lies
Carve Her Name with Pride
Death and the Maiden
Deadly Mr Frost
Leon the Pig Farmer
The Prophecy
Brazil
Time Bandits (and I know I am missing more- can't think)

Pretty mainstream movies- most with excellent casts, but most of which you mention and no one has seen them.

Breaker Morant and Sling Blade are two of my favourite films, so is The Lighthorsemen- none of which got the same exposure as Gallipoli unfortunately.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:10 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

The Big Lobowski is my sisters favorite movie.

I remember Time Bandits from a long time ago.

Do you remember Ice Pirates?

I remeber Brazil a little, it had someone top of head blowing up on the cover right?
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:53 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next